Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Price Increase announced

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I need water and electric. I don't need or watch ESPN. So why am I forced to pay for an expensive channel I will never watch? In fact I have all the sports channels blocked.

If Dish wants to Kick Directv in the Nuts big TIME, All they have to do is offer A La Carte ! I only watch 10 channels or so Plus Movies channels

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

If Dish wants to Kick Directv in the Nuts big TIME, All they have to do is offer A La Carte ! I only watch 10 channels or so Plus Movies channels

Me too. $10 channels at $7 each plus 15 a month for the movie channels. Sweet. Only $85mo. Yes, at a-la-cart rates that's what they would be.

#63 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Its been discussed a million times and the general consensus is its not affordable for the customer. Bundled channel packages would be significantly cheaper for you.

Your 10 channels would probably cost just as much as the AT200.

#64 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

You have to get the programmers to go along with ala carte as well, so far they have not.

#65 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

HBO recently went up to $18/month.

Really?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#66 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Well, I just got my Social Security COLA letter this week. My income will increase less than half of the Dish increase. I'm glad no other prices are going up.

If this is about sports, they really need to create a sports-less package for us odd ducks who NEVER watch the sports channels and would be very happy to see them all go away. I can understand bundled pricing, but to force me to pay for a whole class of programming that I will never watch seems unfair at the best.

I fully agree with you. 20 years ago The Disney was $10 a month.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#67 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Really?

HBO is $18 on Dish.

As pointed out - A La Carte has been talked to death. You will pay more than you do now, for fewer channels. Fine if you only want two or three channels, but even then you will be screaming at paying so much for those two or three.
Want an example? RSN's cost somewhere around $3+ now (toward $4 or more for some) with everyone paying, make it A La Carte and it has been determined because so few would actually get them (Compared to everyone being forced to pay now) the cost could be $10 to $15 a month for just the RSN.
So lets say $10 for the RSN, and approx $7 each for five channels. That is $31 for just those four channels. Does not even include the cost of locals. We already see $5+ is the price for some of the A La Carte available. Some channels will cost more than the $7, some might cost somewhat less..... But you can see it just does not work unless you really only want a couple of channels.

#68 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

HBO is $18 on Dish.

As pointed out - A La Carte has been talked to death. You will pay more than you do now, for fewer channels. Fine if you only want two or three channels, but even then you will be screaming at paying so much for those two or three.
Want an example? RSN's cost somewhere around $3+ now (toward $4 or more for some) with everyone paying, make it A La Carte and it has been determined because so few would actually get them (Compared to everyone being forced to pay now) the cost could be $10 to $15 a month for just the RSN.
So lets say $10 for the RSN, and approx $7 each for five channels. That is $31 for just those four channels. Does not even include the cost of locals. We already see $5+ is the price for some of the A La Carte available. Some channels will cost more than the $7, some might cost somewhat less..... But you can see it just does not work unless you really only want a couple of channels.

And even then those few channels may cost more together , then the price of going from at 200 to at 250, so if it were possible to get a la carte + a package the logical choice would probably still be to just get the package instead.

#69 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

I understand that every year our prices will go up no matter what. I just don't get a $15 increase. If it was $5 like the rest then I could see that but $15 is a huge and I mean huge jump in price.

By the way your wrong with your ESPN example. I am a huge college football fan. ESPN just bought the rites to the first ever Division 1 college football playoff. They buy the rights to everything so they do add content all the time. Now I know not everyone watched ESPN and lots who don't want it so I get that too but ESPN does add content every single year.

AEP and their $15 increase as of now has not added anything. At least give us the sports pack like DirecTV.

I don't understand a $15 increase either. I've never seen one that big for programming.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#70 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

http://skyvision.com...ndex.html#10pak

Just a little reminder what the channels really cost and they still make money !

