Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR died. I don't want to pay $20 for shipping. What to do?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I am embarrassed to say you got me on both accounts. :(

Don't tell DTV, but me and my buddies were out four wheeling in my DVR and it got stuck in some deep water and flooded the hard drive. I know the lease agreement said to not do that, but if I told them the truth they wouldn't replace it now would they? Now, I DO change the oil and tires AT MY OWN EXPENSE on a regular basis.

Again... Spot on... I park my DVR outside right next to my double-wide. :rolleyes:

Richard

PS: The "rolleyes" emoticon doesn't really do the name justice
PPS: I don't lease cars.

Didn't say it was the trailer folk. I was thinking along several different lines, actually. Hit a nerve, did I?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'll complain about dog slow DVRs. I'll complain about crap programming. I'll complain about people whom I think TV has far too much importance in their lives. I'll complain about people complaining, even, but one thing I don't complain about too much is $20 to ship a free replacement. Be glad you don't pay $6 a month to avoid the $20. After 4 months, you've made your $20 back.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#43 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

The DVR is owned by D*. Why should the customer have to pay to ship back a broken DVR that they do not own? It just does not make sense.

#44 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Didn't say I liked it, or approved of it, but of the list of things one can complain about (and the frequency), this is pretty low down there. Its fresh in my mind, too, as 3 days after cancelling the protection plan I had for 3 years, a DVR fried on me. 3 years of $6 a month = $216 and I never once called them. $20 in comparison is small stuff. Wish I had kept it for 3 more days, though.:lol:

The DVR is owned by D*. Why should the customer have to pay to ship back a broken DVR that they do not own? It just does not make sense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#45 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Didn't say I liked it, or approved of it, but of the list of things one can complain about (and the frequency), this is pretty low down there. Its fresh in my mind, too, as 3 days after cancelling the protection plan I had for 3 years, a DVR fried on me. 3 years of $6 a month = $216 and I never once called them. $20 in comparison is small stuff. Wish I had kept it for 3 more days, though.:lol:

Jeff, I wasn't pointing my remark towards you (or anyone), my post just happened to fall in line right after yours. I was just making a general statement. :)

#46 OFFLINE   Richard Casto

Richard Casto

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

>Implying conditions in your home are incapable of breaking receivers.
:rollseyes:

You clearly arrived at the wrong conclusion. That is absolutely my fault. I was trying to be funny and communicate an idea at the same time.

You can absolutely screw up a DVR (or anything else) inside your house. I was trying to say that the comparison of leasing a car and a DVR is a pretty bad one. Unless I am missing something, there is no regular maintenance required for a DVR? Maybe dust them periodically? I also think that a car lives in a much more dangerous environment (i.e. you have to insure it) and is also has more risk of being abused (reckless driving, poor driving habits, lack of scheduled maintenance). In short, apples to oranges.

I have no evidence either way, but I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of DVR failures can be traced back to standard mechanical failures (hard drives, power supplies, etc.) that are of no fault of the user.

Richard

#47 OFFLINE   Richard Casto

Richard Casto

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Didn't say it was the trailer folk. I was thinking along several different lines, actually. Hit a nerve, did I?

Actually no. But please expand your thought. You are leaving too much to the imagination. I would love to hear the details on your theory. Who exactly ARE you talking about.

Richard

#48 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

You clearly arrived at the wrong conclusion. That is absolutely my fault. I was trying to be funny and communicate an idea at the same time.

You can absolutely screw up a DVR (or anything else) inside your house. I was trying to say that the comparison of leasing a car and a DVR is a pretty bad one. Unless I am missing something, there is no regular maintenance required for a DVR? Maybe dust them periodically? I also think that a car lives in a much more dangerous environment (i.e. you have to insure it) and is also has more risk of being abused (reckless driving, poor driving habits, lack of scheduled maintenance). In short, apples to oranges.

I have no evidence either way, but I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of DVR failures can be traced back to standard mechanical failures (hard drives, power supplies, etc.) that are of no fault of the user.

Richard

One could argue that components in the home are more at fault then the moving parts in the equipment.
Wiring in the house, temperature, cleanliness (dust, insects/pests) ect.
About regular maintenance, its not required but routinely working on the Receiver can actually extend its life time.
Dusting it/making sure the fans are clean, making sure it has enough breathing room. Rebooting it regularly , ect.

In alot of the cases of hardware failure its generally due to the owner in one way or another.

#49 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Pay TV isnt free....a tech could come to your house and totally rewire everything replce the dish and all receivers and it would cost you 49.95....you need a new receiver shipped to you it costs 19.95....if you dont like those costs then get the protection plan or go to OTA....I am not aware of any TV provider that has 100% free maintenance...and before any cable people chime in check your bill...most companies have a charge built into your monthly costs...DTV doesnt do this
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#50 OFFLINE   ubankit

ubankit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

I don't understand why Direct wouldn't absorb the charge, why would you make a customer that has been with you for ___ number of years look to replace you over $20, doesn't make any sense to me.
I returned an hd receiver early this year, I was surprised they didn't charge me for the return box (I downgraded from whole house service to only the hr24)

#51 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

They never charge for returning equipment, whether its defective or deactivation of the box.

#52 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Consider yourself lucky with the $20. I had to pay $99 for a phone replacement through Verizon....and that is the price WITH the $6 monthly protection plan. The information is in the user agreement; you knew what you were getting in to when you didn't sign up for the protection plan. You rolled the dice by not paying the insurance and as far as I can tell you have come out far ahead. Pay the $20 and walk away from the table with your winnings lol.

#53 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

three words...."sense of entitlement"....1..2..3..got it
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#54 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'm with you OP, you are paying a monthly fee for a leased receiver, that leased receiver died, I don't know how you can be expected to pay to lease something that does not work...

There are 2 types of electronic devices - those that have failed and those that are going to fail.

Again he is not paying for the receiver, he was being asked to pay for the shipping of the receiver.

#55 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'm with you OP, you are paying a monthly fee for a leased receiver, that leased receiver died, I don't know how you can be expected to pay to lease something that does not work...

You don't have to pay to send it back. Just call in to deactivate it from your account and you'll see a nice box with a pre-paid shipping label show up on your doorstep in 3-5 days. Pack it in there and drop it off at the Post Office. Won't cost you a cent. You'll be down one location, but once again, it won't cost you anything and you'll save $6 month for the add'l location.

#56 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

The monthly fee you pay is the same whether you lease or own the receiver, so technically its not a monthly lease fee. Its actually a program mirroring fee that you pay for any active receiver. And all are also correct, you are not paying for the receiver, you are paying the S&H for delivery of the replacement receiver.

Its laid out in the agreement..either agree to pay it, or don't and go find another provider that better meets your needs.

Edited by CCarncross, 20 December 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

It still does not make sense that the customer is required to pay to ship back to D* a faulty receiver that is owned by D*.

#58 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

After the dust settles... you get the replacement receiver, activate it, send back the broken receiver...

1) Call DirecTV and verify that they received the returned receiver.
2) Verify that they did not tack on a new 2-year commitment. They should not do this for a replacement receiver activation... but have been known to incorrectly do this on occasion.

Thanks. Most everything that is posted on these forums is personal opinion. I am of the opinion that being in the minority doesn't make you wrong! ;)

I just finished up talking to DTV. Short version. I was polite, said I was a long time customer, asked for them to wave the $20, credit my account or at least try to help me out in some way shape or form. They offered a $10 credit. Replacement DVR is being shipped. I like that they made an effort to work with me.

I am still going to look at my options between now and when my contract expires.

Richard

#59 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

It still does not make sense that the customer is required to pay to ship back to D* a faulty receiver that is owned by D*.

Once again, you aren't. You are paying them to ship you a working receiver to replace your defective one. They pay for you to ship the non-working one back to them (the return shipping label is included in the box).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#60 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Once again, you aren't. You are paying them to ship you a working receiver to replace your defective one. They pay for you to ship the non-working one back to them (the return shipping label is included in the box).

With all due respect, that is just semantics. IMO the customer should not have to pay anything for D* to replace their own defective unit. The customer is already paying monthly for the service. D* should be totally responsible for the unit when it goes bad.

spam firewall