Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Obsolete receivers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I was going to activate service for the holidays for relatives who are visiting. I was just going to get the Welcome Pack so there would be something to watch for them as well as local channels. However when I went to activate our old 508 receiver they told me it was $14.99 and they collected that via credit card.

Then I gave the receiver number and they said it would be another $6.00 and I asked why? They said for DVR service which I didn't realize was charged for a 508 receiver (it wasn't in the past). So then they checked with their supervisor they said the 508 could not be activated because it was obsolete.

I then said we had a 625 DVR receiver and gave them the receiver ID/Smart Card and they told me it was obsolete as well...I originally didn't want to activate the 625 receiver knowing it had an additional $6 DVR fee. Why is this receiver obsolete? They still have it on their website?

By this time I was disgusted with them and taking so long, I just said forget the whole thing and refund my $14.99 back on my card. The agent said it would be however it was not until I contacted them again!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Not sure why you were told the 625 is obsolete. It definitely isn't. The only reason I can think of that you wouldn't be able to use it is if your account is tagged for HD equipment only, or your dish is an eastern arc dish.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

perhaps, that 625's smard card is obsolete ? not G3 ? then they should charge you for new card, not reject 625 activation

#4 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

You might want to read through this discussion:

Got "The Letter"; Fees Added to 501/508
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=195831

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

Not sure why you were told the 625 is obsolete. It definitely isn't. The only reason I can think of that you wouldn't be able to use it is if your account is tagged for HD equipment only, or your dish is an eastern arc dish.

+1 - HD only account
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

perhaps, that 625's smard card is obsolete ? not G3 ? then they should charge you for new card, not reject 625 activation

It has a G3 smart card and works fine on channel 100 plugged in. I have no clue why they tell me it's obsolete.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,586 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

It has a G3 smart card and works fine on channel 100 plugged in. I have no clue why they tell me it's obsolete.

Did they want to set you up with eastern arc? The eastern arc requires the newer ViP receivers even for SD programming.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Did they want to set you up with eastern arc? The eastern arc requires the newer ViP receivers even for SD programming.

No. Nothing was mentioned about that or HD.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I would play CSR roulette then ... perhaps that guy/gal is not that knowledgeable one

#10 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Update: I finally figured out that the receiver was still attached to my dad's account. That was the problem apparently. Once I had it released from his account where it used to be active, I was able to activate it on mine.

I finally realized something was wrong, when the CSR said the receiver had a balance of over $100 on the account, I was like what balance? Then realized it was his Dish bill...

Everything worked out and they activated it finally. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...