Get It All Pak
$46.66 a month
with annual subscription

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

∙ BBC America ∙ Centeric (BET Jazz) ∙ Biography ∙ Bravo E&W
∙ Bloomberg TV ∙ Chiller ∙ Cooking Channel ∙ Current TV
∙ OWN (Discovery Health) ∙ Planet Green (Discovery Home)
∙ The Hub (Discovery Kids) ∙ Discovery Military
∙ Discovery Science ∙ Investigation Discovery (Discovery Times)
∙ DMX Music ∙ ESPN Classic ∙ FIT TV
∙ FOX Movie Channel ∙ FOX Soccer Channel ∙ FUSE ∙ G4
∙ Game Show Network ∙ Golf ∙ GAC
∙ HGTV East & West ∙ History International
∙ History Channel East & West ∙ Horse Racing Channel ∙ IFC
∙ Halogen (Inspirational Life) ∙ Lifetime Movie Network
∙ MTV2 ∙ MTV Hits ∙ National Geographic ∙ Nick Toons
∙ Teen Nick (Nick GAS) ∙ Nick Jr (Noggin) ∙ RFD-TV
∙ OLN (Versus) ∙ The Outdoor Channel ∙ Sci-Fi
∙ Shop NBC ∙ Sleuth ∙ Speed Channel ∙ Sprout for Kids
∙ Style ∙ TBN ∙ Disney XD (Toon Disney) ∙ TCM
∙ The Word ∙ TV Games ∙ VH1 Classic
∙ VH1 Country (CMT Pure) ∙ VH1 Soul ∙ WE

PLUS

∙ Starz E ∙ Starz West ∙ Starz Cinema E ∙ Sundance
∙ Starz Comedy E (Kids) ∙ Starz Edge E ∙ Starz Edge W
∙ Starz in Black E ∙ Starz Kids & Family E ∙ Encore Action E
∙ Encore Action W ∙ Encore Drama E ∙ Encore Drama W
∙ Encore E ∙ Encore W ∙ Encore Love E ∙ Encore Love W
∙ Encore Mystery E ∙ Encore Mystery W ∙ Encore WAM E
∙ Encore Westerns E ∙ Encore Westerns W ∙ MOVIEplex E

$55.99 Month

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee !

#71 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,007 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

I don't understand a $15 increase either. I've never seen one that big for programming.

As I read it, the only package getting a $15 increase is the Everything Pack... so, while not good if you subscribe to that... at least it is the Everything Pack going up the most, which makes sense given that it has pretty much all the channels.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#72 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

But doesn't make sense from this standpoint... AEP has no more channels than Top250. (Plus the movies of course) AEP went up $5. So that leaves a $10 increase. The four movie packages at least at this time are about $1 more at $45 than they were. So that's leaves about a $9 or so increase not accounted for. Like many have pointed out, with that $9 increase it's the same price as getting the Top250 and the four movie packages, so why bother having an AEP? Just seems there is more to it that we do not know...

#73 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

http://skyvision.com...ndex.html#10pak

Just a little reminder what the channels really cost and they still make money !

Get It All Pak
$46.66 a month
with annual subscription

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

∙ BBC America ∙ Centeric (BET Jazz) ∙ Biography ∙ Bravo E&W
∙ Bloomberg TV ∙ Chiller ∙ Cooking Channel ∙ Current TV
∙ OWN (Discovery Health) ∙ Planet Green (Discovery Home)
∙ The Hub (Discovery Kids) ∙ Discovery Military
∙ Discovery Science ∙ Investigation Discovery (Discovery Times)
∙ DMX Music ∙ ESPN Classic ∙ FIT TV
∙ FOX Movie Channel ∙ FOX Soccer Channel ∙ FUSE ∙ G4
∙ Game Show Network ∙ Golf ∙ GAC
∙ HGTV East & West ∙ History International
∙ History Channel East & West ∙ Horse Racing Channel ∙ IFC
∙ Halogen (Inspirational Life) ∙ Lifetime Movie Network
∙ MTV2 ∙ MTV Hits ∙ National Geographic ∙ Nick Toons
∙ Teen Nick (Nick GAS) ∙ Nick Jr (Noggin) ∙ RFD-TV
∙ OLN (Versus) ∙ The Outdoor Channel ∙ Sci-Fi
∙ Shop NBC ∙ Sleuth ∙ Speed Channel ∙ Sprout for Kids
∙ Style ∙ TBN ∙ Disney XD (Toon Disney) ∙ TCM
∙ The Word ∙ TV Games ∙ VH1 Classic
∙ VH1 Country (CMT Pure) ∙ VH1 Soul ∙ WE

PLUS

∙ Starz E ∙ Starz West ∙ Starz Cinema E ∙ Sundance
∙ Starz Comedy E (Kids) ∙ Starz Edge E ∙ Starz Edge W
∙ Starz in Black E ∙ Starz Kids & Family E ∙ Encore Action E
∙ Encore Action W ∙ Encore Drama E ∙ Encore Drama W
∙ Encore E ∙ Encore W ∙ Encore Love E ∙ Encore Love W
∙ Encore Mystery E ∙ Encore Mystery W ∙ Encore WAM E
∙ Encore Westerns E ∙ Encore Westerns W ∙ MOVIEplex E

$55.99 Month

I am missing your point I think. How is that much different than a similar Dish package? It's nowhere near the channels of the Dish top package... And no RSN among many other sports.

