Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My LNB is missing a part

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

The other day I noticed I am loosing some HD channels. I went outside to look at the dish and noticed what looks like a cover missing on the lnb. I guess I need to replace the lnb assembly. My present lnb is the old 4 wire model. I was looking online and there is a single wire multiswitch model that comes with a 4 way splitter and power supply. I was wondering if it will work with my old RCA sat receiver which is in the bedroom? Also wondering what channels goes to the missing cover receiver on the lnb?

lnb.JPG

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

The SWiM lnb will not work with the old RCA receiver.

I can't help on what channels come from there. You should be able to get another standard replacement and avoid the SWiM all together.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,925 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

And missing cover in the photo is for your main 99, 101, 103 feed horns which provide from around 90-100% of the channels depending on your subscribed package.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

- as soon water, snow and ice will be inside feedhorn, your LNBF would start degrade
- for now (watch signal level screens - I would make pictures for future monitoring) you will see no problem with any of your channels
- get gct's thread - there is Excel table of ALL channels/sats/tpns

#5 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

The other day I noticed I am loosing some HD channels. I went outside to look at the dish and noticed what looks like a cover missing on the lnb. I guess I need to replace the lnb assembly. My present lnb is the old 4 wire model. I was looking online and there is a single wire multiswitch model that comes with a 4 way splitter and power supply. I was wondering if it will work with my old RCA sat receiver which is in the bedroom? Also wondering what channels goes to the missing cover receiver on the lnb?

[ATTACH]30778[/ATTACH]

Did your cat shoot it off? :eek2:
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

It should be pretty big cat to remove the cap (have you try do that by yourself ?) - a mountain lion or a cougar.

#7 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

It should be pretty big cat to remove the cap (have you try do that by yourself ?) - a mountain lion or a cougar.

I was talking about Sniper Cat in the OP's avatar.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#8 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

He might have shot it off but I'm thinking the sun dry rotted the plastic cap. It gets hot here in Nevada in the summer. But if any thing goes wrong here I blame it on my cat.:lol:

#9 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Oh by the way thanks for the info on the single wire lnb!

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

Anyway, I would put some plastic or rubber over it to prevent moisture coming in.

#11 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Do you have the DTV protection plan? If you do, call and tell them you keep get searching for signal and have them come out. They will change the LNB.

If you do not have the protection plan, you can still call them and for $50.00 they will still fix things up, OR you can go to solidsignal.com and order a new LNb and replace it yourself, by the time it is over with, you will have spent about the same $$.

#12 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

After you make sure there is no water, debris, or a wasp nest in the feedhorn with the missing cap you can glue a plastic cap on it, or maybe find one that will fit snugly on. You might need dish allignment, since mere loss of the cover shouldn't affect the signal, with the above caveats.

#13 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Do you have the DTV protection plan? If you do, call and tell them you keep get searching for signal and have them come out. They will change the LNB.

If you do not have the protection plan, you can still call them and for $50.00 they will still fix things up, OR you can go to solidsignal.com and order a new LNb and replace it yourself, by the time it is over with, you will have spent about the same $$.

+1

There is a good possibility that if you call for a service call that DTV will replace the dish for a new Slimline 5 or Slimline 3 depending on which one you need. The cost is covered in the service call fee.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#14 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

OK I got a new 4 connection lnb from eBay for $25.00. I got all my HD stations back. Also my sat signal strength improved. I was going to take the covers off the other 2 feed horns on the old lnb for spares but they were cracked and dry rotted.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Could I have it for technical dissection - always want get into DTV LNBF block, but never had bad one.

#16 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Shoot I already threw it away. Sorry.

spam firewall