Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Price Increase announced

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

You are aware you do pay more @ Directv....not with these price increase, of course, but I can hardly believe that they won't go up at Directv, so time will tell.

I'm expecting D* to raise prices in the $4-$5 per package range.

But whether or not D* is cheaper even on a package basis depends on package, and of course, how much cheaper is also there.

For instance for those of us that like it all, here's the today price breakdown:

E* 'Everything' package @$104.99 plus $9 for multi-sport = $113.99

D* Premier = $119.99

So a $6 higher pricetag and I get more sports that I will watch and more movie channel selections in the big 4 premiums.

Not enough to make one rush to switch.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

So is Dish going to throw in the sports pack with AEP? If not then why a $15 increase and nothing added?

Also I am new to Dish about a month and half in and have AEP with the promo price. Will I get a $5 extra price protection credit? I didn't know if I did and if I do is it $5 or $10 a month on the AEP. Thanks for the help guys.

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

You are aware you do pay more @ Directv....not with these price increase, of course, but I can hardly believe that they won't go up at Directv, so time will tell.

Absolutely there will be an increase with DirecTV. And like SR says, same with the others. Everyone just has to decide when it's too much and make a decision to stay or leave. Though it's fairly pointless to move to a different carrier over a price increase, unless it's like what Frontier did in the FIOS areas they took over. It makes more sense to decide to cut out paid service alltogether.

#24 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

After 8 years of DISH, we did leave, but because of far more issues with them over time, than $5.
We've been extremely pleased with DIRECTV so far, and got another $20 off due to referrals.
Everyone makes decisions on what suits their needs at the time.

#25 OFFLINE   ebox4greg

ebox4greg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Just noticed today, ORDER DISH TODAY, and get a FREE $50 VISA giftcard.

WOW! is this to make up for the upcoming price change??? LOL :nono:

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

So is Dish going to throw in the sports pack with AEP? If not then why a $15 increase and nothing added?

Price increases are common ... it is nice to look at "something added" that offsets the price but that cannot always be found. The cost to DISH for everything they offer is continually going up.

Also I am new to Dish about a month and half in and have AEP with the promo price. Will I get a $5 extra price protection credit? I didn't know if I did and if I do is it $5 or $10 a month on the AEP. Thanks for the help guys.

As a new subscriber (since 3/1/12) you'll get the $5 credit until your first year is up. As an AEP subscriber you will also get a $10 credit (or free HD for Life if you somehow don't have that already). The $15 increase will be covered by credits ... until your first year lapses and then you'll see a $5 increase. Then the $10 credit will come off after 18 months. (Of course, by then we will be paying 2014 prices.)

Nope. That is an entirely separate offer. Everyone who has signed up for DISH since 3/1/2012 will not see the effect of the price change until their first year is up. That makes up for the price change.

#27 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I for one will protest this increase by going to and using over the air and Amazon.com and others like for my television needs. I don’t see going to cable or direct TV or any of them. If more people just don’t switch and start using over the air these companies will get the point and that these increases can’t keep going on. I don’t care if dish did not raise prices for two years it’s the old saying you can pay me now or you can pay later. I for one won’t do either if this happens! I am at my breaking point; being with dish for 14+ years I am just tired of all of this! Sorry for the vent!!

#28 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

I for one will protest this increase by going to and using over the air and Amazon.com and others like for my television needs. I don’t see going to cable or direct TV or any of them. If more people just don’t switch and start using over the air these companies will get the point and that these increases can’t keep going on. I don’t care if dish did not raise prices for two years it’s the old saying you can pay me now or you can pay later. I for one won’t do either if this happens! I am at my breaking point; being with dish for 14+ years I am just tired of all of this! Sorry for the vent!!

If more people keep switching to OTA+Amazon/Netflix the only companies that will get the point are Amazon and Netflix and will increase there prices accordingly.

These Ota alternatives arent for ever and heavily rely on the existence of tv providers like Dish, DTV and Cable companies. You are of course in effect watching programing made for those companies, if everyone switches to streaming there wont be any shows to stream any more ;)

Everyone switching to alternative streaming methods is not the way to teach pay tv providers a lesson lol.

