Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

cancel contract without penalty due to move

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mystre

mystre

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I had DTV installed 6 months ago with 18 remaining on contract. I am having to move in with my son due to health issues. He already has DTV, and we both are happy with the service, but obviously can't use it twice in one home. When I had mine installed, the technician did not put up a satellite dish, but just hooked my existing cables into the landlord's dish; this is a duplex. I have one HD and one standard receiver. Is there a way to get out of contract on these conditions? Or a way to combine services somehow to avoid the penalty? This was never on my horizon, but life happens. Thank you for a response.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I would call them and discuss this with a supervisor since this is somewhat of a unique situation.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

How much is left in your son's contract?

#4 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Only EASY way to get out of contract is use "Mover's Connection" and if "No Line of Sight" Directv will let you out of contract.

Your situation is different and I suspect you will have some Early Termination Fees on the longest running account. I agree with jimmie57 that a call (or 2) is in order and see what you can work out.

Doctor j

Edited by doctor j, 19 December 2012 - 03:40 PM.
sp.

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#5 OFFLINE   mystre

mystre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the replies, will try to get a supervisor to talk with me. My son's contract has maybe a year left on it.

#6 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Is there something in the TOS that says that the OP cant move his receivers to his son's house and maintain his account???

I know personally my residence was converted from a single family house. There is a tenant that rents the first floor and i rent the 2nd floor. We both share the same address (USPS wanted it that way) and the people downstairs have Directv. When we moved in, i called to get service and they simply added "1st floor" to the address on there account and "2nd floor" to ours... When the tech showed up he installed a 2nd dish just for me:)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#7 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Only EASY way to get out of contract is use "Mover's Connection" and if "No Line of Sight" Directv will let you out of contract.

Except he will have LOS at his son's house, as his son has Directv.

I would suggest suspending your account for as long as possible and then have your account moved to your son's house. This would minimize any disconnect fee that either you or your son would be responsible for.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Is there something in the TOS that says that the OP cant move his receivers to his son's house and maintain his account???

I know personally my residence was converted from a single family house. There is a tenant that rents the first floor and i rent the 2nd floor. We both share the same address (USPS wanted it that way) and the people downstairs have Directv. When we moved in, i called to get service and they simply added "1st floor" to the address on there account and "2nd floor" to ours... When the tech showed up he installed a 2nd dish just for me:)

He could do that, but I think they are looking at why have 2 accounts when they would be just fine sharing one account.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Will the fact that you are moving in with your son, cause him to be adding any new receivers to his account (such as for your bedroom)? If so, I would certainly make that known when you speak with DirecTV.

What is the status of your son's current contract commitment? If he has no current commitment, maybe a Mover's Connection situation could apply (even if he has to cancel his current service and have it "reinstalled" in your name.

#10 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Except he will have LOS at his son's house, as his son has Directv.

I would suggest suspending your account for as long as possible and then have your account moved to your son's house. This would minimize any disconnect fee that either you or your son would be responsible for.

Doesnt suspending/pausing the account also pause the contract as well?

I'd check how much time is left on either contract, and then see if switching to the lowest package set up would be cheaper for that amount of time to run out the contract. If its not cheaper just pay it off =/

Your more then most likely not going to get out of the contract.

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I think the suspension idea might be your best bet if DirecTV won't do something themselves. Say your son only has 6 months left under his contract. You could suspend your account for 6 months, then cancel his account and take yours off suspension. That way you don't have to pay any ETF. If your son is under contract for more than 16 months then you could suspend his account for 6 months, and run off your account. Then 6 months from now you will only have 10 months left on your contract so you could just pay the $200 ETF ($20/month) to cancel your account and then turn his back on. The trick would be to suspend whichever account has th elonger commitment required, that way you minimize the ETF you have to pay.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#12 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I think the suspension idea might be your best bet if DirecTV won't do something themselves. Say your son only has 6 months left under his contract. You could suspend your account for 6 months, then cancel his account and take yours off suspension. That way you don't have to pay any ETF. If your son is under contract for more than 16 months then you could suspend his account for 6 months, and run off your account. Then 6 months from now you will only have 10 months left on your contract so you could just pay the $200 ETF ($20/month) to cancel your account and then turn his back on. The trick would be to suspend whichever account has th elonger commitment required, that way you minimize the ETF you have to pay.

If the OP has only been installed for 6 months he will probably have an expensive movers cost and suspending that account would waste his remaining 6 months of first year credits. Seems to be an expensive route.

#13 OFFLINE   bwarning

bwarning

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

If both accounts are longer then 6 months why not suspend 1 account for the six months then reactivate it and suspend the other for 6 months. Just keep swapping until the contract is over.

#14 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

call Directv and ask for the retention group. Make sure to have your son on a second line. explain the issue and ask that the accounts be combined. It will add the longer commitment to the account that remains but will allow you to avoid an early cancellation fee.

Edited by Brubear, 21 December 2012 - 12:07 PM.
grammatical correction

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#15 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

call Directv and ask for the retention group. Make sure to have your son on a second line. explain the issue and ask that the accounts be combined. It will add the longer commitment to the account that remains but will allow you to avoid an early cancellation fee.

This would not be an option. The only time accounts can be merged is if a person with two accounts in their name are merging them or two people are becoming married/domestic partnership are moving in with each other.
--
Roomates or Friends/Parents moving in with each other does not qualify for merging of accounts.

#16 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Technically yes but presented with the loss of an account otherwise they may consider - nobody else is going to be able to accomodate.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#17 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

This would not be an option. The only time accounts can be merged is if a person with two accounts in their name are merging them or two people are becoming married/domestic partnership are moving in with each other.
--
Roomates or Friends/Parents moving in with each other does not qualify for merging of accounts.

This is correct
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

If both accounts are longer then 6 months why not suspend 1 account for the six months then reactivate it and suspend the other for 6 months. Just keep swapping until the contract is over.

this would not work because when an account is on suspension (hold), the contract stops as well.

#19 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

this would not work because when an account is on suspension (hold), the contract stops as well.

Yes, but you could use 6 months of each contract at a time. Six months from one contract while the other is suspended and then switch out. It would take longer but it would get around the ETF.

#20 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Calling Direct would be the best answer as only they can work out something.Talk of suspending account with tie in to the landlords dish makes me wonder if that is possible.The account would still list that address and the new renters could not get service turned on. ALL cable companies here in Fl must have a signed and paid up notice in the account and when a new renter wants to obtain service , it depends on the date the old renters asked for service cutoff and last bill paid. wHEN I LIVED IN AN APARTMENT dIRECT HAD TO OBTAIN AN OK SLIP FROM THE APARTMENT MANAGER TO INSTALL AND WHEN I LEFT THE APARTMENT COMPLEX HAD TO HAVE A COPY OF SERVICE DISCONNECT from me and bill paid in full. He may have to pay a termination fee, but due to special reason ,they made down grade the amount. He and his son need to call.

spam firewall