Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Adds More Than 30 New Networks to TV Everywhere

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Certainly any expansion of the viewing experience is good news, even when it may only benefit a subset of the customer base.

Supporting rooted/altered devices is not something one would typically or realistically expect from any service.

Despite likely not using this personally, it doesn't preclude anyone from being glad for those who will us it.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

It very handy for someone like me who doesn't have the CCK/Internet for On Demand, but uses their TV as thier computer monitor. That way, any PPV's that aren't availabe on Cinema, i can now just order and watch online through my TV. :) Also, prior to Showtime/Starz starting up their Go variants, I was able to do their on demand services.
--
So very well put HDtvFan :)

#63 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

If you go to a family or friends house with DirecTV and join your device to their wifi... Do you get their subscription available on your device or do you get yours (as you are logged in)?

I'm at my inlaws this weekend and although they are authorized for the premium packages (HBO, show, starz, etc) I can't stream it on my iPad because they have Blue Ridge Cable and not DirecTV. That got me to thinking, what if they had direcTV instead? Surely my iPad would detect a valid receiver on their network?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#64 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

Disney isn't allowing providers to get Watch ESPN seperately, DirecTV won't be able to get it until the contract is up for renewal. And even then, ESPN doesn't have the rights to stream everything online because of existing deals some of the leagues made for mobile rights.

Actually, ESPN does offer their networks for online streaming outside the home. Verizon, Time Warner, and Bright House all have "WatchESPN" which is ESPN3.com + ESPN/ESPN2 online streaming. It's tricky for DirecTV, though. ESPN3 is generally tied to your ISP subscription (if your ISP offers it, even if you don't take TV from them, you get ESPN3) but so far to qualify for ESPN/ESPN2 online streaming you have to have a TV package PLUS the ISP support.

#65 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

Actually, ESPN does offer their networks for online streaming outside the home. Verizon, Time Warner, and Bright House all have "WatchESPN" which is ESPN3.com + ESPN/ESPN2 online streaming. It's tricky for DirecTV, though. ESPN3 is generally tied to your ISP subscription (if your ISP offers it, even if you don't take TV from them, you get ESPN3) but so far to qualify for ESPN/ESPN2 online streaming you have to have a TV package PLUS the ISP support.

That's what I was referring to. The thing is WatchESPN doesn't get you everything that airs on ESPN. Rights reasons force them to blackout certain events from the live streams of ESPN and ESPN2. They just recently got the rights for MLB and NASCAR on it. Before that the video would blur anytime highlights for MLB games were shown on SportsCenter. I have to double check the latest status, but I think Monday Night Football is still limited to computers and tablets because of the deal NFL has with Verizon Wireless for mobile rights.

#66 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hmmmm. You get some TV everywhere (there is WiFi or other i connection); more TV at home, but not all TV anywhere. (In fact, hardly anyone gets all TV anywhere!)

You get it as "everywhere" as the "World Series" is worldwide. ;) There are geographical restrictions to the content as well.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#67 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,764 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Reminds me of a favorite tag line:

When asked why he still lives in the UK despite working so much in the US, John Cleese had this to say:
Number one, we speak English and you don't.
Number two, when we hold a world championship for a particular sport, we invite teams from other countries.
Number three, when one meets the Head of State in England, one has to go down on one knee only.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#68 OFFLINE   MrSmartyA

MrSmartyA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

You get it as "everywhere" as the "World Series" is worldwide. ;) There are geographical restrictions to the content as well.

Whatever. TV Everywhere is just marketing propaganda.

I have Slingbox devices for many years. Can't beat it.

#69 OFFLINE   bobcnn

bobcnn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

About a month ago I gave iphone app a spin, and was able to watch all the channels available on my iPhone. A couple of days ago I tried it again the and the only channels I could play is Audience, AXSTV, Sony HD, and SHRTHD. All the other channels are grayed out. When I click on one of the other channels, i get "No HD DVR receiver found. I click retry, and still nothing. I then put in the IP address of the receiver, it says receiver can't be found. Both are on the same network. I have also restarted the reciever.

#70 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

It's tricky for DirecTV, though. ESPN3 is generally tied to your ISP subscription (if your ISP offers it, even if you don't take TV from them, you get ESPN3) but so far to qualify for ESPN/ESPN2 online streaming you have to have a TV package PLUS the ISP support.

Interestingly, DirecTV Latin America added ESPN3 access last August. See http://www.rapidtvne...adds-espn3.html. You watch it through the D* LA website.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#71 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

TV Everywhere is a nice concept and is slowly getting better. Although, I spent 10 minutes looking for something I could play for free and finally found find something using the "browse by network" menu. That was on my laptop, on my Android phone with 4.2 Jellybean, it continues to error out. Unless you have a lot of premium channels or like to pay for movies, its not that useful yet.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#72 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

You don't need to be technologically savvy to visit a torrent website and click download or visit a TV streaming website and click play.

