Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Price Increase announced

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

It would be nice if I could just opt-out of the rsn's [ didn't realize until lately they are so expensive] and other sports channels I never watch, and keep the same 250 package at the current price.

Opting out isn't the same as charging more for a separate sports package in my thinking.

Something else I've wondered about, if the Showtime channels are the same price between both Direct and Dish, why doesn't Dish carry the same amount of showtime channels as Direct? Seems Dish is missing a couple. Isn't the "package" the same across the board?

Showtime has way less HD channels than HBO & STARZ combind for the same price. Their movies suck.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm just talking their top packages. You raise it $15 you should at least add more premiums and make them all HD. Hell throw in the Epix channels. Come on Stewart you don't have to always defend Dish man.

At least others on here are stumped by a $15 increase too. Not you though you. I'm not putting Dish down. I like others just don't get it.

I'm not "defending" it... just attempting to explain it... and to be fair, the old argument of "raising prices didn't give me new channels" doesn't really wash anyway.

Lots of things go up in price without added value. Gasoline has gone up in price, yet my car still uses the same amount... grocery prices go up and sometimes the ounces in the package go down at the same time!

So yeah, it would be nice to pay more and get more... I think we all agree on that! But it isn't a realistic expectation no matter what the product.

Also the reverse is NEVER asked for by consumers... by which I mean...

When Dish adds some new channels, they typically do not immediately increase the package prices. IF the argument is "they raised the price, where are my extra channels" then the counter to that is "they added some new channels where is my price increase"...

And I personally don't want to encourage that correlation so that Dish does increase cost immediately whenever they add a new channel to the lineup.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#83 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Showtime has way less HD channels than HBO & STARZ combind for the same price. Their movies suck.

Showtime only has one movie studio deal. They are about original programming. Dexter, Weeds, Homeland, etc.

As far as HD channels, pretty close to the same. Remember Movie Channel is part of Showtime as is FLIX.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#84 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Showtime only has one movie studio deal. They are about original programming. Dexter, Weeds, Homeland, etc.

As far as HD channels, pretty close to the same. Remember Movie Channel is part of Showtime as is FLIX.

I know. Happy New Year sir.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#85 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Check out the Directv thread, they just published similar prices increases.
Cable and SAT are both getting them this year as the channels raised there prices.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#86 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

The 120 plus has a $10 increase? Wow. $49.99 to $59.99. That's a 20% increase. Something big is in there that is driving that number.

Ya. A $700M loss to Voom. ;)

I for one won’t do either if this happens! I am at my breaking point; being with dish for 14+ years I am just tired of all of this! Sorry for the vent!!

I hear you. Pay TV is getting to expensive considering what you get anymore - repeat programing & "reality" TV.

If more people keep switching to OTA+Amazon/Netflix the only companies that will get the point are Amazon and Netflix and will increase there prices accordingly.

Would still be cheaper than pay TV - hundreds per year compared to hundreds per month.

How much of this goes to AMC/Rainbow?

In the last 2 years, Dish has payed out $1.2B to TiVo & Voom. I find it hard to believe that price increases has anything [or very little] to do with programming costs.

Edited by demsd, 28 December 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#87 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

In the last 2 years, Dish has payed out $1.2B to TiVo & Voom. I find it hard to believe that price increases has anything [or very little] to do with programming costs.

Ok, I'll play... IF the only reason for Dish increasing is lawsuits... then why, pray tell, is DirecTV who didn't lose any lawsuits raising fees too?

(Hint: Answer is that your speculation is incorrect)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#88 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

It would seem Dish would want to do something about the slow DVD service either by improving their streaming interface and selection or improving the DVD turnaround and availability.

Charlie has the attention span of a 2-year-old with all of his toys out of his toy box.

#89 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Ok, I'll play... IF the only reason for Dish increasing is lawsuits...

Dyslexic? :confused:

What I said was I find it hard to believe that price increases has anything [or very little] to do with programming costs. The lawsuits are not the ONLY reason.

Why, pray tell, would Dish be the only corporation that does not pass its losses onto the consumer? Or is it that you honestly believe the AEP programming costs [ALONE] have actually increased $180/year/subscriber?

Edited by demsd, 28 December 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#90 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

The price increases are not specific to the channels in each programming package.

AEP was underpriced (fighting to stay at then near the $100 price poing) ... this increase puts AEP at the same price DirecTV charged for Premier this year - until DirecTV raises the price of Premier by $5 in February (plus an additional $2 RSN fee in markets with multiple RSNs). Package prices are set where the market will bear.

