Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Condominium Problem - need advice

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,536 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

Nothing in the OTARD grants you the right to install a hurricane proof dish. You want to drill holes into a building, then you need to get out of a condo and buy a house. Or get a change to OTARD. But until then, your association has every legal right to prevent you from drilling holes in their building.

As for access to local news, I recommend an OTA antenna. With most severe weather and a dish, you're going to lose reception so get an antenna to receive your local channels.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

As for access to local news, I recommend an OTA antenna. With most severe weather and a dish, you're going to lose reception so get an antenna to receive your local channels.

Yup. With the heavy cloud deck and rain, you'll lose signal long before the main brunt of the storm arrives and it will stay out until long after the storm passes regardless of the dish moving or not.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#28 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,091 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

In light of the fact that hundreds of thousands of DBS satellite subscribers use non-penetrating mounts, the FCC will not consider requiring the use of one to aviod damaging an exterior surface that the HOA may be responsible for maintaining does not constitute an unreasonable expense.

I know steel prices have gone up since I used to buy these a decade ago, but I used to get commercial grade, non-pen mounts with square bases with trays that held 8 cinder blocks for $50 each. I know they cost more than that now.

Last I knew, the major manufacturers of those mounts, Baird and Rohn, would tell you for free how much ballast you would have to load onto their appropriate sized mount to withstand a 125 MPH wind in your situation. For the SWM dish, I'd guess six blocks is enough, eight tops. I think you can buy a suitable mount and blocks for under $100. I don't see why anyone would fight over that amount.

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,214 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Since I've had DTV for 15 years, attached to the concrete, if I simply go ahead and re-install the dish properly, do they have the legal rights to actually fine me?

They have all the rights that you gave them when you entered into a contract with them. These rights can absolutely supersede those rights otherwise guaranteed by law.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#30 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

They have all the rights that you gave them when you entered into a contract with them. These rights can absolutely supersede those rights otherwise guaranteed by law.

The FCC regulations regarding the placement of DBS satellite dishes explicitly supercede all laws, regulations and restrictive covenants.

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,214 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

The FCC regulations regarding the placement of DBS satellite dishes explicitly supercede all laws, regulations and restrictive covenants.

Even if you specifically waived those rights as part of a contract?

I'm dubious.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,243 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'm dubious.

Not in California at least.

#33 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,536 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Same here in FL.

#34 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

There would be no point in writing into the law that the rights supercede any written into a contract if a party could pressure someone into foregoing those rights in a contract. I doubt that a contract that says my landlord doesn't have to meet residential occupancy standards for cleanliness or minimum winter temperature is enforceable either.

#35 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,159 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm dubious.

The issue then is that the provision is invalid because it conflicts with the law. Just like an employee can't waive his rights to overtime pay.

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...