Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie, version 0x05D4 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

The WD's are still the ones recommended, like their AV drive put into an enclosure. More hardcore types use their Red drives in a RAID enclosure. It's been tested with a 9TB array by another forum member.

Both WD's and Seagates work just fine and both recommended. My 9TB array was using Seagates and had no problem. I have bigger drives on all my HRs and only one of them uses WD.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

This happen regularly with me at the top of the hour during prime time when Genie is ending and beginning multiple recordings.

Like clockwork - this evening the Genie ignore everything mode happen for a few minutes at 10 PM EST as she started just two Recordings - Castle & Deception.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#123 OFFLINE   derek21023

derek21023

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hello all,

I have been coming on here the past couple of months to see what issues everyone is having. I signed up with DirecTV in October and got the HR34 and one Genie client. I wasn't able to delete any of my recordings from my Genie mini client and I would also get a blank black screen when I sometimes turned on my Genie mini client. This would require a reboot on the HR34 to fix. After speaking with DirecTV and exploring more forums, here is what I did to fix my issues.

1.) I called DTV and told them my Whole Home DVR said Not Authorized. They activated this for me and within minutes my Whole Home DVR said Authorized in the HR34 Settings. Once activated, this displays a Share Playlist in the Whole Home Settings. There will be something that says Deletion from: ALL ROOMS. This solved my issue of not being able to delete programs from my Genie mini client.

2.) I turned on Genie Recommends. I have yet to see the blank black screen on my Genie client since I have done this. To turn this on, you could go to Menu, TV Shows, go down to Genie Recommends and turn it on. This does not take up any space on your DVR hard drive, it just recommends shows you may like. It has been a solid week and I haven't seen the black screen yet. I used to get it every 2-3 days.

I hope this helps everyone. I will also report back if I the black screen comes back on my Genie mini client.

#124 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

2.) I turned on Genie Recommends. I have yet to see the blank black screen on my Genie client since I have done this. To turn this on, you could go to Menu, TV Shows, go down to Genie Recommends and turn it on. This does not take up any space on your DVR hard drive, it just recommends shows you may like. It has been a solid week and I haven't seen the black screen yet. I used to get it every 2-3 days.

I don't have any C31 "Genie Clients" in my setup, but I can say that my HR34 seemed a lot slower to respond to anything when I had "Genie Recommends" enabled. I've disabled that and for the most part it's been pretty good.

There's so many variables in the equation it's hard to figure out what is really the cause of the problems with this unit. I'm glad I don't have the issues some on this forum claim to have, otherwise I'd be livid.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#125 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Update dropped in the beginning of the weekend. Running fine. 0x5fd...

Edited by Ed Campbell, 16 January 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#126 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

anyone else have to reset their genie every few weeks due to problems? Is this common?

#127 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Seems like when I get a new update, I have to do a reset not long after that. Mainly to clear up slow response or a black screen for 10+ seconds when exiting a recording. Since its similar to a pc, I'm sure a reboot every so often isn't a bad idea.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#128 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

Well I thought the update did the trick.... Pause freezing issues stopped, etc...Yet the last few days, recordings would lock up, pixelate, etc. today the wife lost her soap, froze right up, system locked...Man i heard lots of yelling today on other recorded programs also. Did a hard reset, nothing.. Been doing those about every day or so.... System totally non responsive.

Called DTV right away, bitched some as this is the 5th or 6th time I HAVE CALLED in the 2-3 months of owning this box....They wanted me to turn me over to tech, No WAY i said, been there done that..... if that is what is going to happen, cancel my account now, i dont care about cancellation fees. Well, at the end of that rant, they are just going to send me a new box by Friday.

Still nothing working on system, guide has disappeared, stations lock up, system just locks up.... not happy right now, especially from all these issues from day one with the HR34. Im one to switch ships when things get to out of hand, i hope it dont get to that point, but you never know.

#129 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

anyone else have to reset their genie every few weeks due to problems? Is this common?

Not just the Genie (nee HR34) but the HR24 too.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#130 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

This has happened to me before with previous software versions on my HR34. I watch a video for a while, say 30 minutes. Then I switch to a tuner channel. Then I press PREV to go back to the video -- at the 30 minute mark. What happens now most of the time is that the HR34 doesn't even go back to the video, it goes back to the first channel on my LAST FOUR list. Then when I go to the LIST to select the video I actually wanted and press SELECT on the highlighted RESUME tab, the video doesn't resume where I left off, i.e. at the 30 minute mark, it "resumes" at the very beginning of the video, i.e. time equals zero.

I've noticed this "feature" as well - numerous times.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#131 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

So far I've not seen any improvement with 0x05d4.

3. Worst of all for me and my particular HR34, the FFWD > PLAY > AUTO-REWIND function still does not work properly. At first if did. In fact, it rewound way too far. Then it started to AUTO-BACKSPACE about the right amount of time. Now, most of the time anyway for me and my HR34, it hardly AUTO-REWINDS at all. Certainly not nearly enough to compensate for my cat-like reflexes.

4. Sometimes when I go into FFWD, especially speed setting 4, the picture just freezes.

Same issue here. I'm guessing this is a widespread issue, not just limited to a small grouping? It's just frustrating that my dvr speed/auto rewind work at the same rate on a Wholehome H20 and HR20, but not on the physical HR34.

I know back on the old SD Tivo DTV units there were codes that setup your FFWD and RWND thresholds. Are there not any backend codes to adjust the new DTV unit DVR ? Haven't seen any threads tied to this, figured i'd see what the deal is with the all knowing group :D
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#132 OFFLINE   Kulmar

Kulmar

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

In the last build or two I've noticed the screen saver seems to be appearing spontaneously. I have 2 different receiver models and it's occurring on both. Power saver settings are disabled.

#133 OFFLINE   JDookie

JDookie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

I just wanted to add to this discussion after ordering new service at my home, complete with the new Genie receiver and two additional clients. The reason for me posting is because after subscribing to DirecTV in various capacities for nearly two decades, I have NEVER experienced more issues than with this new setup. The main "Genie" receiver isn't all that bad, but the clients are complete junk. We pretty much had to reboot the clients on a daily basis due to system lock-ups, hang-ups, slow response times, etc. They would constantly lose communication with the Genie, and the list goes on and on. DirecTV sent a tech out several times to check the system, and each time I was just told to "hang in there" because the system was still in its infancy, and that they couldn't find anything wrong, other than software/firmware glitches.......I don't know about you guys, but unless DirecTV starts giving me free tv, I don't think I want to be a guinea pig for their new and untested system.

Now here's the best part.

After having enough with this junk system, I called customer service and told them what was going on. They looked at my account history and saw where I called tech support on a nearly weekly basis, and also that a tech was sent out several times for the same issues. I called because I had enough, and I decided that I wanted to go back to a regular HD DVR receiver in each room just like I have always had...........and then they dropped the bomb. The customer service agent proceeds to tell me that I am past the 30 day trial period and that I will have to come out of pocket just over $800 to replace the Genie and the two clients with new HD DVR's..........EXCUSE ME??? You mean to tell me that I have to pay more money to get rid of DirecTV's non working hardware??? Yeah, I don't think so.

So I ask for a supervisor, and after being put on hold for about 20 minutes I finally get the nicest woman I have ever probably spoken with on the phone. I explain the situation to her, and explain what the previous agent told me, and she very calmly tells me, "I will do whatever it takes to make you happy." You guys have no clue what a relief it was to hear those words. So since it were the clients I was having all the issues with, and since I really wanted to keep the 5 tuners of the Genie, I asked for two HD DVR's to replace the two clients, and that's exactly what she gave me. The best part was, there was absolutely no charge. Now THIS is customer service.

In the end, I am now VERY happy with my Genie + 2 HD DVR solution (9 tuners all together), and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't take a Genie/client solution if they paid me to.

Edited by JDookie, 24 February 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#134 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

I just wanted to add to this discussion after ordering new service at my home, complete with the new Genie receiver and two additional clients. The reason for me posting is because after subscribing to DirecTV in various capacities for nearly two decades, I have NEVER experienced more issues than with this new setup. The main "Genie" receiver isn't all that bad, but the clients are complete junk. We pretty much had to reboot the clients on a daily basis due to system lock-ups, hang-ups, slow response times, etc. They would constantly lose communication with the Genie, and the list goes on and on. DirecTV sent a tech out several times to check the system, and each time I was just told to "hang in there" because the system was still in its infancy, and that they couldn't find anything wrong, other than software/firmware glitches.......I don't know about you guys, but unless DirecTV starts giving me free tv, I don't think I want to be a guinea pig for their new and untested system.

Now here's the best part.

After having enough with this junk system, I called customer service and told them what was going on. They looked at my account history and saw where I called tech support on a nearly weekly basis, and also that a tech was sent out several times for the same issues. I called because I had enough, and I decided that I wanted to go back to a regular HD DVR receiver in each room just like I have always had...........and then they dropped the bomb. The customer service agent proceeds to tell me that I am past the 30 day trial period and that I will have to come out of pocket just over $800 to replace the Genie and the two clients with new HD DVR's..........EXCUSE ME??? You mean to tell me that I have to pay more money to get rid of DirecTV's non working hardware??? Yeah, I don't think so.

So I ask for a supervisor, and after being put on hold for about 20 minutes I finally get the nicest woman I have ever probably spoken with on the phone. I explain the situation to her, and explain what the previous agent told me, and she very calmly tells me, "I will do whatever it takes to make you happy." You guys have no clue what a relief it was to hear those words. So since it were the clients I was having all the issues with, and since I really wanted to keep the 5 tuners of the Genie, I asked for two HD DVR's to replace the two clients, and that's exactly what she gave me. The best part was, there was absolutely no charge. Now THIS is customer service.

In the end, I am now VERY happy with my Genie + 2 HD DVR solution (9 tuners all together), and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't take a Genie/client solution if they paid me to.

Glad it all worked out. DTV needs continuity across the board. No customer should feel its a crap shoot every call. I know I had major issues and each person took the horns a different way. It is NOT right and as customers we deserve better than than what they deliver to us. Also on that note, we ALSO deserve to be treated with the same or even more respect and dignity on all levels just as new customers are. We are treated like third world citizens and that is not right at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...