Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Buy your own Joey?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kwales

kwales

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

I am currently charged $7 per month for each Joey. I noticed you can buy a Joey on Amazon for about $100. Is it possible to buy a Joey and send Dish's Joey back and avoid the $7 a month charge?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

no that would not do anything. You are paying for the programming in that room. If you have a joey in there you will pay for it.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

That $7 is for the mirroring of your programming for each additional receiver, not actually a lease fee. You pay it on an owned or leased receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   kwales

kwales

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thought I had found a hole in the system. :)

#5 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

It's just like if you have a cellphone on a family plan. You pay the full package price on the primary phone and an addtional 5/10$ for every other phone on the account to share the minutes.
--
Same thing here. You pay full package price on the primary reciever, and then additional 6/7$ a month for every other TV to share the programming. This is also why, for instance with DTV's C31's clients, there's still the 6$ mirroring fee, because it's for the programming not the equipment.

#6 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

If you dont mind SD, I went from 8 Joeys to 2 in my order by doing this.
Saves me a ton.

I bought a RF modular that out puts on channel 4 for Joey One in Room One

and a other RF Modualtor that outputs on channel 60 for Joey Two in Room Two.

I then combine them using a VHF UHF combiner and send that Coax to 8 other TVs.

I then bought extra remotes on ebay at half price.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

If you dont mind SD, I went from 8 Joeys to 2 in my order by doing this.
Saves me a ton.

I bought a RF modular that out puts on channel 4 for Joey One in Room One

and a other RF Modualtor that outputs on channel 60 for Joey Two in Room Two.

I then combine them using a VHF UHF combiner and send that Coax to 8 other TVs.

I then bought extra remotes on ebay at half price.

The only problem with this kind of setup is you are stuck viewing the same programming on the RF modulated rooms as the room with the Joey and in SD only. Also the picture quality of an analog RF modulator is inferior to the A/V outputs of the Joey.

You may be better off with one of the earlier model DVR's that have a TV 2 output (a "dual DVR" such as the 622, 722 or 922) on an RF signal that is strong enough to drive a whole house. That is best suited for homes with older SD TV's. If your house is full of HDTV flat screens the Joey would give you true HD service to every HDTV.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

It's just like if you have a cellphone on a family plan. You pay the full package price on the primary phone and an addtional 5/10$ for every other phone on the account to share the minutes.
--
Same thing here. You pay full package price on the primary reciever, and then additional 6/7$ a month for every other TV to share the programming. This is also why, for instance with DTV's C31's clients, there's still the 6$ mirroring fee, because it's for the programming not the equipment.

Incorrect analogy.

Totally different: sat TV is BROADCAST system - one signal reach all devices simultaneously (so the "mirror" fee is just a gimmick to make more money) while cellphones transmit/receive real physical PACKETs of [digitized] voice or/and data different for each device.

spam firewall