Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installer didn't leave CCK.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

If this is true about DTV having some plans for the ethernet port in the future, should call back and request a wired CCK, since it was supposed to be included with the installation? The installer plugged my ethernet directly into the port on the HR34. It seems to be working ok, and he did it this way since I had an ethernet cable already run from the router to the install location, He refused to leave the CCK, since it worked without it. If, at some point, I actually NEED this wired CCK, I dont want have to pay for it later, or pay for a tech visit.
Should I call them back??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by peds48_installs

It is HIGHLY recommended that if you have a tech go to your house to install the Genie, to take the WIRED CCK, as DirecTV have plans in the future to use the H34's ethernet port for something else. I would not take the wireless CCK if a wired option is feasible available. The CCK connection is always free of charge.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

The installer is required to connect you to the internet. a CCK is the preferred method.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

You're fine with the way you have it setup right now. You're not losing anything. Installing a CCK won't be adding any extra features into your network. If the CCK is free I'd get it for the hell of it. My installer never even hooked up our internet because he said it wasn't in the order. So I ordered a free CCK and hooked it all up myself.

#4 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I stated I *WAS* connected to the internet. Ethernet plugs directly into the HR34.

The installer is required to connect you to the internet. a CCK is the preferred method.

#5 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

How did you go about ordering the "FREE CCK".? Looks like $25 plus shipping when I look in my account management.

You're fine with the way you have it setup right now. You're not losing anything. Installing a CCK won't be adding any extra features into your network. If the CCK is free I'd get it for the hell of it. My installer never even hooked up our internet because he said it wasn't in the order. So I ordered a free CCK and hooked it all up myself.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Call DIRECTV and press the issue gently and nicely until they send you what you need.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

If this is true about DTV having some plans for the ethernet port in the future, should call back and request a wired CCK, since it was supposed to be included with the installation? The installer plugged my ethernet directly into the port on the HR34. It seems to be working ok, and he did it this way since I had an ethernet cable already run from the router to the install location, He refused to leave the CCK, since it worked without it. If, at some point, I actually NEED this wired CCK, I dont want have to pay for it later, or pay for a tech visit.
Should I call them back??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by peds48_installs

It is HIGHLY recommended that if you have a tech go to your house to install the Genie, to take the WIRED CCK, as DirecTV have plans in the future to use the H34's ethernet port for something else. I would not take the wireless CCK if a wired option is feasible available. The CCK connection is always free of charge.

You are connected to the internet, that is all that matters. Why are you making such a big deal about this? You will not need the CCK if you are hardwired to the internet. It was most likely deleted off the order and if you callback they will likely charge you to send someone back out.

#8 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Not making a big deal out of it..... No issue now with the way its hooked up. thinking down the road if I need it, I dont have it.
It was on the order.

You are connected to the internet, that is all that matters. Why are you making such a big deal about this? You will not need the CCK if you are hardwired to the internet. It was most likely deleted off the order and if you callback they will likely charge you to send someone back out.

Attached Thumbnails

• order.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Not making a big deal out of it..... No issue now with the way its hooked up. thinking down the road if I need it, I dont have it.
It was on the order.

And when a technician does not use a product on the order it is supposed to be deleted and most likely was. You are making a big deal out of it because you have posted on multiple forums the same thing.:confused: You dont need it now and I don't believe you will need it despite what peds said may happen in the future and if you do worry about it then.

#10 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

your luck you got it for free, and it useless, they made me paid $99 for mine and the installer didn't hookup it, because he saw i had Ethernet plugs directly into mine box

#11 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,477 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

your luck you got it for free, and it useless, they made me paid $99 for mine and the installer didn't hookup it, because he saw i had Ethernet plugs directly into mine box

Who made you pay for something you didn't need and also didn't get installed. Do you still have it?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

When did you become the forum police? :nono:

And when a technician does not use a product on the order it is supposed to be deleted and most likely was. You are making a big deal out of it because you have posted on multiple forums the same thing.:confused: You dont need it now and I don't believe you will need it despite what peds said may happen in the future and if you do worry about it then.

#13 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

How did you go about ordering the "FREE CCK".? Looks like $25 plus shipping when I look in my account management.

if you have whole home dvr it is sometimes free on accounts as really the cck comes with whole home at no additonal charge. whole home with no cck usually 199; whole home with cck still 199.

It also goes by your account payment history. oh and free offers do not show up online, you have to call them

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

if you have whole home dvr it is sometimes free on accounts as really the cck comes with whole home at no additonal charge. whole home with no cck usually 199; whole home with cck still 199.

It also goes by your account payment history. oh and free offers do not show up online, you have to call them

You can get free offers on-line. I've routinely gone to my account info and seen that I can get a HD-DVR for free or for $99. Other discounts though, such as free premium cable packages or monthly discounts, need the subscriber to call in though.

As for the cost of the CCK, originally, many people were charged to have the CCK added to their Whole Home install. Now, it is included with the Whole Home install.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#15 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I believe it was part of the special promotion but it was left out in the order for it to be installed. Luckily I could have easily used a direct line like you and not used it.

#16 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Unfortunately, the free CCK-W offer that DirecTV was running this fall seems to be over. Looks like the price will start at $25+shipping and go up from there, depending on the services you have active on the account.

:(

#17 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

BUT, it was a part of the original new customer order. The tech seen the direct connect to the HR34 worked, so he didn't bother leaving it, or connecting it.

Unfortunately, the free CCK-W offer that DirecTV was running this fall seems to be over. Looks like the price will start at $25+shipping and go up from there, depending on the services you have active on the account.

:(

#18 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,477 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

BUT, it was a part of the original new customer order. The tech seen the direct connect to the HR34 worked, so he didn't bother leaving it, or connecting it.

I really think you're all set.

I cannot imagine what the ethernet port might be used for ..... if not for the exact connection you now have.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#19 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Everything is working now. HR34 and 2 c31's can all access the internet, so I'm set for now. not gonna worry.

I really think you're all set.

I cannot imagine what the ethernet port might be used for ..... if not for the exact connection you now have.

#20 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Even on the DTV help channel - 1, it shows a direct Ethernet cable from the receiver to the router. It only suggests the CCK if you aren't able to make that connection because of location. I think the direct Ethernet connection is their standard if it's possible.

spam firewall