Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

since C31s unreliable, switch for H24s?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

There are two tests: phy loss and Phy rate mesh.
If the loss is less than -45, and the mesh is in the 240 range, then your networking isn't the problem.

Thanks Veryoldschool- I ran those last night and have attached screen shots. Phy levels ranged from -22 to -33, mesh from 240 - 279.

This morning I had "no servers were detected" on all clients. I've had gray screens 2 days out of the last 5.

Also- I've got an Apple Airport Extreme- which doesn't support UPnP from what I've read. It does support NAT-PMP (an Apple variant?) and it's on. Should I disable that? Thank you all. John

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0796.jpg
  • IMG_0797.jpg

Edited by jsclarke, 20 December 2012 - 09:49 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   ghscott

ghscott

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

I have been having the same issues with the C31 for a month now. I called today and they are replacing two of the them with H24's, shipping overnight. I had to escalate to customer retention and then to a manager within customer retention. She told me the HR34 and the C31's have been nightmares, and they are working out issues everyday. It took about 2 hours on the phone, but I will finally have the C31's out of my life.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Veryoldschool- I ran those last night and have attached screen shots. Phy levels ranged from -22 to -33, mesh from 240 - 279.

This morning I had "no servers were detected" on all clients. I've had gray screens 2 days out of the last 5.

Also- I've got an Apple Airport Extreme- which doesn't support UPnP from what I've read. It does support NAT-PMP (an Apple variant?) and it's on. Should I disable that? Thank you all. John

What happens if you remove the internet connection, and restore network defaults on everything?
We had to do this with some MRV systems, just to eliminate anything on the home network as a cause.

Also, while not your problem, the phy rate Mesh, between nodes 2 & 4 shows 222 which isn't very good. All the others look fine.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

well... since new firmware came out Friday morning- (0x05D4)... I haven't had a single problem with any of our 3 C31s. Knock on wood... 3 days in a row without an issue (as opposed to a reboot req'd every 1 - 1.5 days)

#25 OFFLINE   pizzmoe

pizzmoe

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Good to hear. I was told the firmware was being released any day now.

#26 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

oh well- as others have reported the latest C31 firmware didn't eliminate black / gray screen lock ups on our C31s... just got one yesterday. So for us, the frequency of the problem is lower the latest firmware didn't eliminate the problem.

#27 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hello Stuart Sweet,
Regarding your first reply to jsclarke (#2) your first sentence in the second paragraph is most intriguing. "It may seem like a tough thing to take now, but C31 and HR34 are the most important projects at DIRECTV." I think that the C31's are extremely important to DirecTV's plans in my opinion due to the new equipment of the future the HR44. I speculate that the HR44 (2 manufacturers - 500 and -700) can work only with clients due to the design of the HR44 (8 tuners which is again pure gessing on my part). Since the current limit is 8 tuners per whatever a person with one HR44 could only use C31 or its successor clients (CXX's) to watch other televisions as the 8 tuner limit has been reached with a HR44. The HR34 hs only been manufactured by one company and I would describe it as a "proof of concept" DVR that was halfway between current 2 tuner DVR's and an 8 tuner DVR. This is based upon the fact that no one else is manufacturing the HR34 since they first were offered to the hardware beta testers and continuing onward to the present day. I have been puzzled as to why DirecTV did not get a second manufacturer for the HR34. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" seems appropriate regarding DirecTV having only one manufacturer of the HR34.
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#28 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

8 tuner limit? Can't we do 16 tuners (8 dual tuner DVRs) now with the SWM16 and two splitters?

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,535 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

The swm16 does do 16 tuners. However I don't think the HR44 will have that many tuners. I've seen a potential number of 3.

However, there are a lot of customers with a current limit of 8.

#30 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

not sure if this is related but....

constant grey screens every day or every other day sometimes means the clients aren't activated, might be on directv side but not on equipment side.

Very frustrating trying to figure out if clients are active. They will work even if not called in and activated on directv side also. This will cause every day grey screens.

Kinda bad deal for those of us who have to activate over the automated phone system, sometimes the auto system screws up and doesn't activate the client, and the tech loses his pay for that. No way to know unless call directv and talk to live person after holding for 20 minutes to "check" of they are active.

Alot of clients will work along time without activation if there is no internet connected to the system as well. Once you hook up internet then they start getting grey screens.
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#31 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

not sure if this is related but....

constant grey screens every day or every other day sometimes means the clients aren't activated, might be on directv side but not on equipment side.

Very frustrating trying to figure out if clients are active. They will work even if not called in and activated on directv side also. This will cause every day grey screens.

Kinda bad deal for those of us who have to activate over the automated phone system, sometimes the auto system screws up and doesn't activate the client, and the tech loses his pay for that. No way to know unless call directv and talk to live person after holding for 20 minutes to "check" of they are active.

Alot of clients will work along time without activation if there is no internet connected to the system as well. Once you hook up internet then they start getting grey screens.

Interesting....

A different experience here....there's Internet connected and the C31 works fine most of the time linked to the HR34 here. About once a week...we need to reboot it as it locks up...which is admittedly annoying more than anything else. Clearly it needs a firmware update to correct a few remaining issues.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...