Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Price Increase announced

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

What is the point of the AEP package? It used to be a savings for subscribers by combining premium channels and DVR service at a discount. Now there is no savings with it and in fact costs $1.00 more than getting AT250 plus the four premiums (AT250 $74.99 plus $44 for all four premiums = $118.99, the new AEP price = $119.99). Makes no sense.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

All I can do is look at it from my perspective. First, I believe I saved $29.16 in 2012 because there was no rate increase:

Posted Image

I was not aware that any other provider, cable or satellite, did that.

Secondly, because of the dispute with AMC, I dropped from the AT200 to the AT120 because at that point the only channel left in the AT200 package we watched regularly was BBCA and I couldn't justify $15 a month for one channel. Then when the AMC thing was settled it magically appeared in the AT120 package.

For me a $5 a month increase is very, very reasonable. Now I have to decide what to do about equipment because my old 722's hard drive is non-functional for recording. Do I make the shift to a Hopper....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#43 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Yes, DirecTV is also going to be raising prices sometime in Feb. next year. It comes after disputing with Viacom over their channels and Time Warner over Los Angeles Laker's games. DirecTV kept the Viacom channels which means a price increase for customers as well as carry the Time Warner channel for the Laker's games customers wanted.
Every carrier has price increases. However, DirecTV is very good at negotiating deals. It would of never taken DirecTV as long as it took Dish to get AMC back.

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

Yes, DirecTV is also going to be raising prices sometime in Feb. next year. It comes after disputing with Viacom over their channels and Time Warner over Los Angeles Laker's games. DirecTV kept the Viacom channels which means a price increase for customers as well as carry the Time Warner channel for the Laker's games customers wanted.

It is also the beginning of the year ... when was the last year there was not a price increase at the beginning of the year? It is clockwork ... regardless of the specific examples from the year prior to each annual increase.

Every carrier has price increases. However, DirecTV is very good at negotiating deals. It would of never taken DirecTV as long as it took Dish to get AMC back.

Less time than Versus? We could get into the petty DISH vs DirecTV bickering but this really isn't the place for it. Both providers have had their issues with different providers (and often the same providers) over the past years.

BTW: All this week I've been seeing warnings from a local station about my local CBS leaving DISH at 12:01am Friday morning. It is after 3am now and the warnings have been pulled from the station's website. Hopefully yet another deal done without any interruption.

#45 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

And after waiting for 2 or more years for a deal to be brokered, when will Dish give us ESPNU in HD? The increases need to reflect a two-way benefit...for Dish and for the customers...

C'mon man...☺☺
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#46 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

I just looked at the lineups - and it's been a long time since I did anything with my programming package...

I have to ask myself if Encore, H2 and DIY are worth $10/mo as those are the only channels I really watch that require the AT250. If VH1 Classic were in HD, I might include that.

#47 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thank you for all your help!! I was just thinking Dish would add the sports pack or maybe Blockbuster. I know Direct hasn't went public with their increases but at least they give you their sports pack with Premiere.

At least part of the price increase is suppose to be the result of the players getting a big bump in their salary. I also remember reading that some cable providers are planing to add packages without the sports channels because of this.

#48 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

It's not a matter of what was added, it's a matter of what the cost is.

Let's use the ESPN example. This year Dish pays X, next year they will pay X +. Did ESPN give DISH anything additional? Still the same channel. This is the case with most channels. Their costs are going up.

No different than many other things. If your electric bill goes up next year, are you getting "better electricity"? More electricity? Water bills....gas bill...etc. It goes up because the costs of those services go up (whether it is a commodity, or the cost of production, or whatever).

My two cents.

I understand that every year our prices will go up no matter what. I just don't get a $15 increase. If it was $5 like the rest then I could see that but $15 is a huge and I mean huge jump in price.

By the way your wrong with your ESPN example. I am a huge college football fan. ESPN just bought the rites to the first ever Division 1 college football playoff. They buy the rights to everything so they do add content all the time. Now I know not everyone watched ESPN and lots who don't want it so I get that too but ESPN does add content every single year.

