Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple external drives possible?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'm running out of space on my external drive. Can I use a second drive, and just swap them when I want to? Ideally, I'd like to move the 500GB's worth of saved movies over to a 1 or 2 TB drive, but I don't know it that's possible. Any advice?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcutler

mcutler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have been swapping external hard drives with no problem, but I don't think there is any way to have more than one at a time show up on screen.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

You can have as many individual drives as you want.

Some receivers (Hopper, 922) also support simultaneously connections of more than one. I believe the 922 and Hopper both support up to 4 external hard drives connected simultaneously through the use of a powered hub.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#4 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the information. I'm running an ancient ViP722. Is it possible to hook the present drive and the new drive to a PC, and just copy the current the data across to the new drive?

#5 OFFLINE   mcutler

mcutler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

I also have the 722, and to my knowledge, it does not support showing more than one hard drive at a time.

These drives have a special Dish formatting process and copying it to a computer hard drive, or from one hard drive to another, is no simple task. I would not go so far as to say it is impossible, but I don't think it easy to accomplish.

#6 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

I'm running out of space on my external drive. Can I use a second drive, and just swap them when I want to? Ideally, I'd like to move the 500GB's worth of saved movies over to a 1 or 2 TB drive, but I don't know it that's possible. Any advice?

As others have said you can have multiple drives, just not connected at the same time.

To move your movies you will have to copy them off of the EHD onto the local drive of you 722. Then plug your new EHD in and move them back off. I'm going to have to do this over the weekend to get the movies from my old 622 copied to the new 2TB EHD I bought for my Hopper.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#7 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

Gotcha! That's very helpful information. It sounds like a long, drawn out process to have to restore each movie to the DVR, but I guess is worth the effort. Thanks very much!

#8 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

On a related note, as someone who just recently joined (and is enjoying) the EHD revolution, what happens when the original receiver, a 722k in my case, eventually gives up the ghost? I was under the impression that any new receiver, as long as it's registered to the account, will recognize any or all of the individual EHDs that I've accumulated so far. Is this correct?

That is, my biggest fear is that, when it's time to swap out receivers, the movies on my EHD won't be accessible or recognized with my new receiver. Any horror stories, or is there nothing to fear? Also, do the EHDs need to be registered with Dish, as well, in some kind of fashion, or does nothing need to be done? I haven't done anything of this sort so far. Just fired the EHD up...and everything worked.

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Your EHD is tied to your account not to the receiver, so if the receiver has to be replaced, the EHD will transfer and work with the new receiver.

If you are proficient with linux, you can copy programming from one EHD to another (already formatted by your receiver), just copy the DISHARC folders. You cannot tell which programs you are copying, so it is best used to move to a larger drive, just capy them all and go.

The ONLY way to play the EHD is with the receiver.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Your EHD is tied to your account not to the receiver, so if the receiver has to be replaced, the EHD will transfer and work with the new receiver.

If you are proficient with linux, you can copy programming from one EHD to another (already formatted by your receiver), just copy the DISHARC folders. You cannot tell which programs you are copying, so it is best used to move to a larger drive, just capy them all and go.

The ONLY way to play the EHD is with the receiver.

Do you mean on any DVR on the same account ?

#11 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 912 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Sure wish you could NAME your hard drives. LIke Movies, Sports, and TVShows. I have 3
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#12 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Gotcha! That's very helpful information. It sounds like a long, drawn out process to have to restore each movie to the DVR, but I guess is worth the effort. Thanks very much!

FWIW, you don't have to do them one-by-one. When you are selecting what to transfer you can select multiple moves to transfer at one time. I did this on our old 722 that we replaced with a Hopper and transferred 140 shows at one time.

On a related note, as someone who just recently joined (and is enjoying) the EHD revolution, what happens when the original receiver, a 722k in my case, eventually gives up the ghost? I was under the impression that any new receiver, as long as it's registered to the account, will recognize any or all of the individual EHDs that I've accumulated so far. Is this correct?