#74 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,644 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Like many have pointed out, with that $9 increase it's the same price as getting the Top250 and the four movie packages, so why bother having an AEP? Just seems there is more to it that we do not know...

AT250 $74.99+$45 for all four movie packages = $119.99. The same price as AEP. I don't see why AEP needs to be cheaper than AT250+four movie packages. The $45 for four movie packages is already a $12 discount.

I seem to remember pricing a few years back where AEP = AT250+4 movie packs. And I remember complaints that AEP jumped the most ... but no kudos the next couple of years as it stayed low.

I see AEP's price as artificially low for the past few years ... DISH playing with the $100 price. With the 2013 bump to at least $109.99 they might as well get back a real price. DirecTV is already at $119.99 for Premier so they will still be higher than DISH once their annual increase kicks in.

#75 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

AT250 $74.99+$45 for all four movie packages = $119.99. The same price as AEP. I don't see why AEP needs to be cheaper than AT250+four movie packages. The $45 for four movie packages is already a $12 discount.

I seem to remember pricing a few years back where AEP = AT250+4 movie packs. And I remember complaints that AEP jumped the most ... but no kudos the next couple of years as it stayed low.

I see AEP's price as artificially low for the past few years ... DISH playing with the $100 price. With the 2013 bump to at least $109.99 they might as well get back a real price. DirecTV is already at $119.99 for Premier so they will still be higher than DISH once their annual increase kicks in.

True but again at least Direct gives you their sports pack with their premier. Plus more Max channels and more HD in their premiums. Especially their Showtimes.

So please tell us what is Dish adding????? It doesn't make sense. Even if Direct goes up some they still off more in their top pack.

#76 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,007 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Dish has some channels that DirecTV doesn't have too... so you could just as well ask that in the DirecTV forum.

I think the larger point here is... AEP pricing = AT250 + Premium Pack isn't the end of the world. In fact, it makes a kind of sense that you wouldn't get a discount for AEP over buying AT250 + Premiums when that is essentially what AEP is.

Probably the idea is AEP might eventually go away as a tier to simplify things.

Based on the pricing, I think they also want to move people off of AT120+... that would leave less tiers and less confusion I think from customers.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#77 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Dish has some channels that DirecTV doesn't have too... so you could just as well ask that in the DirecTV forum.

I think the larger point here is... AEP pricing = AT250 + Premium Pack isn't the end of the world. In fact, it makes a kind of sense that you wouldn't get a discount for AEP over buying AT250 + Premiums when that is essentially what AEP is.

Probably the idea is AEP might eventually go away as a tier to simplify things.

Based on the pricing, I think they also want to move people off of AT120+... that would leave less tiers and less confusion I think from customers.

I'm just talking their top packages. You raise it $15 you should at least add more premiums and make them all HD. Hell throw in the Epix channels. Come on Stewart you don't have to always defend Dish man.

At least others on here are stumped by a $15 increase too. Not you though you. I'm not putting Dish down. I like others just don't get it.

#78 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,644 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Looking back there was a time where the gap between what is now AT120 and AT200 was $9 ... ten years ago AT120+ was created in the middle ... $4 less than AT200, $5 more than AT120. Over the past decade the gap between AT120 and AT200 has widened, becoming $15 in 2010. With the increasing price of RSNs the line probably belongs closer to being a little off AT200 instead of a little more than AT120.

BTW: AT250 over AT200 (with name changes) has remained a consistent $10 difference since 2004.

#79 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

It would be nice if I could just opt-out of the rsn's [ didn't realize until lately they are so expensive] and other sports channels I never watch, and keep the same 250 package at the current price.

Opting out isn't the same as charging more for a separate sports package in my thinking.

Something else I've wondered about, if the Showtime channels are the same price between both Direct and Dish, why doesn't Dish carry the same amount of showtime channels as Direct? Seems Dish is missing a couple. Isn't the "package" the same across the board?

#80 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I am missing your point I think. How is that much different than a similar Dish package? It's nowhere near the channels of the Dish top package... And no RSN among many other sports.

I was responding to inazsully price of $85 bucks if you just get a couple of channels A La Carte which you can with the Big dish and pay alot less

spam firewall