Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR died. I don't want to pay $20 for shipping. What to do?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

It still does not make sense that the customer is required to pay to ship back to D* a faulty receiver that is owned by D*.

I repeat.....You don't have to pay to send it back. Just call in to deactivate it from your account and you'll see a nice box with a pre-paid shipping label show up on your doorstep in 3-5 days. Pack it in there and drop it off at the Post Office. Won't cost you a cent. You'll be down one location, but once again, it won't cost you anything and you'll save $6 month for the add'l location.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

I repeat.....You don't have to pay to send it back. Just call in to deactivate it from your account and you'll see a nice box with a pre-paid shipping label show up on your doorstep in 3-5 days. Pack it in there and drop it off at the Post Office. Won't cost you a cent. You'll be down one location, but once again, it won't cost you anything and you'll save $6 month for the add'l location.

You are missing the point completely.

#83 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

I can't believe this thread has survive the end of the World.:)

#84 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

I can't believe this thread has survive the end of the World.:)

The day is still young, my friend. This thread may be the cause of the end of the world...

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#85 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

No wonder I can't get the Chinese channel.

#86 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

If everyone who contributed to this thread would send him $1 the problem would be solved. Let's move on.

#87 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

Ain't that the truth. I am surprised this thread has went to 4 pages.

If everyone who contributed to this thread would send him $1 the problem would be solved. Let's move on.

#88 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I've been a DBS talk member for 6 years, I don't think that I should have to pay $1. Can someone @ DBS Talk credit me for that dollar? :)

#89 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

The day is still young, my friend. This thread may be the cause of the end of the world...

Well, it is already December 22 in Asia, so I think we made it. ;)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#90 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Implying the receivers are just prone to breaking by themselves and its at no fault of the customer what so ever.

Like I said earlier most hardware that malfunctions is directly or indirectly caused by the customer, theres very few scenarios where the receiver breaks because of poor engineering.

If I am living in an Apartment and Leasing that Space and the Refrigerator or the Air Conditioner Craps Out they will come and fix it as it is their equipment and they will Not Charge me anything to fix Their Equipment.

And they will Not Assume that I Broke it unless it is Obvious that I did!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#91 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,535 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

>Implying the receivers are just prone to breaking by themselves and its at no fault of the customer what so ever.

Like I said earlier most hardware that malfunctions is directly or indirectly caused by the customer, theres very few scenarios where the receiver breaks because of poor engineering.

Not poor engineering, but particularly moving parts can fail. Whether it's the hard drive or a fan. Now, it could be argued that the hard drive failing is caused by the customer, since if they didn't leave it running all the time, then the chances of failure decrease, but the intended use is to keep it plugged in and at least in standby.

#92 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

I was just going to let this thread go without comment....but.....

I pay for the prot plan, it works for me.... I do not care if someone without the prot plan get's shipping charges waived (good for them), I don not care when other people get NFLST for free and I pay for it (good for them)! I don't care if people constantly call and get credits, I don't! I pick my spots, and if I want to upgrade (Genie for free) I get a "perk" once and a while!
If you don't want to pay the shipping, deactivate the box, if you can get $10 off and like it OK! DTV's policies of dealing with each customer on a one on one basis is what it is, if you want to take a stand on principle, cancel, go with another provider. STOP WHINNING

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY :D
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#93 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I was just going to let this thread go without comment....but.....

I pay for the prot plan, it works for me.... I do not care if someone without the prot plan get's shipping charges waived (good for them), I don not care when other people get NFLST for free and I pay for it (good for them)! I don't care if people constantly call and get credits, I don't! I pick my spots, and if I want to upgrade (Genie for free) I get a "perk" once and a while!
If you don't want to pay the shipping, deactivate the box, if you can get $10 off and like it OK! DTV's policies of dealing with each customer on a one on one basis is what it is, if you want to take a stand on principle, cancel, go with another provider. STOP WHINING

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY :D

+1000, Probably the 1st sensible post of this entire thread, I wish I had thought of it 1st.

#94 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

If I am living in an Apartment and Leasing that Space and the Refrigerator or the Air Conditioner Craps Out they will come and fix it as it is their equipment and they will Not Charge me anything to fix Their Equipment.

And if you have to take time off of work to let the repairman in, they will NOT reimburse you for lost wages. If the food in the fridge rots when it fails, that's on you too. It's not uncommon for anyone to take some sort of hit when things fail even on leased equipment. Almost nothing indemnifies you 100% from consequence.

The way I see it, if you can get a freebie, good for you. No harm in asking. I thnk most of us have been thrown a few freebies at different times for different reasons. Some (many?) were asked for. I'm no exception. I've even taken my case higher within the company if I felt I had a good point but remained calm and respectful throughout. Picking your spots is good advice. Getting angry is not.

If the answer to asking for a gift is 'no' getting outraged is inappropriate. That is the definition of a sense of entitlement. You are only "entitled" to what you pay for per what is stipulated in the TOS agreement. If you don't like those terms or chose not to read them well, shame on you for signing up.

If you've been a customer for years, paid your bill and gotten programming in return you have gotten what you were entitled to. A little gravy to the good customers may be good business for DirecTV but it is NOT something you are entitled to.

Edited by HarleyD, 21 December 2012 - 02:16 PM.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#95 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

No, they will not fix it "as it is their equipment", they will fix it because the lease statement requires that they be obligated to provide a working refrigerator and air conditioner and if they don't, the code enforcement division responsible can take sanctions.

#96 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

If you've been a customer for years, paid your bill and gotten programming in return you have gotten what you were entitled to. A little gravy to the good customers may be good business for DirecTV but it is NOT something you are entitled to.

+999. Second most sensible post on this thread.

#97 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,315 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

LOL!:hurah:

I can say that now that Saturday is here. :)
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#98 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

The only time i disputed the 20.00 dollar charge is when i got a replacement receiver that did not work and they wanted to charge me another 20 bucks plus a service charge.

I contacted access card departed and they credited my account for 20 bucks .Also they wanted to send out a tec to install it to make sure it was bad and i got the service charge credited.

So i would try that department before you dicide to leave.

That is completely understandable and legit in your case over not wanting to pay a service tech fee. However, the Access Card Department, or ACDT for short, is not the correct department to waive the fees associated with shipping and handling charges for erps (or replacing defective equipment) or to credit service call charges. The agent you got in ACDT was nice to do it for you anyways though. Technical Support is the department that handles all credits for technical related issues. Not ACDT. They handle access card replacements and disputes over leased versus owned. If you call and ask for ACDT for that reason, the agent on the other end of the phone is going to tell you ACDT isn't the correct department as they are going to get counted off for improper resolution by Quality Assurance.

#99 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

If you lease and car and it needs a new battery or tires who buys the new battery or tires (equivalent to HDD)? Unless you have a maintenance fee added into your lease explicitly saying who pays (Protection Plan).

The apartment lease is the same way. I'm sure your lease states who is responsible for those maintenance fees and I'm sure it's added into your monthly rent.

All that said, I have no problem if the OP wants to ask for a waiver. If he gets it great for him. In lieu of $8/month I'd pay the $20, but then again I've taken care of my equipment, installs, maintenance, dish tweaks, SWm Installs since 1994 anyway.

#100 OFFLINE   DTVBUDDY

DTVBUDDY

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I don't have the time to spend on the phone that long with DIRECTV CSR's over $20. My job takes up most of my time and the rest of the time I have left, I would rather spend it with my family. If I needed $20 that bad, I think I would buy some rabbit ears & forget it. LOL

Edited by DTVBUDDY, 28 December 2012 - 05:20 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...