Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

since C31s unreliable, switch for H24s?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'm another guy growing tired of resetting our newly installed HR34 every day because of gray screens at C21 clients- so I was wondering-

would there be any disadvantage (other than size) of just asking DirecTV to take back 2 C31s and replace them with H24s? I'd then have
SWiM16 switch
1 HR34
1 HR24
1 C31 (that came with Genie install)
2 H24s

Essentially I'd be replacing 2 C31s with 2 H24s. That would only leave me one unreliable C31 left. As for remote clients- at any one time both H24s and the C31 could be viewing the HR34, right? Anything wrong with this idea? Thanks everyone...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

You wouldn't get the ability to pause live TV with the H24s. To me that's a biggie.

It may seem like a tough thing to take now, but C31 and HR34 are the most important projects at DIRECTV. They will improve, I promise.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Are C31's really that unreliable?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'm another guy growing tired of resetting our newly installed HR34 every day because of gray screens at C21 clients- so I was wondering-

would there be any disadvantage (other than size) of just asking DirecTV to take back 2 C31s and replace them with H24s? I'd then have
SWiM16 switch
1 HR34
1 HR24
1 C31 (that came with Genie install)
2 H24s

Essentially I'd be replacing 2 C31s with 2 H24s. That would only leave me one unreliable C31 left. As for remote clients- at any one time both H24s and the C31 could be viewing the HR34, right? Anything wrong with this idea? Thanks everyone...

First thing, you'd need to get an SWM-16 installed. Currently you have 7 tuners in use (5 for HR34, 2 for HR24). With the new setup, you'd have 9 (same 7 plus one each for the H24s). That doesn't work. Don't know how your setup is wired, so that might require additional cabling. And DirecTV might charge for that upgrade.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,980 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

It seems clear that the OP acknowledges the need for a SWM16.

The wiring shouldn't need to change unless the C31 is running on some old RG59.

Size-wise the H25 might be a better comparison.

The only real question, as Stuart pointed out, is how great the need for being able to pause live TV is. For many, it is not as big a deal as having to reboot a server frequently.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

thanks for your help guys. First- I already have a SWiM16 so I wouldn't need one- and definitely RG6 everywhere... but the question is moot anyway.

I called DirecTV- they escalated the request due to me being a 13 year customer with a big bill every month. Bottom line- I'm stuck with those C31's. They've charged me for them and the H34 ($535)-- and there is no refunds no exchanges. They know this is a nationwide issue but still- no refunds- no exchanges. Also I agreed to a new contract date when upgrading so I'd be subject to penalities ($240 I think) even if I cancelled service

So that takes care of that. Buyer beware out there.

As to C31's unreliable- so far I have to reset the HR34 every day to keep them working- and sometimes soon thereafter I have to reset a C31 acting up. I'd say that's unreliable- but it's in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Both CSRs I spoke to were sympathetic- one saying his C31's gray screened every other day too- but we'll just have to wait.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Mr. Clarke, the amount of time you spend resetting is not normal. There are many people who don't have the same level of trouble. Given that you are a 13-year customer my suspicion is that there are some wiring issues that aren't detectable using normal means. I know that I've had some issues with my wiring in the last 10 years.

Unfortunately the service people aren't completely trained in diagnosing these issues and that makes things worse.

You have my apologies for this short message but hopefully someone here will step in and give you some steps to diagnose whole-home issues.

#8 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks Stuart. As for wiring- it's a new house (4 years old)- with either 2 or 4 RG6 in every room meeting in a central patch pannel. This was a "structured wiring package" that appears very clean and tight. Direct installed the SWiM16 is only a year ago along with a new dish.

Eveything's worked without an issue - strong signal strengths everywhere- never a network issue- up until Genie last Saturday. Flawless. MRV has worked well even through the early beta stages- (although it was originally via our wired ethernet network until last Saturday when we went DECA). Today I tried disconnecting the DECA BB adapter from the ethernet network just to see what will happen.

#9 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Mr. Clarke, the amount of time you spend resetting is not normal. There are many people who don't have the same level of trouble. Given that you are a 13-year customer my suspicion is that there are some wiring issues that aren't detectable using normal means. I know that I've had some issues with my wiring in the last 10 years.

Unfortunately the service people aren't completely trained in diagnosing these issues and that makes things worse.

