Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie, version 0x05D4 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Laxguy I don't get your point. With my scheme the only extra step would be to use an arrow key to move the highlight from DON'T DELETE to DELETE. One step.

Then you hit Select; two steps. The other way you hit Select only, no?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Then you hit Select; two steps. The other way you hit Select only, no?

Yes. but I said EXTRA step. Moving the highlight from DON'T DELETE to DELETE is only one step, the extra step.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 30 December 2012 - 07:47 AM.
Add

#63 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

All that delete complexity can be solved easily with a deleted items folder.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#64 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yes. but I said EXTRA step. Moving the highlight from DON'T DELETE to DELETE is only one step, the extra step.

Yes, it all depends on one's view/starting point. I see the first confirm as an extra step; the having to arrow to another choice is a second extra step.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#65 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Was watching TV live yesterday morning and paused it @ 9:04. Came back to "live" TV early evening - still had the Frozen screen paused @ 9:04, but buffer was in the 5pm range. Was unable to play any of the buffer until I got it up to the time when I switched to live TV (around 6:15). Tried rewinding to beginning of buffer, but nothing played - screen would show whatever screenshot was last being displayed when rewinding.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#66 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Congratulations DTV... another POS software release! :nono2:

One step forward (HR34/C31 whole home and Youtube working) and 2 steps backward (freezes? crashes? really?!!!).

Latest freeze here crashed the HR34. Assuming these POS report home... may DTV receive so many that they are overloaded.

While I welcome features finally working I don't think it's a move in the right direction when the most basic things FAIL.

:mad::mad::mad:

#67 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I hate to post this and jinx myself, but this seems like the most stable release in quite some time. My PIP and swap are working great, with no lockups so far.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#68 OFFLINE   narcolept

narcolept

Godfather

• Registered
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

So far I've not seen any improvement with 0x05d4.

3. Worst of all for me and my particular HR34, the FFWD > PLAY > AUTO-REWIND function still does not work properly. At first if did. In fact, it rewound way too far. Then it started to AUTO-BACKSPACE about the right amount of time. Now, most of the time anyway for me and my HR34, it hardly AUTO-REWINDS at all. Certainly not nearly enough to compensate for my cat-like reflexes.

4. Sometimes when I go into FFWD, especially speed setting 4, the picture just freezes.

same

#69 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

The biggest what I call "crime" DTV commits against its customers: not having a method to recover deleted files. How about for this for starters: you delete a file, then the next message on the screen says "DO YOU WANT TO RECOVER THE DELETED FILE. YES/NO/"

#70 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

The biggest what I call "crime" DTV commits against its customers: not having a method to recover deleted files. How about for this for starters: you delete a file, then the next message on the screen says "DO YOU WANT TO RECOVER THE DELETED FILE. YES/NO/"

If not a double prompt, a "Deleted Items" folder would be nice.

My old TiVo has such a folder, where recently-deleted programs would stay for several hours. Very handy on several occasions.

Edited by TMan, 31 December 2012 - 09:53 AM.

October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#71 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

After all my years with Dish, they finally added a deleted recordings folder to the Hopper, keeps them for 2 days.

#72 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

The biggest crime to me is that after a year plus they still cant get the genie to work as intended. Close second is the loss of timers. My god let the remote hold the info or even better let us save them for easy re-download from your website. Last but not least hire a new set of firmware designers, a group that deals with customer support that actually listens to requests and get more people that speak English naturally and not some oxy moron who only replies with the emotion only a teleprompter can deliver.

Happy New Year

#73 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

The biggest crime to me is that after a year plus they still cant get the genie to work as intended. Close second is the loss of timers. My god let the remote hold the info or even better let us save them for easy re-download from your website. Last but not least hire a new set of firmware designers, a group that deals with customer support that actually listens to requests and get more people that speak English naturally and not some oxy moron who only replies with the emotion only a teleprompter can deliver.

Happy New Year

I agree that is very disappointing. Perhaps they don't have the right people (skill set wise) working on it. There must be some programmer out there that could resolve some of the issues people continue to put up with.

#74 OFFLINE   parshooter75

parshooter75

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I am new as a DTV subsciber, but have been in the A/V industry for about 7 years as an AMX/Crestron programmer. DTV is my favorite for integration due to the availability of the SHEF protocol, however I am not happy now that I have the HR34 and 3 clients installed in my home as of 10 days ago. I frequently have to reboot the clients due to the "grey" screen issue, inability to reliably stream a movie, and not able at this time to control the C31 via SHEF commands. Much of this can be overlooked but the grey screen issue is pretty serious from an integration point of view. I see that this is a known issue, is there a fix in the works? Will the C31's ever be able to process SHEF commands?

#75 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I agree that is very disappointing. Perhaps they don't have the right people (skill set wise) working on it. There must be some programmer out there that could resolve some of the issues people continue to put up with.

That would require management to have half a brain.

#76 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Congratulations DTV... another POS software release! :nono2:

One step forward (HR34/C31 whole home and Youtube working) and 2 steps backward (freezes? crashes? really?!!!).

Latest freeze here crashed the HR34. Assuming these POS report home... may DTV receive so many that they are overloaded.

While I welcome features finally working I don't think it's a move in the right direction when the most basic things FAIL.

:mad::mad::mad:

What does POS mean? Thanks.

#77 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

Piece Of Shi...

FWIW, I find this software an improvement over 0x05D3. :)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#78 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

FWIW, I find this software an improvement over 0x05D3. :)

Do you have a C31?

The HR34 itself may very well have improved. The C31 is worse - and it wasn't good before.

The C31/RVU stuff is yet another far premature "release". Reminds me of an ancient adage of poor management/"engineering"... If it compiles... ship it!. Or in this case, may be more [B]If it doesn't burst into flames...

#79 OFFLINE   utmba95

utmba95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Playing HD recording of the local news and the screen saver comes on every few minutes even though the audio is still playing. Hitting play brings back the video. There should be an option to kill the screen saver anyway!

#80 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Playing HD recording of the local news and the screen saver comes on every few minutes even though the audio is still playing. Hitting play brings back the video. There should be an option to kill the screen saver anyway!

The screen saver should take more button pushes than the to do list to activate. It should be off by default. Only if you have some old antiquated display from 1960 should you need a screen saver. DUMB

No C31 every update is a downgrade with more things that do not work properly.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...