Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TWC drops Ovation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Something tells me Direct TV will soon be in the mix of dropping channels as well.

http://www.nypost.co...gulVTz07mnJrFgJ

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Already have been, and readding (usually), along with the other carriers. Biggest exception for DirecTV is G4, but that's a moot point.

#3 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

When I first had TWC installed, I was pleasantly surprised to find they were showing the BBC series "Later...with Jools Holland". Then they dropped it. Given that, I'm fully in favor of Ovation being dropped.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#4 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

When I first had TWC installed, I was pleasantly surprised to find they were showing the BBC series "Later...with Jools Holland". Then they dropped it. Given that, I'm fully in favor of Ovation being dropped.

Later with Jools Holland moved to Paladia. The picture quality on Ovation SD on Directv is pretty bad, but there are a few interesting arts/music shows on the channel.

TWC making a big deal out of dropping this little channel is sort of silly. This move isn't going to matter one bit to the big media conglomerates that control large channel groups. This won't impact the price demands of Disney (Disney, ABC, ESPN, etc) or Viacom or Comcast/Universal (NBC, USA, SyFy, etc.) These companies know they have high demand channels and can use that leverage to get the weak ones included in contracts.

If TWC wants to make a stand, they need to drop a channel from one of the majors.

Edited by mreposter, 20 December 2012 - 04:41 AM.

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#5 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

wow, they saved 12 cents a month. Way to go Time Warner!

#6 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,995 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have a feeling a lot of Time Warner's subscribers in the NYC area, where they have a thriving arts community, will be switching to DirecTV in the near future. It was one of the first areas to get Ovation on analog in the 90s.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...