Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR died. I don't want to pay $20 for shipping. What to do?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

You made the choice of not having the protection plan, with the pplan the shipping would of been for free. Just pay the 20.00. You are in a contract anyways. As if you are going to pay a early cancellation fee higher than 20.00 over this.
It isn't fair to the people who do pay for the pplan if people are going to call up whining about getting the benefits for it for nothing.

I totally agree with this. If anyone could get the $20.00 fee waived, then why would anyone need the protection plan? Some people have argued that the $20.00 charge is way cheaper then the protection plan. So, OP, pay it.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

DISH does the same thing....($17 the last time I exchanged)

CHARTER does the same thing....(unless you take it to the local office and exchange it.....which is always in a different city...so you end up paying for gas $ to exchange it......and if you're a real prick about the replacement, they'll charge you with a truck roll for a simple replacement).

Suddenly, $20 isn't so bad.

With all due respect, that is just semantics. IMO the customer should not have to pay anything for D* to replace their own defective unit. The customer is already paying monthly for the service. D* should be totally responsible for the unit when it goes bad.

#63 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

With all due respect, that is just semantics. IMO the customer should not have to pay anything for D* to replace their own defective unit. The customer is already paying monthly for the service. D* should be totally responsible for the unit when it goes bad.

If the OP ships back the broken one at no cost to him, and does not get a replacement, then D* won't charge him to sent one out and will not charge the monthly service fee on it.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#64 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

If the OP ships back the broken one at no cost to him, and does not get a replacement, then D* won't charge him to sent one out and will not charge the monthly service fee on it.

lol, then to get another they get you on the hook for another 2yr commitment.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#65 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

I don't have the Protection Plan either. But, as part of making that decision, I know that, if I need a replacement receiver, I will be charged $20 and if I need a service call for something else, I will be charged $49. If DirecTV decided to waive those fees, great. But I would have no right to expect them to do so. I'd have even less right to act indignant if they didn't.

#66 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

>Implying the receivers are just prone to breaking by themselves and its at no fault of the customer what so ever.

Like I said earlier most hardware that malfunctions is directly or indirectly caused by the customer, theres very few scenarios where the receiver breaks because of poor engineering.

#67 OFFLINE   sda3

sda3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Not to stir the pot but I had an HR22-100 just go through overheating problems on Monday, in a well ventilated spot. I am pretty sure the fan has stopped working. In the old days, when it was owned equipment I would have just opened her up and replaced it. But, since it is leased I called D*. Spoke with tech support around 10pm monday, they only asked 2 questions and said they would ship a replacement. They said that since I don't have the protection plan that shipping would be $20, like we all know. I politely asked if they could wave it and she said, "oh sure" In the end DVR shipped, no money out of my pocket for it. Now, I am out of contract so that could be the difference? I have had service since 2004. I just hope when I get home today and it is waiting for me it isn't another HR20.

#68 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

My receiver hard disk broke after a year, and had to be replaced. Before I could say anything, the CSR said, "Usually we charge $20 to send out a new one, but you are a good customer, so we will not charge you." Why he said that I have no idea, but I didn't even ask for a waiver, he volunteered it.

Besides, $20 is chump change. They make at least $30 off you every month, assuming you are a good customer.

If you are someone who pays late or calls them every month with another request, they may be trying to get rid of you as a customer.

Edited by mitchflorida, 20 December 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Some people are just nice. Back in the nineties my brother work customer service with AOL and he would also go an extra step to help the customer. His daughter on the other hand was just the opposite. My brother love his job and his daughter did not.

#70 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Some people are just nice. Back in the nineties my brother work customer service with AOL and he would also go an extra step to help the customer. His daughter on the other hand was just the opposite. My brother love his job and his daughter did not.

AOL Customer service isnt a good basis for comparison when it comes to generosity considering all the issues they had.
They were giving out tons of incentives to agents to retain customers at any cost.

When other customer service want you to try and retain customers but not at the expense of giving every customer you speak to months of free service lol.

#71 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I don't think it is a matter of being "nice". My recommendation is for him to cancel his service with DTV. If they agree to waive the charge then everyone is happy . If not, flip to Dish Network and move on to something else. Life is too short.

#72 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hindsight is 20/20, but what you should have done was:

1) Agreed to the $20 charge for "shipping"
2) Called back immediately; asked for customer retention; and asked them if they could help "lower the cost" of your service

I can almost *guarantee* if you had done this -- and presuming you have been a customer in GOOD STANDING for as many years as you claim, were polite on the phone, etc. -- you would have been offered MUCH MORE than $20 in credits which would have offset the shipping charge (and then some).

I recently called to ask about upgrading my NFL ST to ST MAX for the rest of the season (I know, #firstworldproblems) and the 1st CSR couldn't help me. BUT I was immediately offered a credit for DVR service for 6 months -- that's what, $40/$50 in credits?

(I'm wondering if this "shipping" fee is not something the CSR's can waive -- in the case when others have said they have gotten it waived, perhaps it was just a clever CSR who booked another credit to offset the shipping charge, obstensibly "waiving" the fee)
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#73 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

I have been a DirecTV customer non-stop since 1995. My contract expires 6/2013. I currently have two DVRs and one regular receiver and whole home service. I don't pay for any type of optional protection plan (and never will).

My HR22 stopped working this morning. Based upon the error message and the consistent reboot cycle, it likely has had a drive failure. I can't remember how old it is, but I think it is probably at least two years old if not older? My goal was to get a replacement at zero cost which I think is more than fair for an item I don't own.