As for content being free...I'm dropping a Benjamin ++ every month for this content so no, I don't consider it free. Actually, I think I'm getting my clocked cleaned as to get the 25 or so channels I want to watch I have to pay for 200 other channels.

DRM is draconian and doesn't serve a purpose in this day and age. Stopping a paying DirecTV customer for watching a TV show on a jailbroken iPad is not going to suddenly make that TV show unavailable elsewhere on the 'net. The only thing it does is frustrate the paying customer. Not allowing a customer to watch HBO on their old TV does nothing but anger the customer - it doesn't stop one single download of Game of Thrones from torrent sites. It doesn't stop a single episode of True Blood from being streamed illegally. Actually, it probably encourages it.

Exactly. There's a reason Game of Thrones is the most pirated TV show of 2012, and if DRM was accomplishing anything at all, that wouldn't be the case.

I am just happy to have a slingbox HD with the ability to bypass this nonsense.

#73 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Great to have this but what is the real Cost being added to everyone package that doesn't want or have the devices to get this great offer.

I guess they are just treated as D* taxpayers -Revenue for the greater good
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#74 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Exactly. There's a reason Game of Thrones is the most pirated TV show of 2012, and if DRM was accomplishing anything at all, that wouldn't be the case.

Uh, no.

#75 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Uh, no.

Uh, yes. Bitmetv and various other places beg to differ.. Pirates are winning.

#76 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Uh, no.

Maybe if DRM was working, GoT would still be the most pirated show, but it wouldn't be anywhere close to the massive scale that its at now. DRM is stopping no one who wants the show but doesn't want to pay for it.

The only people DRM is affecting are those of us that pay for it, and have to deal with the DRM issues. Punish people who access it legally while people who pirate it get to keep their money and laugh at us. What a great business model.

#77 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,096 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Maybe if DRM was working, GoT would still be the most pirated show, but it wouldn't be anywhere close to the massive scale that its at now. DRM is stopping no one who wants the show but doesn't want to pay for it.

The only people DRM is affecting are those of us that pay for it, and have to deal with the DRM issues. Punish people who access it legally while people who pirate it get to keep their money and laugh at us. What a great business model.

So, something only works if it 100% effective?

Do you lock you door to your house. I sure hope you don't waste your time because if someone wants to get in, they can, making your lock ineffective.

DRM has some effect. The question no one knows the answer to is "how much." That includes you.

Seems to me, though, that pirating was more rampant 10+ years ago. Casual folk were downloading all kinds of stuff.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#78 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

So, something only works if it 100% effective?

Do you lock you door to your house. I sure hope you don't waste your time because if someone wants to get in, they can, making your lock ineffective.

DRM has some effect. The question no one knows the answer to is "how much." That includes you.

Seems to me, though, that pirating was more rampant 10+ years ago. Casual folk were downloading all kinds of stuff.

Well put.

And actually there are some people who still believe in paying for what they acquire....

DRM stops the thieves who have the desire but not the savvy to complete their theft. Obviously that excludes the smart guys who are also thieves! :hurah::eek2:

#79 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Well put.

And actually there are some people who still believe in paying for what they acquire....

DRM stops the thieves who have the desire but not the savvy to complete their theft. Obviously that excludes the smart guys who are also thieves! :hurah::eek2:

It also excludes anyone who knows how to read and follow directions (cracking DRM isn't exactly rocket science, downloading torrents is even easier), anyone who knows someone else who already does it, or anyone who can Google streaming services and click a play button, so it pretty much excludes 99.9% of the internet population.

DRM isn't stopping anyone who wants the content.

Its like chaining a bicycle up to a parking meter and thinking it's secure when anyone can come along and lift the chain up over the meter and walk off with the bicycle. But hey at least it stops the people who aren't strong enough to lift the chain.

#80 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,096 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

It also excludes anyone who knows how to read and follow directions (cracking DRM isn't exactly rocket science, downloading torrents is even easier), anyone who knows someone else who already does it, or anyone who can Google streaming services and click a play button, so it pretty much excludes 99.9% of the internet population.

DRM isn't stopping anyone who wants the content.

Its like chaining a bicycle up to a parking meter and thinking it's secure when anyone can come along and lift the chain up over the meter and walk off with the bicycle. But hey at least it stops the people who aren't strong enough to lift the chain.

I'm pretty savvy. I find it harder to get content. It can be gotten but just like locking a door, the act of making it harder deters most. For some it is a game. For most it is not.

You fool yourself into thinking most people have any tech savvy at all. They do not. Napster was easy. But torrents for many who did napster are not. Closing easy paths does deter. It won't stop the hard core. Nothing will. But to claim it has no affect is completely wrong.

BTW, you never answered. Do you lock your door at night or when you leave your house?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall