Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Adds More Than 30 New Networks to TV Everywhere

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

However, the iPhone told me I needed to be on wifi, not on my home network.FWIW, I cannot watch Live TV on Shorts, beIN, Audience, AXS or Sony on my iPhone over 3G either. I am sure that is AT&T doing it.

Make sure under More>Settings>Scroll to the very bottom, Streaming on cellular is ON

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Make sure under More>Settings>Scroll to the very bottom, Streaming on cellular is ON

Yup. That was it. Thanks.

Back to point....the app does give you TV anywhere there is a network. Just not much live streaming outside your house.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#43 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

The BS of DirecTV & Apple --- Sorry this doesnt support on Jailbroken devices must be fixed.

Works fine on my iPhone. If you weren't satisfied with how Apple does their devices, why didn't you go with Android from the start?

I think it is rather stupid to break the standard functionality (and indeed, DRM) and then expect that companies like DirecTV support phones that have been hacked, cracked and changed by 3d party software.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#44 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

I think it is rather stupid to break the standard functionality (and indeed, DRM) and then expect that companies like DirecTV support phones that have been hacked, cracked and changed by 3d party software.

Actually, it's rather stupid that there is DRM in the first place because all it does ruin the customer experience. Meanwhile almost every single television show in existence can be found in full HD, minus commercials on the internet. Sometimes before they even air locally!

DRM does nothing to stop or slow piracy. It's just a nuisance that gives content providers a false sense of achieving something, anything, when it comes to content theft.

Anyway, I have a HP touchpad, running cyanogen 10 (jellybean) and I have no DRM issues. The DirecTV app works fine (even though it is basically worthless.)

#45 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,078 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Works fine on my iPhone. If you weren't satisfied with how Apple does their devices, why didn't you go with Android from the start?

I thought I skimmed across a news article a while ago that T-Mobile will (finally) begin selling the iPhone. So shouldn't the need for 'jailbreaking" soon be gone anyhow?

#46 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

this DirecTV "Everywhere" is a joke. What they need is a Slingbox type of app where you can remotely control your DVR and watch everything on it or Live TV through it everywhere as if you were sitting at home in front of your TV. Now THAT would truly be DirecTV "EVERYWHERE" I don't know if patents or whatever are preventing DirecTV from doing this or they simply don't want or care to invest into this type of product, but what they currently call DirecTV everywhere, is a joke compared to that. This thing is just misleading marketing to people that don't know any better.

Yup, this. Exactly.

#47 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Simply put, I "own" it.

Yes, but terms of the warranty dictate it isn't altered and they have every right to make sure the apps function only on those devices that haven't been changed.

For obvious reasons...imagine training a customer service force to not only be able to answer questions about how the product is supposed to work, but also how people have modified it and any millions of permutations that can take.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

HBO Go, Showtime Anywhere, Max Go are all available to Directv subscribers.

Showtime Anytime

Starz Play and Encore Play were made available yesterday to DIRECTV customers

Edited by Satelliteracer, 21 December 2012 - 02:41 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Actually, it's rather stupid that there is DRM in the first place because all it does ruin the customer experience. Meanwhile almost every single television show in existence can be found in full HD, minus commercials on the internet. Sometimes before they even air locally!

DRM does nothing to stop or slow piracy. It's just a nuisance that gives content providers a false sense of achieving something, anything, when it comes to content theft.

Anyway, I have a HP touchpad, running cyanogen 10 (jellybean) and I have no DRM issues. The DirecTV app works fine (even though it is basically worthless.)

I would disagree with this. For many people DRM does stop those types of things. The more technologically savvy obviously get creative, but DRM is in place not because of DISH, or DIRECTV or TWC, it's in place from the content providers as they want to protect their investments. Creating content isn't free, unfortunately all too many people in this country think it is or should be free as if actors, production folks, editors, producers, etc, don't exist in the process. (By the way, not saying you feel this way, but I've heard people make this argument that everything should be free...at that point I ask when they are going to start working for free and that tends to stop the insanity. :) )
DIRECTV employee

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,376 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Showtime Anytime

Starz Play and Encore Play was made available yesterday to DIRECTV customers

Suuuuu-weeeeeet!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#51 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

I would disagree with this. For many people DRM does stop those types of things. The more technologically savvy obviously get creative

You don't need to be technologically savvy to visit a torrent website and click download or visit a TV streaming website and click play.

As for content being free...I'm dropping a Benjamin ++ every month for this content so no, I don't consider it free. Actually, I think I'm getting my clocked cleaned as to get the 25 or so channels I want to watch I have to pay for 200 other channels.

DRM is draconian and doesn't serve a purpose in this day and age. Stopping a paying DirecTV customer for watching a TV show on a jailbroken iPad is not going to suddenly make that TV show unavailable elsewhere on the 'net. The only thing it does is frustrate the paying customer. Not allowing a customer to watch HBO on their old TV does nothing but anger the customer - it doesn't stop one single download of Game of Thrones from torrent sites. It doesn't stop a single episode of True Blood from being streamed illegally. Actually, it probably encourages it.

Edited by zeus, 21 December 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

You don't need to be technologically savvy to visit a torrent website and click download or visit a TV streaming website and click play.

As for content being free...I'm dropping a Benjamin ++ every month for this content so no, I don't consider it free. Actually, I think I'm getting my clocked cleaned as to get the 25 or so channels I want to watch I have to pay for 200 other channels.

DRM is draconian and doesn't serve a purpose in this day and age. Stopping a paying DirecTV customer for watching a TV show on a jailbroken iPad is not going to suddenly make that TV show unavailable elsewhere on the 'net. The only thing it does is frustrate the paying customer. Not allowing a customer to watch HBO on their old TV does nothing but anger the customer - it doesn't stop one single download of Game of Thrones from torrent sites. It doesn't stop a single episode of True Blood from being streamed illegally. Actually, it probably encourages it.

Simply don't jailbreak your iPhone. I have yet to hear a compelling argument in favor of jailbreaking.
DTV = Digital Television

#53 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Simply don't jailbreak your iPhone. I have yet to hear a compelling argument in favor of jailbreaking.

For the iPad there are tons of valuable tweaks like retina pad, springtomize and a slew of great themes. For the iPhone all I really miss is iBlacklist. I'm on the iPhone 5 now which doesn't have a jailbreak, so for now I put electric companies that are trying to get me to switch 5 times a day into their own contact with a custom ringtone and vibration that is set to "none". Unfortunately they still clutter up my call logs. IBlacklist (a firewall for your phone basically) is a valuable feature.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#54 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I'm on the iPhone 5 now which doesn't have a jailbreak, so for now I put electric companies that are trying to get me to switch 5 times a day into their own contact with a custom ringtone and vibration that is set to "none". Unfortunately they still clutter up my call logs. IBlacklist (a firewall for your phone basically) is a valuable feature.

Not sure who your provider is, but both AT&T and Verizon offer usage controls that allow you to block incoming calls. AT&T charges a nominal $4.99 mo. while Verizon does not charge any additional. No jailbreaking is required either.

http://www.att.net/s...mitsForWireless

http://support.veriz...e.html?id=20989

Sorry if I got a little off topic. :backtotop

#55 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

Yes, but terms of the warranty dictate it isn't altered and they have every right to make sure the apps function only on those devices that haven't been changed.

For obvious reasons...imagine training a customer service force to not only be able to answer questions about how the product is supposed to work, but also how people have modified it and any millions of permutations that can take.

...you mean like android? :)

#56 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

I could list at least a thousand, but it would probably be over your head and this isn't the place for it. When you buy a device, it is yours and you have the right to customize it as you will.

That aside, I'd never buy a device from a company that wasn't meant to be tweaked at origin - which is why I prefer android for phones/tablets and linux for desktops/laptops.

#57 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,376 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I could list at least a thousand, but it would probably be over your head and this isn't the place for it. When you buy a device, it is yours and you have the right to customize it as you will.

That aside, I'd never buy a device from a company that wasn't meant to be tweaked at origin - which is why I prefer android for phones/tablets and linux for desktops/laptops.

No need to drop insults.

And you have no legal right to modify your android to fire killer laser beams. :hurah:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#58 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

You do. But when the terms of service say if you do then your service is invalidated, then you really can't expect things to work if the service does not allow them.

You can saw your iPhone in half if you want. You own it. Just don't expect it to work as advertised.

You don't like the Apple model, don't buy an apple device. Simple as that. I'm happy I have. I have friends who have continual issues with their droid devices. I'm sure there are this that wok well but the droid market is too flexible. Some devices work better than others. You make your choice.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#59 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

I could list at least a thousand, but it would probably be over your head and this isn't the place for it.

I sincerely doubt that. On both counts.
DTV = Digital Television

#60 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Let's get back to the topic of the added channels and quit discussion on modified unsupported devices.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...