Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722k changing channels on it's own

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jbellsaab

jbellsaab

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

I know this is a common problem usually fixed by changing remote addresses so your neighbor's remote will stop driving your receiver, BUT, I already tried that to no avail. I live in a suburban area where zoning requires building lots of at least an acre and none of my neighbors have dish antennas, at least that I can see. I’ve had the dish for years, upgraded through several receivers and never had this problem until a few weeks ago. I have a 722K with the Sling Adapter. Nothing is new and nothing changed that I can think of, except I bought a new Samsung Galaxy 3 and downloaded the Dish Remote App on Black Friday. I checked my phone and the app is not running in the background. I replaced my remote batteries because the first time this happened I also got a low remote battery warning. That also lead me to believe that I was receiving some kind of distant weak signal from a neighbors new system so I changed all of by remotes and the receiver from remote address 5 to address 8 but the channels changed several times on its own again today. I checked the remotes for stuck buttons but everything looks good. Any ideas out there?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jbellsaab

jbellsaab

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

So, no takers on this topic yet? Here's some more info that might attract interest. Last night I changed all three remotes to frequency 15, being sure to select system info from the front of the receiver and not from the remote so as to not be resetting my ghost neighbor's receiver at the same time. I also did a system reset to reboot the receiver. I chose 15 to go from an even frequency band to an odd frequency band and to get as far away from the previous setting as practical. This morning the channels start changing themselves again. Now tell me, how in the world can I all of a sudden have three different neighbors driving my receiver with their remotes on three different frequencies? I just don't think this is the issue. Have remotes ever gone wacky and done this on their own or can my 722K have developed some kind of internal problem? Is there some other UHF device, police scanner or something like that in the neighborhood that could be affecting my system? One other consideration, for what it's worth, I have a coaxial cable extending my receivers remote antenna from the reciever's location near a corner of by basement's cement foundation wall running it up to the basement ceiling in the center of the house for better remote reception. I've used this set up for years so my bedroom remote would work. However, this location puts the remote antenna within 3 feet from my wi-fi router, which I can't see as being a problem but who knows.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

You mentioned that you changed all remote addresses to 8 first and then 15, is this correct? I would try readdressing the remotes and giving them all different addresses. You might also unplug the receiver from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds to have the receiver reboot. Please let me know if you continue to have problems with your remotes. Thanks.

So, no takers on this topic yet? Here's some more info that might attract interest. Last night I changed all three remotes to frequency 15, being sure to select system info from the front of the receiver and not from the remote so as to not be resetting my ghost neighbor's receiver at the same time. I also did a system reset to reboot the receiver. I chose 15 to go from an even frequency band to an odd frequency band and to get as far away from the previous setting as practical. This morning the channels start changing themselves again. Now tell me, how in the world can I all of a sudden have three different neighbors driving my receiver with their remotes on three different frequencies? I just don't think this is the issue. Have remotes ever gone wacky and done this on their own or can my 722K have developed some kind of internal problem? Is there some other UHF device, police scanner or something like that in the neighborhood that could be affecting my system? One other consideration, for what it's worth, I have a coaxial cable extending my receivers remote antenna from the reciever's location near a corner of by basement's cement foundation wall running it up to the basement ceiling in the center of the house for better remote reception. I've used this set up for years so my bedroom remote would work. However, this location puts the remote antenna within 3 feet from my wi-fi router, which I can't see as being a problem but who knows.

#4 OFFLINE   jbellsaab

jbellsaab

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I remembered one very important ingredient that I had totally left out of this equation and hopefully found my solution. I’ve been running my system in shared mode for a very long time. My TV2 remote was set at Frequency 14 and I just didn’t think to try changing that. I dug out my old TV2 remote and sure enough, it changes all the channels on TV1 as well while in shared mode, duh. So, my new mystery neighbor must be operating their remote at that setting. I switched that TV2 remote setting to address 5 and we’ll see what happens now. Hopefully this will fix my problem.

#5 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

That will make a difference especially while the receiver is in Solo mode. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks.

I remembered one very important ingredient that I had totally left out of this equation and hopefully found my solution. I’ve been running my system in shared mode for a very long time. My TV2 remote was set at Frequency 14 and I just didn’t think to try changing that. I dug out my old TV2 remote and sure enough, it changes all the channels on TV1 as well while in shared mode, duh. So, my new mystery neighbor must be operating their remote at that setting. I switched that TV2 remote setting to address 5 and we’ll see what happens now. Hopefully this will fix my problem.

#6 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

While you're at it, make sure you don't have any active Auto-Tune timers causing the change.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Not casting aspersions, but make sure a family member isn't gaslighting you.

(if all else fails)

spam firewall