Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best restart procedure following power loss?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I have not lost power since my equipment was installed. My power is reliable, but there is an official blizzard forecast tonight.

I have my SWiM power inserter, wired DECA, cable modem, and router on a small UPS. The HR34 is on its own UPS as well. No UPS power for the C31s.

In the event that we lose power beyond the few minutes' duration these devices will provide, is there a preferred procedure for restarting everything?

Maybe the power inserter first, and after a few minutes, the HR34?

Any other details relating to powering things up & down? I really wish there was a way to gracefully shut off the DVR; simply pulling the power cord if you want to relocate the box, rearrange cables, etc. just seems so abrupt.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'd do the cable modem first, then your router, then the PI then the DECA, the HR34 and then the C31's. I say the network hardware first so it's up and running so it can give out an IP address for your local network when the HR34 comes up.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Any other details relating to powering things up & down? I really wish there was a way to gracefully shut off the DVR; simply pulling the power cord if you want to relocate the box, rearrange cables, etc. just seems so abrupt.

The following is as graceful of a shut down as you can get:
Press Menu
Select Settings & Help
Select Settings
Select Reset
Select Restart Receiver
Wait for it to turn off and then pull the plug.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#4 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

The following is as graceful of a shut down as you can get:
Press Menu
Select Settings & Help
Select Settings
Select Reset
Select Restart Receiver
Wait for it to turn off and then pull the plug.

Ah, like catching a rebooting PC as it starts the BIOS but hasn't started booting Windows yet.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Ah, like catching a rebooting PC as it starts the BIOS but hasn't started booting Windows yet.

Exactly.....that is always the best way to cleanly shutdown the dvr. For a simple reboot, just skip the pull the plug part. IMO, this method should always be used unless the unit is unresponsive to remote commands.

#6 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I have not lost power since my equipment was installed. My power is reliable, but there is an official blizzard forecast tonight.

I would also add an APC UPS Backup System as since I have done it I have had Zero Problems with Rebooting Problems or Issues and I have No Visible Artifacts on the Screen!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

All my stuff always comes back on by itself
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I would also add an APC UPS Backup System as since I have done it I have had Zero Problems with Rebooting Problems or Issues and I have No Visible Artifacts on the Screen!!! :)

I do have an APC UPS on the HR34.

Well, the satellite has already gone out, citing lack of signal. Fortunately, it came back when I gently brushed the snow off the dish. Glad I made sure it they mounted it where I could do so.

Maybe I need to restart via menu, and then pull the plug when it starts the reboot, and finally install the AM21 I got last week.

#9 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

AM21 wont help...you need an independant OTA feed

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,260 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

The shutdown is more critical. You don't want to lose power during a write cycle on the DVR. So the menu/reset is best and as it powers down, pull the plug before reboot. L:ike dielray wrote.

Of course if its random you don't know its coming only a UPS can help that.

For start ups, I never worry about it. Where I live we have lots of brief power failures during summertime and all my modems and routers and receivers come back fine in any order. Just be patient and let everything settle down.

#11 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

AM21 wont help...you need an independant OTA feed

I have an antenna connection ready for it, split two ways: one to my old TiVo right next to the HR34, and the other was formerly connected to the television's own tuner. I'll steal the latter for the AM21.

#12 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

People need to look at the electrical output of an APC on a scope and then pray D* has some great AC filtering on their units.

#13 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

If your on a 771 AM21 wont help.....just sayin

#14 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

If your on a 771 AM21 wont help.....just sayin

Indeed, on the satellite channels. I just wanted to have redundant access to my locals during this and other storms.

The AM21 is up and running now.

#15 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

People need to look at the electrical output of an APC on a scope and then pray D* has some great AC filtering on their units.

Please elaborate. I take it you're not a fan of their electrical output characteristics? People use these with computers regularly...

#16 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Indeed, on the satellite channels. I just wanted to have redundant access to my locals during this and other storms.

The AM21 is up and running now.

No .....SFSS shows up on the locals through my AM21 ...i asked on here once if that was normal and VOS said it would for some reason beyond my comprehension

#17 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Please elaborate. I take it you're not a fan of their electrical output characteristics? People use these with computers regularly...

Yes, people use them on computer regularly. Have you looked at the size of the Power Supplies in computers and the AC Filters/Transformers vs what is in a D* IRD? If you think Noise and Square Waves are good for a great picture, then APC UPS units are for you.

In all fairness, I also have APC UPS units on all my electronics. But I also have a $2k power filter system between it and the electronics (including computers).

#18 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

No .....SFSS shows up on the locals through my AM21 ...i asked on here once if that was normal and VOS said it would for some reason beyond my comprehension

Don't understand that. When I get SFSS due to weather and tune to OTA via AM21, it works as expected. It can be a pain to get the channel change enacted with 771 on screen, but I have ota channels on the quick guide (up arrow) and get to them with that.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#19 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I noticed that the installer plugged the power inserter into the "surge protection only" side of my UPS instead of the battery and surge side.

Will I make everything angry if I unplug the PI for a few seconds to move it, or must all the DirecTV stuff be restarted, too?

#20 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I noticed that the installer plugged the power inserter into the "surge protection only" side of my UPS instead of the battery and surge side.

Will I make everything angry if I unplug the PI for a few seconds to move it, or must all the DirecTV stuff be restarted, too?

Be sure you're not recording anything.... and by the time you get a definitive answer, you could have done it, and known first hand.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...