#29 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

http://www.multichan...-january/140823

Directv will certainly announce theirs soon as will all other providers. Everyone is dealing with the huge rise in programming costs.

That's not too bad.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#30 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well, there goes Blockbuster.

#31 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Price increases are common ... it is nice to look at "something added" that offsets the price but that cannot always be found. The cost to DISH for everything they offer is continually going up.

As a new subscriber (since 3/1/12) you'll get the $5 credit until your first year is up. As an AEP subscriber you will also get a $10 credit (or free HD for Life if you somehow don't have that already). The $15 increase will be covered by credits ... until your first year lapses and then you'll see a $5 increase. Then the $10 credit will come off after 18 months. (Of course, by then we will be paying 2014 prices.)

Thank you for all your help!! I was just thinking Dish would add the sports pack or maybe Blockbuster. I know Direct hasn't went public with their increases but at least they give you their sports pack with Premiere.

#32 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Well, there goes Blockbuster.

I'm thinking about dropping Blockbuser and adding AT 250.. I don't watch the channels. Of course I'll miss the movies.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#33 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

If more people keep switching to OTA+Amazon/Netflix the only companies that will get the point are Amazon and Netflix and will increase there prices accordingly.

These Ota alternatives arent for ever and heavily rely on the existence of tv providers like Dish, DTV and Cable companies. You are of course in effect watching programing made for those companies, if everyone switches to streaming there wont be any shows to stream any more ;)

Everyone switching to alternative streaming methods is not the way to teach pay tv providers a lesson lol.

So I guess your just saying suck it up and pay it! How about I send a blank check and ask them to write in the amount. I guess that another way to do it..no?

#34 OFFLINE   sloop30

sloop30

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

That covers 10 months of the price increase, and u can get money off with referrals as well. You switched to be subjected to a price increase with Direct tv, good luck..would love to see the look on your face if they merge like its being rumored lol

#35 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

If they are raising the price that much more for the 120+ Package the least they could do is make the RSN's 24/7 HD. That larger increase for the 120+ goes to show how many really want their RSN's. "E" is betting that the majority of 120+ customers will pay the extra now for the 200 package.

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

If they are raising the price that much more for the 120+ Package the least they could do is make the RSN's 24/7 HD. That larger increase for the 120+ goes to show how many really want their RSN's. "E" is betting that the majority of 120+ customers will pay the extra now for the 200 package.

I agree ... it is past time for RSNs in HD 24/7.

#37 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

And where is CW in HD???? I have been asking for this for months.

Does anyone know what the increases are for the individual premium channels (ie. HBO, SHO, etc.)?
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#38 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

How much of this goes to AMC/Rainbow? Probably a fair bit. And remember how the BTN was off for a week? People jumped ship (or at least threatened to) over the lack of these channels. Well, those channels are now back on Dish, and you didn't think prices would stay the same, did you? All these contract disputes are about one thing: the programming providers want more money, and Dish isn't going to just empty their wallets and give it to them - it's going to come from us. Those jumping to DirecTV over this are jumping the gun - DirecTV has also been caught up in these negotiations with multiple providers, and they'll have to pass their negotiated price increases on to their customers. So you may jump to a provider that actually ends up raising prices even higher than Dish, and be under contract for quite some time paying it, too.

OTA plus streaming is a viable alternative. I think it will be for a long time. But what is available via streaming and OTA is not the same as what is available via the pay providers. Either you can live without those things, or you pony up the money.

#39 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

It's not a matter of what was added, it's a matter of what the cost is.

Let's use the ESPN example. This year Dish pays X, next year they will pay X +. Did ESPN give DISH anything additional? Still the same channel. This is the case with most channels. Their costs are going up.

No different than many other things. If your electric bill goes up next year, are you getting "better electricity"? More electricity? Water bills....gas bill...etc. It goes up because the costs of those services go up (whether it is a commodity, or the cost of production, or whatever).

My two cents.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#40 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Read an article yesterday that Netflix will need to be at $19.99 to be profitable in just a few years. The reality is that if people switch, the producers of this content still need to earn their revenues to pay for things like Monday Night Football, producing Game of Thrones, Dexter, Family Guy, etc, etc. They'll jack up the rates on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc because they can't be without the revenues they have locked into to pay for the development of content.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall