Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie, version 0x05D4 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Just lost the Guide background image and I am left with a solid white background.

Why can't the Guide default background color be a shade of blue instead of bright white?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

I hate to post this and jinx myself, but this seems like the most stable release in quite some time. My PIP and swap are working great, with no lockups so far.

It took a few days, but back to having slowdowns while something is recording. Press "Exit" to stop a recording and 10+ seconds of a black screen. Press "List" and the back ground appears right away, but the actual recordings list takes several seconds to populate. Also, takes several seconds to respond to any commands from the remote. Ugg!
HR34-700, HR22-100

#83 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

It's time to face it.. We are over charged Beta Testers.

#84 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

[quote name='Carl Spock']Piece Of Shi..

Piece of S#*T! Excellent! Took the words right out of my mouth. So far in its short lifetime, 0x05d4 has frozen up on me five times. Fortunately haven't had to reboot yet.

#85 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,232 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Rebooting, when done on one's own time schedule, is "a good thing™" from time to time.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#86 ONLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

For us the HR34 has been a real work horse. We have had the box for about six months and it had a few minor quirks right out of the box with original s/w whatever that was, can't remember off hand. After a couple of s/w updates performance has been very stable.

The only "serious" issue we've had was a few weeks ago when a few of us experienced the box locking up during a reboot.
The "double reboot" fixed that and it's been smooth sailing since.

Some of the problems being reported here seems to be a box that needs to be replaced, just saying.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#87 OFFLINE   philiphotog

philiphotog

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

For me it's not the hr34 that's the problem. It's the clients with black screens every 3-4 days. That in turn means the 34 needs rebooting.

#88 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Rebooting, when done on one's own time schedule, is "a good thing™" from time to time.

A sad reality in the 21st century after more than 6 decades of evolution.

It doesn't have to be that way. It only is that way because producers and consumers (majority) alike are willing to accept software that is of poor quality.

There are lots of cases where this is not acceptable. It's quite common in large-scale enterprise environments to have systems running for years without a reboot (and then only due to upgrade or hardware replacement/maintenance). I've seen many a Solaris (UNIX operating system) system do that. And of course all "life-critical" (avionics, boats, autos, medical devices, etc) are also like that.

Consumers should demand more.

#89 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Some of the problems being reported here seems to be a box that needs to be replaced, just saying.

J C

I called went through "Tech" steps with a 'tech" that I already did30 times plus already and it locked up on pauses. After about 45 minutes he said they are aware of the issue and to expect new updates rolling out to address this issue. I said it was a bad HD, he says its bad software and they wont replace it until they exhausted there firmware updates. New one didn't help, asked will the next one.... he said unknown yet we are aware of the issue and no replacements are given out at this time.

There something else Ill tell you that.

#90 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

It's quite common in large-scale enterprise environments to have systems running for years without a reboot (and then only due to upgrade or hardware replacement/maintenance). I've seen many a Solaris (UNIX operating system) system do that. And of course all "life-critical" (avionics, boats, autos, medical devices, etc) are also like that.

Consumers should demand more.

Yes, they should. And then they should be willing to pay $1,000 (at least) for a DVR.

I sincerely doubt that in any of your "life-critical" applications the hardware is free, or at the most $450.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#91 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

In total, we've had two hard lockups on our HR34 since getting it back in August. It's actually been a pretty solid system and the 5 tuners makes it more than worth it.

I've had some guide slowdowns here and there, but the latest software release seems to have resolved it. It's working VERY well for me.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#92 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

For the first time this morning I was unable to play back 3 consecutively recorded programs. They were 3 half hour series all on the same channel. Each was aired one right after the other. The first program played to the 12 minute mark and froze. Trying to get past that point just got me to the "do you want to keep or delete" message. With the other 2 programs that aired after and were theoretically recorded when I hit play they froze immediately and gave me the keep or delete message.

I restarted the receiver but got the same results so I just deleted all 3. Never had this happen with any of my previous receivers. I hope this thing doesn't make me miss my horrible HR 21. It was slow as hell but never did this.

#93 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

For the first time this morning I was unable to play back 3 consecutively recorded programs. They were 3 half hour series all on the same channel. Each was aired one right after the other. The first program played to the 12 minute mark and froze. Trying to get past that point just got me to the "do you want to keep or delete" message. With the other 2 programs that aired after and were theoretically recorded when I hit play they froze immediately and gave me the keep or delete message.

I restarted the receiver but got the same results so I just deleted all 3. Never had this happen with any of my previous receivers. I hope this thing doesn't make me miss my horrible HR 21. It was slow as hell but never did this.

Yikes the HR21.... oh the horror. yeap my unit has done that and more... but even with all that i could never look back to HR21 days....... Firmware updates are our friend if they can get it right next time, or maybe the next.... or next....

#94 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

For me this was the first major incident. I've only had the device for about a month. The other glitches were minor and tolerable but this one is not. If it's a one time thing so be it, but if it occurs with any frequency I'll be done. I'm willing to give this device a year for minor stuff but not being reliable when it comes to recording and playback will be unacceptable. I'm just glad I didn't get it when first released, from what I've read it's pretty much been a beta test until recently. I'm hoping that this is their best and all ( or most ) issues will be fixed, at least the major ones like this. If not I'll have to see what other options provide.

#95 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

For me this was the first major incident. I've only had the device for about a month. The other glitches were minor and tolerable but this one is not. If it's a one time thing so be it, but if it occurs with any frequency I'll be done. I'm willing to give this device a year for minor stuff but not being reliable when it comes to recording and playback will be unacceptable. I'm just glad I didn't get it when first released, from what I've read it's pretty much been a beta test until recently. I'm hoping that this is their best and all ( or most ) issues will be fixed, at least the major ones like this. If not I'll have to see what other options provide.

IMO we still are beta testers...... The ones like me who have issues, cant pause and start back up, guide freezing, lock ups.... etc after 2 months is unacceptable. DTV offers no help other than we are aware of the issues and look for many new updates. So we are Beta testers.... Most who i know who got the unit had issues after the first month... Like I, they began around the 2month area. My bro who said a month ago, "i have no issues" is getting the same as me now.... Frustration I cant even explain....

#96 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,925 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

And others, don't have those issues. That makes it more difficult to fix. It's probably the minority with issues, not the majority.

#97 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

And others, don't have those issues. That makes it more difficult to fix. It's probably the minority with issues, not the majority.

Perhaps in this group, but im sure many dont even know about the forums... or express there concerns and complaints other than to DTV. Even when my unit was installed the tech said he himself has issues with this unit and others he has done...he tried to get me to stick with the HR24.... He left with a good luck.

#98 OFFLINE   keithtd

keithtd

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 295 posts
  • LocationMid Atlantic

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

This happens irregulary and lasts approx. 1 min but tonight was longer before the system processed the commands.

Last RBR was yesterday.

Have had the HR34 for about a month supplementing my HR24 which does not have this response issue.

#99 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,925 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Perhaps in this group, but im sure many dont even know about the forums... or express there concerns and complaints other than to DTV. Even when my unit was installed the tech said he himself has issues with this unit and others he has done...he tried to get me to stick with the HR24.... He left with a good luck.

And there are a very large number of customers that don't have issues and don't say anything. An installer has never seen mine, so I don't have a sense for what they see around here, but I don't have much faith in their knowledge based on experience.

#100 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

This happens irregularly and lasts approx. 1 min but tonight was longer before the system processed the commands.

Last RBR was yesterday.

Have had the HR34 for about a month supplementing my HR24 which does not have this response issue.

This happen regularly with me at the top of the hour during prime time when Genie is ending and beginning multiple recordings.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...