You have my apologies for this short message but hopefully someone here will step in and give you some steps to diagnose whole-home issues.

I wouldn't say resetting the HR34 once a day is that abnormal. There are many people with the same level of trouble. It seems to happen more often the more clients a person has and the more often they're used.

For whole-home issues, run a system test by pressing and holding info on the HR34. Only 2 tests should fail: phone and the dropped session error.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#10 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I only get the DROPPED SESSION ERROR. What exactly is that??????? something about network playback issues. Playback works fine on all my clients and HR34.

I have a phone connected for caller id.

diag code 79-699

For whole-home issues, run a system test by pressing and holding info on the HR34. Only 2 tests should fail: phone and the dropped session error.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Stuart. As for wiring- it's a new house (4 years old)- with either 2 or 4 RG6 in every room meeting in a central patch pannel. This was a "structured wiring package" that appears very clean and tight. Direct installed the SWiM16 is only a year ago along with a new dish.

Eveything's worked without an issue - strong signal strengths everywhere- never a network issue- up until Genie last Saturday. Flawless. MRV has worked well even through the early beta stages- (although it was originally via our wired ethernet network until last Saturday when we went DECA). Today I tried disconnecting the DECA BB adapter from the ethernet network just to see what will happen.

Since you're new to DECA, it wouldn't hurt to run the coax networking tests to "eliminate" any issues there.
If you press the guide & right arrow [both] "buttons" on the front panel of the HR34, it will bring up a menu with coax as an option on the left.

There are two tests: phy loss and Phy rate mesh.
If the loss is less than -45, and the mesh is in the 240 range, then your networking isn't the problem.

There more on these tests here:

http://forums.solids...ing-for-DIRECTV

Another thing that seems to be having some affect is disabling UPnP in the router.

Edited by veryoldschool, 18 December 2012 - 09:01 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I only get the DROPPED SESSION ERROR. What exactly is that???????

Every time you turn off a C31, the Genie "sees this" as a dropped session. This makes this "error" rather meaningless these days.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   camf

camf

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

thanks for your help guys. First- I already have a SWiM16 so I wouldn't need one- and definitely RG6 everywhere... but the question is moot anyway.

I called DirecTV- they escalated the request due to me being a 13 year customer with a big bill every month. Bottom line- I'm stuck with those C31's. They've charged me for them and the H34 ($535)-- and there is no refunds no exchanges. They know this is a nationwide issue but still- no refunds- no exchanges. Also I agreed to a new contract date when upgrading so I'd be subject to penalities ($240 I think) even if I cancelled service

So that takes care of that. Buyer beware out there.

As to C31's unreliable- so far I have to reset the HR34 every day to keep them working- and sometimes soon thereafter I have to reset a C31 acting up. I'd say that's unreliable- but it's in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Both CSRs I spoke to were sympathetic- one saying his C31's gray screened every other day too- but we'll just have to wait.

What color are the.barrels in the wall plate? Are there any crimped on connectors? Is the dielectric flush inside the.connectors?

#14 OFFLINE   camf

camf

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Intermingled Ports on splitters.are a huge cause of what you.are experiencing

#15 OFFLINE   camf

camf

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

*unterminated

#16 OFFLINE   camf

camf

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

A "rebuild" with terminated Ports and a "simplifying" of a system should have been done on every genie system as they are sensitive as hell

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I wouldn't say they are that sensitive, but there are considerations with RVU that aren't there in other topologies.

#18 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 848 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

With all due respect, what advances in D*'s platform has NOT created reliability issues for the first 18-24 months? The HR20s were unstable for at least that time compared the HR10-250s most were replacing and the HR34 for being in the wild for a year now certainly continues the tradition. Fortunately, as stated above, it is a priority and they do always eventually get everything stabilized and working correctly.

As for the OPs original statements, after spending $535 and still being tied to a 2 year contract, that's why I go with "owned" equipment now.

If you have the an experience, you can easily sell off the "owned" C31s and replace with H24 or H25 - especially with D*'s attitude. That is a luxury anyone who buys a new "leased" unit does not have.

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Mr. Idiot, may I ask that we keep this thread on the topic of C31 Genie Clients?

#20 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Makes sense. thanks for the reply. So, just ignore that error in a diag test.

Every time you turn off a C31, the Genie "sees this" as a dropped session. This makes this "error" rather meaningless these days.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...