Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Adds More Than 30 New Networks to TV Everywhere

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Does any of this work when outside of the US yet?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

I have Slingbox devices for many years. Can't beat it.

I have a brand new Slingbox that I received to replace my older one that wouldn't connect so they sent me that new one and I Never activated it because I can Never get enough Bandwidth to give me a decent picture without pixellation and macro blocking.

So I quit using it. Bandwidth is expensive these days.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#83 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Reminds me of a favorite tag line:

When asked why he still lives in the UK despite working so much in the US, John Cleese had this to say:
Number one, we speak English and you don't.
Number two, when we hold a world championship for a particular sport, we invite teams from other countries.
Number three, when one meets the Head of State in England, one has to go down on one knee only.

Now that is Funny!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#84 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,667 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I have a brand new Slingbox that I received to replace my older one that wouldn't connect so they sent me that new one and I Never activated it because I can Never get enough Bandwidth to give me a decent picture without pixellation and macro blocking.

So I quit using it. Bandwidth is expensive these days.

What kind of bandwidth do you have? All you need is up speed for the sling box. I have 5 up and it works very well. Or did you mean on the other end (phone, etc)?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#85 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

What kind of bandwidth do you have? All you need is up speed for the sling box. I have 5 up and it works very well. Or did you mean on the other end (phone, etc)?

I mean the Bandwidth in the Marriott Vacation Villa that I stay at in Hilton Head Island and Kauai, Hawaii. They are supposed to be upgrading it but I was getting like 150 to 250 kbs which renders a terrible PQ so I quit using it.
Here's My Setup

#86 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,041 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I mean the Bandwidth in the Marriott Vacation Villa that I stay at in Hilton Head Island and Kauai, Hawaii. They are supposed to be upgrading it but I was getting like 150 to 250 kbs which renders a terrible PQ so I quit using it.

That kind of Wireless performance is what you get with most hotels these days as well...once in a while there's an exception.

WIFI is actually a pretty good thing in a home when set up correctly and optimized.

It seems all of those other place boast how they offer "free WIFI" and then deliver virtually the slowest and most unreliable version you can find. It's also typically a shared (subdivided) resources among all the guests. I stay in hotels more than 60 nights a year all over the country and in all levels of hotel prices. It makes little difference. Streaming video for any length of time when traveling is mostly an unpleasant experience.

For all those reasons, streaming while traveling will struggle to ever go mainstream - at least until the average bandwidth outside the home improves in quality and usable levels for video.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#87 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,667 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Gotcha.

I've found some to be good and some bad when I travel. Even the fast ten to dropout though.

And I've gone to 3G even when there is wifi. My iPhone is on a grandfathered plan.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#88 OFFLINE   Whogaman

Whogaman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I wish they would bring back G4. Yeah, I know some don't like it, but I like some shows and video game reviews.

Peace Whoga
"Like the only real magic--the magic of knowledge"

#89 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,069 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

I wish they would bring back G4. Yeah, I know some don't like it, but I like some shows and video game reviews.

G4's dead, all the shows you liked have since been cancelled as of last month and it will rebrand to Esquire this year. If you want a taste of the old G4TechTV try watching EP Daily in syndication, it's produced by G4 Canada and contains segments from their original shows like Reviews on the Run.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...