Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WRAL/WRAZ in Raleigh???

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Any news on the Capitol Broadcasting/D* negotiations?

I have seen the moronic commercials on WRAL for months and am getting a little tired of them. I understand that Capital wants to be paid, but if they are not careful, they will price themselves out of their own market.

Specifically, if they play this game of chicken too much longer and force D* to remove the channels, we as users will just get our programming from somewhere else, e.g., online (legally and "not-so" legally) or just watch other networks.

The biggest loss for me will be the 11 PM nightly news, but honestly, I could just as well watch 11 (I'll be caught dead before I watch 17 @ 11 PM regularly).

We don't need these channels and can certainly learn to live w/o 'em. At the end of the day, I am NOT willing to pay more for these these two channels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't think the deadline is until the end of the year.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I agree, why is WRAL doing this. This is a free over the air channel. Why charge companies to carry your signal that you send out for free. The station makes its money from advertising that is on its channel.

I also love what they say on there site. They say they are the most popular channel on Directv.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Local affiliates make very little of their money from advertising; most of the expensive ads are during prime time. They pay the networks for that programming, they pay for the syndicated programs too. And they have to run a 500,000 watt transmitter... that's a heck of an electric bill. (That's right, I said heck!) And then DIRECTV or other pay-tv companies can remove their commercials and put in different ones any time.

Not that I sympathize with these TV stations, only pointing out that making money as a TV station isn't as easy as some make it sound.

#5 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I also love what they say on there site. They say they are the most popular channel on Directv.

If WRAL is the highest-rated local channel in the Raleigh/Durham market, then that would make them the most popular channel on DirecTV in the Raleigh/Durham market.

Actually, they might also be lumping themselves in with CBS as a whole, which, based on it being the highest-rated broadcast network, would therefore be the most popular channel on DirecTV nationally (via its various affiliates).
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#6 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

I agree, why is WRAL doing this. This is a free over the air channel. Why charge companies to carry your signal that you send out for free. The station makes its money from advertising that is on its channel.

You can also go outside and setup a barrel to collect free rainwater, but if you want it conveniently piped into your house, you pay the local municipal water supply to bring you what was available for free outside (or pay to dig a well - or put up a TV antenna - your choice).

#7 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Local affiliates make very little of their money from advertising; most of the expensive ads are during prime time. They pay the networks for that programming, they pay for the syndicated programs too. And they have to run a 500,000 watt transmitter... that's a heck of an electric bill. (That's right, I said heck!) And then DIRECTV or other pay-tv companies can remove their commercials and put in different ones any time.

Not that I sympathize with these TV stations, only pointing out that making money as a TV station isn't as easy as some make it sound.

I worked in a couple of TV stations back in the early 60's when the networks paid the stations to carry their programming. Back then I got the impression that owning a TV station was like having a license to print money.
Then I believe it was Fox that got the bright idea of making the affiliates pay for the privilege of carrying their programming. It didn't take long before all 4 were doing it. And the networks want the affiliates to pay them a portion of the fees they get from Directv and Dish.
This helps explain the endless commercials we have to put up with.

#8 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have not been a fan of WRAL for a long time. The only things I watch are the CBS SEC football and basketball games (when WRAL does not pre-empt them for regional broadcasts of ACC games), NCIS, and NCIS LA. I think WTVD (11) has much better local news, and there is nothing else to draw me to CBS or WRAL.

That said, I can get both WRAL and WFMY (Greensboro 2) OTA, and on a good day I can get WNCT (Greenville 9, which used to be the only way I could watch SEC games on CBS), so if WRAL goes dark on DirecTV, it is not a big deal to me. Let WRAL go under.

I am not a big fan of FOX, either. The only thing I watch on WRAZ is Bones, but I can get WRAZ OTA, too.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

I worked in a couple of TV stations back in the early 60's when the networks paid the stations to carry their programming. Back then I got the impression that owning a TV station was like having a license to print money.
Then I believe it was Fox that got the bright idea of making the affiliates pay for the privilege of carrying their programming. It didn't take long before all 4 were doing it. And the networks want the affiliates to pay them a portion of the fees they get from Directv and Dish.
This helps explain the endless commercials we have to put up with.

