Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Price Increase announced

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

http://www.multichan...-january/140823

Directv will certainly announce theirs soon as will all other providers. Everyone is dealing with the huge rise in programming costs. That should come as no surprise. Historically this is typically the time of year as a new calendar year is about to start and that leads to higher programming costs for providers.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 20 December 2012 - 01:27 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

This is no surprise...at least to those that read this forum daily, weekly, or monthly. My...America’s Top 250 will go from $69.99 to $74.99. That $5.00 will be taken food away from the pet dog. He eats too much anyway, and dieting will be the norm now.

Of course, I lose two ways, as President Obama wants me to give up 1.03% of my future Social Security increases... not that they were all that great compared to the plenty daily increases in fuel, home eating gas, and electric each month.

#3 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised.
I figured the increase would be much more considering the past price freeze, good to know they kept it at the average 5$ increase.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

The only glaring error there is the older VIP receiver fees going from $6 to $7 - they have been $7 for several years now.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

The credits for new subscribers are a good thing ... for those who started subscribing this year (up through the price change in January) they will receive a $5 credit until their first year has lapsed. In essence, giving them the price they saw when they signed up - at least for the first year.

I could have sworn that the Hopper only cost $7 per month ... but if DISH says it is "staying" at $10 I guess they are right.

The $10 jump for AT120 + shows the influence of sports. AT120 and AT200 go up $5 and the middle package goes up $10. And the top package goes up $15 ... but again, there are credits that will reduce the bite of the higher prices.

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

I was surprised by the level of the increases...7% to 20%.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

I was surprised by the level of the increases...7% to 20%.

Your opinion ... is it low or high?
I wish it were less but it has been two years since the last across the board increase.

#8 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Your opinion ... is it low or high?
I wish it were less but it has been two years since the last across the board increase.

High, but with a caveat. They didn't take an increase this past year so they are having to make up for it in 2013, so it's completely understandable. In that lens, it looks high when you compare it to other providers for their 2013 increases, but most if not all of them took an increase in 2012 so it may normalize out.

It's also optically difficult to gauge these things because one provider may not touch programming rates much, but instead raises other fees and services instead. As a result those items can be masked.
DIRECTV employee

#9 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

The $10 jump for AT120 + shows the influence of sports. AT120 and AT200 go up $5 and the middle package goes up $10.

I don't know... I would agree with you IF all the packages above that (AT200, AT250) went up $10... but they didn't.

The price difference between AT120 and AT200 is still $15 pre and post price increase.

What has changed is AT120+ is now almost the same price as AT200.

What that indicates to me... is... that Dish doesn't want you to subscribe to AT120+. Instead, if you wanted AT120+ for the sports, they want you to go ahead and spend $5 more and get AT200.

I think Dish maybe wants to do away with the AT120+ package by making it less attractive to stay on that tier by giving it more of a price increase.

The $15 increase on AEP probably then is a $5 split for the regular increase on all packages + another $10 to account for the premium price increases that I think happened earlier.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

The only glaring error there is the older VIP receiver fees going from $6 to $7 - they have been $7 for several years now.

The error was that it was the DVR fee not the service fee.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

The 120 plus has a $10 increase? Wow. $49.99 to $59.99. That's a 20% increase. Something big is in there that is driving that number.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

What has changed is AT120+ is now almost the same price as AT200.

Instead of being almost the same price as AT120. Package prices are more marketing driven than cost driven but people do look at what they are getting for their money ... for years DISH has sent the message that "your RSNs cost $5 more" by having a plus package. And the rest of the channels one gets in AT200 over AT120 are $10 more? ... The new price split is closer to the reality (based on the SNL Kagan channel cost numbers that are published occasionally).

The $15 increase on AEP probably then is a $5 split for the regular increase on all packages + another $10 to account for the premium price increases that I think happened earlier.

Or just a reflection of the thought that the people paying the most will gripe but continue to pay the most. AEP was underpriced ... and if people scale back to AT250 plus less movie packages they are giving up a discount. People are less likely to do that.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

Posted Image
There are two lines for each package (most years) due to the addition of locals. The lower line was the "without locals" price. All packages now include locals (since mid 2010). The shaded area are the difference between with locals and without.

#15 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

It also suggests to me that dropping down to 120 regular makes sense right after college basketball season ends and bringing it back up as college football season starts. Once summer hits I am off doing other things and rarely watching Tv anyway. Now the costs really do mean something. It's $25 a month to from AT 250 to AT 120. That's good amount when no one in the house is watching much anyway. Can work to my advantage I guess and the sports providers will end up collecting less from me in the end I guess.

My RSN, Root NW doesn't show much besides the Mariners anyway, which I rarely watch, so dropping them completely in the summer months seems like a plan.

#16 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

I guess we r paying for the AMC now .

#17 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Guess I left DISH just in time. They were going to upgrade me to the hopper and joey, but wanted to squabble about $10 extra per month on the bill every month. Also put me back in a 24 month contract, and even at that, they said they WOULD NOT guarantee the price would not go up. They probably knew all along the price increase was coming. Hello DirecTV! :-)

#18 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Guess I left DISH just in time. They were going to upgrade me to the hopper and joey, but wanted to squabble about $10 extra per month on the bill every month. Also put me back in a 24 month contract, and even at that, they said they WOULD NOT guarantee the price would not go up. They probably knew all along the price increase was coming. Hello DirecTV! :-)

You are aware you do pay more @ Directv....not with these price increase, of course, but I can hardly believe that they won't go up at Directv, so time will tell.

#19 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

ACTUALLY, ITS THE SAME PRICE! Dish argued with me for 15 minutes that Direct would be higher. I guess DISH didn't understand the word cancel.

the bill will go up $10 after 12 months, but its the same at dish.

You always get multiple discounts as a "new" customer.

You are aware you do pay more @ Directv....not with these price increase, of course, but I can hardly believe that they won't go up at Directv, so time will tell.

#20 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

You can't be serious..... What a surprise. Please.

spam firewall