Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there a way for me to split my HD signal?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   josh22

josh22

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

I am in a situation where I am looking to add a projector to a recently finished home theater. The room has no tv service right now and I would like to know how I can use my current service to supply HD television to the projector. Right now I have one VIP722 supplying service to 2 TVs. The signal will need to come to a Yamaha AVR. Is it possible or do I have to pay for another receiver?

Additional info:

OTA HD is not an option.

Yamaha receiver is HDMI capable (it's the v673).

The HT is located in the basement directly under the room where the 722 is located but the AVR and 722 are not on the same walls. If I had to run cable from the 722 to AVR it would probably be 40 to 50'.

I do not need to watch something different in the HT and the 722 location (mirroring is fine).

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

If you want HD to the tv, a coax run will not work. Most people would run component to one HD tv and HDMI to the other. There are HDMI splitters you can buy as well. Both of these setups will only allow the same program to be viewed on the two HD tv's. If you want independent programs at the same time, you would need to add another HD receiver to you Dish setup.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I do not need to watch something different in the HT and the 722 location (mirroring is fine).

use HDMI splitter

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Could always go my route and use a component HD signal over cat5 with baluns. That's easy to run and cheap.

There's also been a lot of good work in HDMI over Cat6 extenders. http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

josh22, What outputs are you using to service the other 2 tvs currently? Is your new HT going to be the primary viewing location? If you are using HDMI upstairs, you'll want to get an HDMI splitter and/or repeater, provided you have a way to get the cabling to the your Yamaha downstairs.

#6 OFFLINE   josh22

josh22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

josh22, What outputs are you using to service the other 2 tvs currently? Is your new HT going to be the primary viewing location? If you are using HDMI upstairs, you'll want to get an HDMI splitter and/or repeater, provided you have a way to get the cabling to the your Yamaha downstairs.

I'm using HDMI right now. HT will not be primary viewing but will just be used occasionally. I can probably figure out a way to get an HDMI cable run to my AVR downstairs but it will be a pain. Too bad I didn't think about this BEFORE I hung the sheet rock 2 weeks ago. :mad:

#7 OFFLINE   josh22

josh22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Could always go my route and use a component HD signal over cat5 with baluns. That's easy to run and cheap.

There's also been a lot of good work in HDMI over Cat6 extenders.

That's intriguing. It would be easier and (and slightly) cheaper to pull two cat6 wires. Hmmmmm.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

There is WiFi HDMI extender/splitter - we discuss it recently here.

#9 OFFLINE   lsokoloff

lsokoloff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

There is WiFi HDMI extender/splitter - we discuss it recently here.

I tried to search for that post about the WIFI extender but nothing came up.  Got a link to that thread?

Thanks.

Len

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,516 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

I tried to search for that post about the WIFI extender but nothing came up.

I don't think a Wi-fi extender exists (outside of a Slingbox or Vulkano). I think the term Wi-fi was probably inappropriate.

There are dedicated wireless (point-to-point) solutions available.

http://www.monoprice...mat=2&p_id=8087

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B0081TYMCE

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

a balun can run on either cat5, cat6  or coax, depending on what balun u get. I've installed them before and some of them work well, some of them, not so well.  I myself believe in direct connection, so both my 722 and 922  are connected to each location via HDMI and component.  My 922 is in the basement, connected locally via HDMI, its also connected to my MBR via component (3 coax's an 1 cat5 for audio), while my 722 in the MBR is connected locally via component, and to the basement via a 50ft HDMI.  I managed to fish the wiring straight down a chase from the attic to the mechanical room.  So its up to u, use a balun for either component video or HDMI, or just run an HDMI down to the Projector and connect your TV upstairs via component (save's u from buying an HDMI splitter).  I would probably make the HDMI connection to the projector, and component to the TV.  Component does 1080i, as does HDMI but HDMI will also do 1080p but the only 1080p content is Video Ondemand.  You really want 1080p on a projector but since theres so lil of it available on Satv, its kind of a judgement call for yourself.  Now as for a Blu-ray, you would definitly want to connect that via HDMI.  You've gotta get an HDMI up to your projector anyway, from the AVR.  So u really only need to get a connection from your DVR to the AVR.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#12 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

There's also been a lot of good work in HDMI over Cat6 extenders. http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

This worked for me I hooked my living room TV to component and used the monoprice HDMI extender to bedroom TV over Cat6 stp cables 30ft. length...price with shipping was $44.87 Im getting 1080i picture no problems........ 

spam firewall