Precisely. At one time a TV station was an easy money maker. Not so today.

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

And then DIRECTV or other pay-tv companies can remove their commercials and put in different ones any time.

When did that become something OK to do? I know that DIRECTV/Dish/Cable can do that on cable channels in certain slots but never heard that it's OK for them to supercede local content for their own.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

When did that become something OK to do? I know that DIRECTV/Dish/Cable can do that on cable channels in certain slots but never heard that it's OK for them to supercede local content for their own.

Its not. They would be violating their retransmission agreements.

There are positions on cable channels for the MVPD to sell, but the local channels must be broadcast entact as per the retransmission agreements.

#12 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Free Antenna offer (well $10 shipping) for Direct TV viewers in WRAL area!

http://www.antennasdirect.com/wral/
DirecTV customer since 1995

#13 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Free Antenna offer (well $10 shipping) for Direct TV viewers in WRAL area!

http://www.antennasdirect.com/wral/

If it is the same antenna they gave away when the analog signal went dark, it is a UHF only antenna. It works well for all of the local channels except WTVD, which reverted back to the VHF channel 11 after the digital conversion.

I still have my VHF/UHF antenna in the attic from before the locals were available on DirecTV and have no problem getting all of the local channels plus some of the Greensboro channels.

#14 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

I see that Time Warner Cable dropping NBC 17 is even a greater possibility than DirecTV dropping WRAL and WRAZ. I would rather see all three dropped than see DirecTV and TWC giving in to the demands of these stations. I believe that DirecTV and TWC are doing the stations a favor by getting their signals to more viewers. If the channels go dark on DirecTV or TWC, it is the stations that lose viewers, and therefore, advertisement dollars. When will they learn?

#15 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

It is not really a problem for us. I can get the network shows on demand from my Roku box. A laptop with a HDMI cable would work also. I would think these stations made pretty good money from political advertising this year.

#16 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

I see that Time Warner Cable dropping NBC 17 is even a greater possibility than DirecTV dropping WRAL and WRAZ. I would rather see all three dropped than see DirecTV and TWC giving in to the demands of these stations. I believe that DirecTV and TWC are doing the stations a favor by getting their signals to more viewers. If the channels go dark on DirecTV or TWC, it is the stations that lose viewers, and therefore, advertisement dollars. When will they learn?

Here in Greenville NC, Time Warner and WNCT 9s contract expires 12/31.
WNCT is a media general station just like WNCN NBC 17.

#17 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

I ordered the free (with $10 shipping) HD antenna. Works well for every channel except WTVD.

I'll have to agree to disagree with the earlier poster regarding the news on WRAL vs. WTVD. I've always thought WRAL was better.

If WRAL does leave the DirecTV menu on Jan. 1, would DTV make WFMY (CBS affiliate in Greensboro) available? Although it shows up on my guide, I can't watch anything on WFMY. But, for some reason, I can receive WGHP (the Triad Fox affiliate.

#18 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

AM21 reinstalled...all systems go. Person of Interest and Bones set for OTA.

If there is a loss of service I imagine it will be resolved prior to February 3rd.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#19 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I ordered the free (with $10 shipping) HD antenna. Works well for every channel except WTVD.

I'll have to agree to disagree with the earlier poster regarding the news on WRAL vs. WTVD. I've always thought WRAL was better.

If WRAL does leave the DirecTV menu on Jan. 1, would DTV make WFMY (CBS affiliate in Greensboro) available? Although it shows up on my guide, I can't watch anything on WFMY. But, for some reason, I can receive WGHP (the Triad Fox affiliate.

I "think" most customers in the western part of Wake County get channel 2 and can watch the programing. Do you get some sort of on screen message?
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#20 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

DirecTV cannot authorize anyone in the RDU DMA to receive WFMY, regardless of whether DirecTV carries WRAL. Because of WRAL's exclusivity agreement with CBS, it is WRAL or nothing from DirecTV or DISH; however, there is nothing to prevent you from watching WFMY OTA. In Cary, I can receive both WFMY and WRAL OTA. In Durham, you should definitely be able to get WFMY OTA, and you can probably get WRAL.

spam firewall