Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie, version 0x05D4 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

One thing I noticed running 05d4 is that coming out of standby the current channel has buffer in tact. Don't remember this happening in previous versions.

My HR34 is performing well under this release, I am not experiencing delays as others have mentioned.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

When I bring up the guide, it's very laggy scrolling. The hr34 is over all laggy coming from the hr24.

If you had experienced an HR21 you wouldn't be complaining at all. This 34 that I've only had for about 3 weeks has been such an improvement for me that its quirks are easy to tolerate. Also, I haven't checked yet, if as the last poster mentioned, the buffer is there when coming out of standby that would be a big improvement with this software.

#43 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

While I don't have any major issues that most have, the one improvement I noticed is the network\internet connection between my router and the HR34 doesn't drop anymore when HR34 goes into standby.

#44 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Well the newest update, 0x5d4 rolled in a few days ago.... Locking up issue from a pause still not working. Had it. Called DTV, tech ran me thru the normal stuff, which I stated i have done at least 75+ times since owning this unit, yet i did it anyway to entertain the situation. Paused back to the future, pressed play it did not start up, Buffer recording it, yet rewind and play would yield no play results. Tried another random channel same results. Been a month plus now of this issue and increasing. Always takes a channel change then back to resume live.

Told tech new update I got was supposed to fix this, yet it did not. At the end he said the engineers are aware of this issue and to expect another update by weeks end and perhaps more next week. He claims they are not replacing Genies for lockups etc, as many are calling in with the same situations and more and sending a replacement would be a course of futility.

So there it is, a 1 year unit plus (Ive had it for 2 months) and we are beta testers. I asked about the last update and he kinda said it was to test to see if the fix would stop the issues, a hot fix if you will.... It did not and to expect more updates. I'm just about ready to flip out on DTV for this. I'm not a beta tester and reply was we are aware of the issue.... Conversation ended. I'm tired of this ****. I love the extra tuners, but how much more can a person take... Damn..

Edited by Datagg, 27 December 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   jonesron

jonesron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

My HR34 locked up twice today - totally unresponsive to the remote. I had to do a hard reset and the 1st time I did the reset the DVR starting booting up then the message on the screen indicated it needed to scan the hard disc. After several hours it reported it had found more than 16,000 errors and had only fixed 65. It never moved past this screen reporting the results. I then pulled the power plug and it booted up, but very slowing (took about 10 min. longer than normal). When it did come up everything seemed to be work, but all 80 or so season passes were lost. A couple of hours later it locked up again and rebooted normally after a hard reset. I suspect the new firmware contributed to this odd behavior.
Ron Jones

Blog: Projector Reviews

#46 OFFLINE   philiphotog

philiphotog

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like a bad hard drive. How long have you had it?

#47 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

DTV are denying HD issues and its a software issue. Everything points to a bad HD yet DTV wont agree and said there engineers are aware of it. So the saga continues..

#48 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I don't think software would report 16,000 errors that weren't there. I might be temped to call and say it won't turn on...

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,163 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

I don't think software would report 16,000 errors that weren't there. I might be temped to call and say it won't turn on...

And yet run the Hard Drive repair bits overnight perhaps?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#50 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

I for one did a surface scan 2 or 3 times..No issues found, yet freezing screen and pausing not starting back up when play pressed issues.

#51 OFFLINE   jonesron

jonesron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I agree, that's what it sounded like to me. Directv CSR said it was likely an issue with the new firmware. I haven't had any other serious issues (a few minor issues of course) with the unit since it was installed last May. By the way all recorded programs, series passes, etc. were wiped out after yesterday's unexpected disc scan. I've not had any more lockups or other issues today. I hope this is a firmware issue and will be corrected by the next release.
Ron Jones

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,163 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Ron-

I'd be inclined to run all tests you can now before you build up series links, recordings, etc.

Best of luck.

#53 OFFLINE   jonesron

jonesron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Ron-

I'd be inclined to run all tests you can now before you build up series links, recordings, etc.

Best of luck.

