Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple external drives possible?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Did you turn off the power save (sleep mode) on either drive?

Nope ... not for either one (although I have yet to properly reformat the newer EHD and put it into operation).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I wouldn't bother disabling the sleep mode unless you have issues. I know P. Smith will disagree and he is far more knowledgeable in this area than I' am but why fix something that isn't broke. It makes you wonder why one person with the exact same drive and receiver that you have has no problems for a year and you have issues all the time. If sleep mode was the culprit wouldn't both have problems?? For me I kind of like the idea of the drive spinning down when not being used.

If you follow the Hopper/Joey forum a lot of folks there have been having similar issues with disappearing EHD's, especially after installing the OTA module. Seems to me the EHD issue is some type of software bug that affects some receivers but not all.

#43 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

As a follow-up (and after separately formatting my second Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB EHD), I connected my new Plugable Technologies 4-port powered USB 3.0/2.0 hub to the rear USB port on my 922 and then plugged in both of my EHD's to the hub on January 11th.

My 922 has had absolutely no problems seeing both EHD's ever since (in other words, I have not experienced any "disappearing EHD's", and this is after 8 daily start-ups). However, as JeffN9 previously indicated, I have noticed that the assignment of "External Device 1" and "External Device 2" switches around about 50% of the time between my two EHD's. While it would have been nice if the External Device 1 and External Device 2 tags could have been assigned & stayed permanently associated with each of my two EHD's, it isn't that big of a deal and I am doing the same thing as JeffN9 where I tell the two apart by looking at their respective size and available space when I go to transfer movies to one or the other from my 922's internal HD.

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'm pretty sure, allow to customize EHD volume's name would be easy to implement.
If you send a petition to SW Dept ... or some guy

#45 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Well, like I said, it's really a minor issue that I can easily work around, so it's probably not worth petitioning anyone for some special implementation that the majority of folks probably wouldn't even care about.

BTW, just curious, but what is the "SW Dept"? (... software dept?)

#46 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

yes

#47 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

As a follow-up (and after separately formatting my second Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB EHD), I connected my new Plugable Technologies 4-port powered USB 3.0/2.0 hub to the rear USB port on my 922 and then plugged in both of my EHD's to the hub on January 11th.

My 922 has had absolutely no problems seeing both EHD's ever since (in other words, I have not experienced any "disappearing EHD's", and this is after 8 daily start-ups). However, as JeffN9 previously indicated, I have noticed that the assignment of "External Device 1" and "External Device 2" switches around about 50% of the time between my two EHD's. While it would have been nice if the External Device 1 and External Device 2 tags could have been assigned & stayed permanently associated with each of my two EHD's, it isn't that big of a deal and I am doing the same thing as JeffN9 where I tell the two apart by looking at their respective size and available space when I go to transfer movies to one or the other from my 922's internal HD.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what your experience had been like using two EHD's. I hope your 922 continues to see the EHD's.

Because of all the issues I had with my 922 Dish installed a Hopper and two Joey's for me on Sat. Yesterday I connected both of my EHD's to one USB port on the back of the Hopper using the same powered hub that I used on the 922. So far so good but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have the same missing EHD problems. I haven't read any post's about that in the H/J forums lately so I'm hopeful:)

spam firewall