AT120+ is a bad package to pick on if you are blaming lawsuits for specific price increases. There is nothing lawsuit related in AT120+ and the packages on both sides are going up only $5. What AT120+ does reflect is the never ending price increases demanded by RSNs (note again DirecTV's new $2 extra fee for multiple RSN markets). And while I do not believe RSNs represent $10 of the $15 price difference between AT120 and AT200, DISH has moved the price point to where they believe people will pay what is asked ... or pay $5 more and get DISH's most popular package, AT200.

A little extra in 2011 plus a little extra in 2013 and no price increase for 2012. Look at the big picture not the headline ... and also look at the credits DISH is providing for the two hardest hit packages, AT120+ and AEP. It is not as bad as it seems.

#91 OFFLINE   demsd

demsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

The price increases are not specific to the channels in each programming package.

So that suggests that programming costs for all channels have risen and the increase only reflects the price necessary to offset that increase?

AEP was underpriced (fighting to stay at then near the $100 price poing) ... this increase puts AEP at the same price DirecTV charged for Premier this year.

Then it has nothing to do with programming Costs, but the price at which DTV charges for a similar packages.

AT120+ is a bad package to pick on if you are blaming lawsuits for specific price increases. There is nothing lawsuit related in AT120+ and the packages on both sides are going up only $5.

AMC is, and the AT120+ went up $10.

Look at the big picture not the headline

I am, which is why I can see a 700M loss in 2012 as one reason for price increases.

#92 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

The cost increase of RSNs dwarfs the cost increase of AMC.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#93 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

So that suggests that programming costs for all channels have risen and the increase only reflects the price necessary to offset that increase?

To oversimplify it, yes. Programming is not the only cost that DISH pays out, but it is a major portion of the bills DISH pays.

Then it has nothing to do with programming Costs, but the price at which DTV charges for a similar packages.

No ... but the price the market will bear is important. DISH sells itself as the low(er) price carrier. They need to stay at a lower price than their major competitors.

AMC is, and the AT120+ went up $10.

AMC is in AT120 and AT120 only went up $5. Don't gloss over the facts.

I am, which is why I can see a 700M loss in 2012 as one reason for price increases.

In the first three quarters of 2012 DISH is up (profitable) by $428 million. If they equal the worst fourth quarter since 2005 they will still post a profit of over $580 million for the year. Sure, they have had better years ... $608 million in 2006, $636 million in 2009, $756 million in 2007, $903 million in 2008, $985 million in 2010 ... I do not expect 4Q 2012 to be enough to beat 2011, but 2011 was not a typical year. It was the most profitable year in DISH history. 2012 will turn out fine. Another profitable year.

The big picture is more than one year.

#94 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Imagine how much they saved by not paying for Voom for all those years though ;)
It evens out pretty close to what they ended up paying Rainbow over all in the end, I agree with the TiVo point but I definitely have to disagree with the Rainbow part, imo Dish came out on top of that battle.
Got the channels back, paid a little over what they saved in the long run and also got all of that extra spectrum.

#95 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

It is incorrect to post the Rainbow/Voom settlement as a loss. Dish received valuable mobile frequency spectrum from Rainbow for that $700M. Now that is an investment that has yet to pay any dividends, but it isn't a loss anymore than a company buying 10,000 new computers for their data center is a loss.

I think your complaints are somewhat ill-founded. DirecTV announced similar price increases and also announced that their programming costs are rising higher than their price increase. Dish remains cheaper than DirecTV. Of course, all DirecTV customers are paying every month for NFL Sunday Ticket exclusivity costs...

#96 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Don't know what all the excitement is with AEP. My $150 bill with AEP and Hoppers and Joeys will go up a bit over 3% in February. That's after dropping when I converted from 722/622/211. 18 months is a long way off.

#97 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Dish should just make the RSNs an add on for any package.

#98 OFFLINE   ls1dreams

ls1dreams

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Makes me wonder if I should keep the 200 plan at the current rate rather than dropping to the 120 to save money.

#99 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Dish should just make the RSNs an add on for any package.

+1

Still didn't get any input as to why the showtime channel line up is different for Dish and Direct, while the price is the same. Isn't a "premium" line up standard?

#100 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

+1

Still didn't get any input as to why the showtime channel line up is different for Dish and Direct, while the price is the same. Isn't a "premium" line up standard?

The same could be said for Cinemax.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...