AEP and their $15 increase as of now has not added anything. At least give us the sports pack like DirecTV.

#49 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

At least part of the price increase is suppose to be the result of the players getting a big bump in their salary. I also remember reading that some cable providers are planing to add packages without the sports channels because of this.

All sports should be in one package. Never going to happen though.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#50 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

I just put the updated info in the FAQ.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

I understand that every year our prices will go up no matter what. I just don't get a $15 increase. If it was $5 like the rest then I could see that but $15 is a huge and I mean huge jump in price.

Part of that comes from holding down the price over the past few years. DISH tried to stay under the $100 price point ... they broke it when they went to $104.99 a couple of years back. There is less reason to keep the price artifically low.

With AEP being AT250+four movie packages it makes it simple for people to scale back if they wish ... drop one or more of the movie packages or drop to AT200 plus the movie packages of choice.

All sports should be in one package. Never going to happen though.

No thank you ... not ALL sports in one package. While the price of ESPN bumping up all packages is not a good thought at least people can get ESPN without paying for the other networks.

See previous a la carte discussions for the argument over how much such a package would cost.

#52 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

We pay enough as it is. I'll switch our package to the Top 200 from Top 250 and Red Zone will be dropped as soon as the NFL season is over. That will save money with the new increase. We don't need to be paying more for TV especially when most of the channels aren't worth it nor do we watch them.

#53 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I like the 20 channels you get with the BB $10. I don't like the slow BB movie delivery but will keep BB. It would seem Dish would want to do something about the slow DVD service either by improving their streaming interface and selection or improving the DVD turnaround and availability. Poor service pretty much always costs you customers. After dropping from the 250 to the 200 plan last year, I am now wondering why I even have 200. It used to be that you had to have 200 or greater to get the music channels, now they are available on the 120 plan. When I look at 200 there are only 2 channels that I even rarely watch. Hallmark and BBC America.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#54 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

What is the point of the AEP package? It used to be a savings for subscribers by combining premium channels and DVR service at a discount. Now there is no savings with it and in fact costs $1.00 more than getting AT250 plus the four premiums (AT250 $74.99 plus $44 for all four premiums = $118.99, the new AEP price = $119.99). Makes no sense.

Do we know yet that the four-for-$44 will still hold true? HBO is going up (or maybe it already has, I can't remember)... It wouldn't surprise me if the $44 premium package discount goes up too.

That price list so far only shows the major packages... not the premiums or other add-ons.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#55 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Do we know yet that the four-for-$44 will still hold true? HBO is going up (or maybe it already has, I can't remember)... It wouldn't surprise me if the $44 premium package discount goes up too.

That price list so far only shows the major packages... not the premiums or other add-ons.

HBO recently went up to $18/month.

#56 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Going up $1 to $45 on the 17th.

#57 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Well, I just got my Social Security COLA letter this week. My income will increase less than half of the Dish increase. I'm glad no other prices are going up.

If this is about sports, they really need to create a sports-less package for us odd ducks who NEVER watch the sports channels and would be very happy to see them all go away. I can understand bundled pricing, but to force me to pay for a whole class of programming that I will never watch seems unfair at the best.

#58 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

I need water and electric. I don't need or watch ESPN. So why am I forced to pay for an expensive channel I will never watch? In fact I have all the sports channels blocked.

#59 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I need water and electric. I don't need or watch ESPN. So why am I forced to pay for an expensive channel I will never watch? In fact I have all the sports channels blocked.

Because of the evil empire (Disney).
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#60 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Seems like there is more than just the increases for the TOP120+ and AEP, like something being added to them. Perhaps Top120+ is being phased out? It will be $10 more than the Top120, so that's a reasonable choice, but only $5 less than the Top200 with quite a few more channels. As for AEP - why even have the package if it's the same as getting the Top250 and the all the Movies in price.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...