I talked to a CSR this evening who offered to ship me a replacement, but insisted on a $20 shipping fee as I don't have the protection plan. I suggested to the CSR to credit my account to cover the shipping, but that didn't work. I asked to be transferred to retention.

With the second CSR (that claimed to be retention), I verified my contract date and also asked to verify how long I have been with DTV. I again stated that I did nothing wrong, that the DVR stopped working and that I would like a zero cost option for a replacement. The story was the same in that there was no way to help me. I asked for the total amount to get out of my contract and to cancel and said while I would have to pay more out of pocket to cancel than the $20 shipping, I would do it and that I found it odd that DTV would let a long time customer walk away over a $20 fee. The CSR offered no options and was happy to go ahead and cancel my account and said there was nobody else I could talk to.

I told the CSR that I would not cancel right that second as I wanted TV during the holidays (the truth), but once I had something else in place that I would call back to cancel. That is how things ended. I was completely dumbfounded. It was the worst I had ever been treated by DTV.

I have been a loyal and low maintenance customer for over 17 years. When I called, I felt there would have been no question that they would have shipped me a new receiver at no cost. I was not pushing for free upgrades, etc. I have friends who have been trying to convince me to walk away from Sat/Cable and do a "roll your own" entertainment solution. I am tech savvy enough to do it, but until tonight have been very happy with DTV and have not considered walking.

I know it is just $20 on my end and I am looking at having to pay much more to cancel early, but at this moment, I am willing to pull the trigger on walking. If there is no way to get past the $20 fee, I will likely pay the $20 to get the replacement for the short term and still cancel once I get something else in place.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get a replacement at zero cost?

Thanks,

Richard

So, let me get this straight, DTV has an option (protection plan) that would replace a receiver for free and no shipping - but you don't pay for it, yet you want the same benefits as provided to those who DO PAY FOR IT (like me)?
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#74 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

So, let me get this straight, DTV has an option (protection plan) that would replace a receiver for free and no shipping - but you don't pay for it, yet you want the same benefits as provided to those who DO PAY FOR IT (like me)?

And some people pay $10 per month for HD while others get it free.

Some people pay $8 per month for DVR service while others get it free.

Some people pay $200 for NFL Sunday Ticket while others get it free or at reduced cost.

Some people pay full price for HBO while others get it free or at a discounted price.

Some people pay full price for their service package while others get $20 or $30 per month discounts.

Some people pay $400 for a Genie upgrade while others get it free.

I'm not sure that I understand why some here seem to find it acceptable for customers to get hundreds of dollars worth of discounts or credits, and, yet, they become morally indignant because someone wants a $20 shipping waiver that has been granted to many other customers (regardless of whether they have the protection plan. All of these discounts and credits come as a result of how DIRECTV has decided to do business, and, as long as that is the case, it should be expected that people are going to attempt to get the same discounts or credits that they know others are getting. Further, there are likely very few who post on this board who have the right to claim the moral high ground and can honestly say that they have never sought a discount or credit from DIRECTV, and it is likely that those discounts and credits, too, are ones that have been given to some and have not been given to others.

#75 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Some people pay $200 for NFL Sunday Ticket while others get it free or at reduced cost.

Some people pay full price for HBO while others get it free or at a discounted price.

Some people pay full price for their service package while others get $20 or $30 per month discounts.

And no one gets the Protection Plan free or discounted do they? Everything you listed is an active service or piece of equipment. The protection plan is preventative and not active. Should someone be upset if they pay for the protection plan for years and never need it, while someone who has never paid for it get the same benefits? Probably not but, nonetheless, there's a good chance they would.

#76 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'm not sure that I understand why some here seem to find it acceptable for customers to get hundreds of dollars worth of discounts or credits, and, yet, they become morally indignant because someone wants a $20 shipping waiver that has been granted to many other customers (regardless of whether they have the protection plan. All of these discounts and credits come as a result of how DIRECTV has decided to do business, and, as long as that is the case, it should be expected that people are going to attempt to get the same discounts or credits that they know others are getting. Further, there are likely very few who post on this board who have the right to claim the moral high ground and can honestly say that they have never sought a discount or credit from DIRECTV, and it is likely that those discounts and credits, too, are ones that have been given to some and have not been given to others.

Maybe because it is so trivial?

While I have done some things as a matter of principle, I usually keep my mouth shut about it because after the fact, I have always felt kind of silly.

#77 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

Sorry, I find this ridiculous. You made the choice to not pay for the protection plan, so pay up. Why should those of us that do pay for the protection plan continue doing so if they just give away the limited benefits to non-subscribers if they just ask.

BINGO!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#78 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

20.00 really isn't that much. I swear some of their customers better be proud this is America as in Canada (ShawDirect) and the UK (SkyTV) they would charge you way more than 20.00. Just pay the damn fee.

#79 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

The only time i disputed the 20.00 dollar charge is when i got a replacement receiver that did not work and they wanted to charge me another 20 bucks plus a service charge.

I contacted access card departed and they credited my account for 20 bucks .Also they wanted to send out a tec to install it to make sure it was bad and i got the service charge credited.

So i would try that department before you dicide to leave.

#80 OFFLINE   JonBlack

JonBlack

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

The only time i disputed the 20.00 dollar charge is when i got a replacement receiver that did not work and they wanted to charge me another 20 bucks plus a service charge.

I contacted access card departed and they credited my account for 20 bucks .Also they wanted to send out a tec to install it to make sure it was bad and i got the service charge credited.

So i would try that department before you dicide to leave.

I think your gripe with D* over the second charge was legitimate. IMHO, D* shouldn't have even tried to charge you the second $20 due to the first one being a dud.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...