That is, my biggest fear is that, when it's time to swap out receivers, the movies on my EHD won't be accessible or recognized with my new receiver. Any horror stories, or is there nothing to fear? Also, do the EHDs need to be registered with Dish, as well, in some kind of fashion, or does nothing need to be done? I haven't done anything of this sort so far. Just fired the EHD up...and everything worked.

As others have said the EHD is connected to the account, not the DVR. So once you have programming saved to the EHD it is viewable by any DVR on the account. Likewise if your receiver dies or you replace/upgrade it when the new one is activated you will be able to plug the EHD in and get your recordings.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#13 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Thanks guys. That's what I figured.

Also, just to clarify, when you say that the EHD is tied to the account, again, is there anything I need to do in terms of contacting Dish to let them know I have an EHD hooked up and in use with my current 722K -- or is no further action needed on my part? That is, when I go to My Equipment on Dish's site, it currently says "No" under External Drive Enabled. Yet, obviously everything worked perfectly when I hooked up and initialized/formatted the EHD myself.

Or rather, is that equipment notation on their site only for folks who are using an EHD to convert a non-DVR receiver to a DVR one, and for which Dish still charges a fee?

Just want to make sure that I don't need to actually contact them to "tie" the EHD to my account.

#14 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

The EHD feature is automatic with ViP DVR (612/622/722/722k/922 and Hoppers) so it does not require any action from you other than connecting the EHD to your receiver. External Drive Enabled online deals with the activation fee for the 211k.

If you replace your receiver, the EHD should work with the replacement receiver once it is activated on your account. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

Thanks guys. That's what I figured.

Also, just to clarify, when you say that the EHD is tied to the account, again, is there anything I need to do in terms of contacting Dish to let them know I have an EHD hooked up and in use with my current 722K -- or is no further action needed on my part? That is, when I go to My Equipment on Dish's site, it currently says "No" under External Drive Enabled. Yet, obviously everything worked perfectly when I hooked up and initialized/formatted the EHD myself.

Or rather, is that equipment notation on their site only for folks who are using an EHD to convert a non-DVR receiver to a DVR one, and for which Dish still charges a fee?

Just want to make sure that I don't need to actually contact them to "tie" the EHD to my account.

#15 OFFLINE   DaveM

DaveM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

The EHD feature is automatic with ViP DVR (612/622/722/722k/922 and Hoppers) so it does not require any action from you other than connecting the EHD to your receiver. External Drive Enabled online deals with the activation fee for the 211k.

If you replace your receiver, the EHD should work with the replacement receiver once it is activated on your account. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

Thanks, Ray. And the rest of the folks who chimed in as well. All is good.

#16 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

And last word: EHD of 211/211k/411 is not compatible with 612/622/722/722k/922/813. It is more like a System Drive.

#17 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

You can have as many individual drives as you want.

Some receivers (Hopper, 922) also support simultaneously connections of more than one. I believe the 922 and Hopper both support up to 4 external hard drives connected simultaneously through the use of a powered hub.

Stewart,

I have a 922 that I have been using a 2 TB external hard drive with for several months, and since it is now essentially full, I recently purchased another identical EHD unit.

Before I hook up the new EHD via a powered USB hub, I have a couple of questions for you:

1) The 922 named my first EHD "External Device 1". After I attach the second EHD, will my 922 be able to detect that I now have two connected EHD units and will name the second one "External Device 2"?

2) Can you transfer recorded movies from one EHD directly to the other EHD, or do you have to move the movies back to the internal drive inside the 922 and then over to the other EHD?

By the way, I previously sent a PM to Ray C (@DIRT) about this subject and he said that although he had heard about people successfully hooking up more than one EHD to a Dish DVR, that the official stance of Dish is that they only support 1 EHD connected to a receiver at a time.

Thanks,
Don

#18 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

1) yes
2) not directly, two moves: to DVR and to EHD#2

#19 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

1) yes
2) not directly, two moves: to DVR and to EHD#2

Thanks! Now I just need to dig up a spare powered USB hub.

#20 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,341 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

you don't need powered hub, your drives must be self powered

spam firewall