Anyone know how to force a disc scan on the HR34. I haven't seen anything in the user menus to do the scan. This unit is in a seasonal home where I live in the summer then just for a week, or so, around Christmas. So I'll only be here for a couple of more days. I guess I will have to resolve the issue when I return about 5 months from now.
Ron Jones

#54 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

I've posted about this before:

1. With 0x05d4, just as with previous releases, if I manually tune to a station that is not on my favorites list and then tune to another station that is, if I then hit the PREV button to go back to the "non-favorites" channel, the HR34 does not go there. Instead it goes to the top listed channel on the LAST FOUR list which, for some reason, is not the non-favorite channel I was just tuned to. Somehow the LAST FOUR list does not store and list channels that are not on my (I say my because someone will say they don't have this problem) favorites list. My HR24 and 23 don't have this bug.

2. With 0x05d4, just as with previous releases, if I try to record a short partial, say 20 seconds or less, oftentimes when I try to play that partial back I only get a black screen. I did a side-by-side test this morning with my HR34 and HR24 recording the exact same 20 second partial. The HR24 played it back fine, the HR34 didn't. Here's what I found, however. If I don't delete the HR34 partial that, at first, won't play back and just let it sit on the hard drive and "incubate" for a while, sooner or later it will play back, that is if it's not too short. Forget it for partials that are six seconds or less even though the HR34 always adds, for some infernal reason, a lot more time to the partial well after you press the STOP button. I wish STOP meant STOP -- right then and there.

#55 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

From my readings on this site I thought if I reset my HR34 by pressing the red button only once, the GUIDE listings for the future wouldn't disappear. Yesterday they did. Sometimes when I press the red button, the future GUIDE listings don't disappear. Is there a way to reboot my HR34 without losing the GUIDE? Thanks!

#56 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

If I watch a recorded video, when when it gets to the end, I get: YES, DELETE on the top and NO, DON'T DELETE on the bottom. The NO, DON'T DELETE is the one highlighted. That is correct. However if I highlight a particular video I have saved that's on a LIST and press DELETE, the same dialog will appear but YES, DELETE is highlighted. In spite of the fact that you originally selected DELETE, I say that NO, DON'T DELETE should be the choice highlighted so you have to take an extra step to delete a particular video instead of making a bone-headed mistake because, for some reason, your mind is in Disneyland.

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

From my readings on this site I thought if I reset my HR34 by pressing the red button only once, the GUIDE listings for the future wouldn't disappear. Yesterday they did. Sometimes when I press the red button, the future GUIDE listings don't disappear. Is there a way to reboot my HR34 without losing the GUIDE? Thanks!

You should only be using the red button to reboot when the unit is completely locked up. Any other time you want to reboot you should use a Menu reboot. You'll find that in Menu > info and settings > reset > reboot receiver.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,163 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

If I watch a recorded video, when when it gets to the end, I get: YES, DELETE on the top and NO, DON'T DELETE on the bottom. The NO, DON'T DELETE is the one highlighted. That is correct. However if I highlight a particular video I have saved that's on a LIST and press DELETE, the same dialog will appear but YES, DELETE is highlighted. In spite of the fact that you originally selected DELETE, I say that NO, DON'T DELETE should be the choice highlighted so you have to take an extra step to delete a particular video instead of making a bone-headed mistake because, for some reason, your mind is in Disneyland.

I believe the way it is now is the correct way; at least it's what I prefer. There is an extra step, the "Yes, Delete". The other way is two extra steps.

#59 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,163 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

As Runner pointed out, the Menu reset is "a good thing." To flush the guide on purpose, you'd do two Menu resets within 30 minutes. I believe sometimes the Guides are flushed by DIRECTV® on purpose.

#60 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

I believe the way it is now is the correct way; at least it's what I prefer. There is an extra step, the "Yes, Delete". The other way is two extra steps.

Laxguy I don't get your point. With my scheme the only extra step would be to use an arrow key to move the highlight from DON'T DELETE to DELETE. One step.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...