Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did 'Wheel of Fortune' cheat contestant?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

From Fox News:

Presented with the puzzle "SE_EN S_ _NS A-S_ _MM _NG" under the clue "Living Things," the contestant, Renee, correctly guessed "Seven Swans A-Swimming." Only problem? She pronounced it "Seven Swans A-Swimmin'," causing host Pat Sajak to tell her she was incorrect and move on to the next contestant.

Amy, the next contestant, then chooses a V and a W before she's forced to solve the puzzle because all of the remaining letters are vowels. She offers the same response as Renee did seconds earler, but makes sure to emphasize the "G" sound.
After congratulating Amy, Sajak asks, "Do you know what happened there?"
"No, I thought she did it," a baffled Amy responds.
Sajak goes on to explain to Amy (and a pursed-lipped Renee) that Renee incorrectly used "the vernacular" in her guess.

EpClUuumYy8

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Wheel of Fortune has always required exact pronunciations. This isn't new, and has happened before.

So I guess my answer is "no".

#3 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

IS funny how she really enunciated every letter than screwed it up at the end.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

While I have never seen this happen on the show myself, I can see how the judges would have a problem with this as she clearly dropped the 'G'.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I know a lot of people , including myself, that say swimmin.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I know a lot of people , including myself, that say swimmin.

Just because lots of people say it incorrectly, doesn't make it right. It's a game show centered on words, and proper pronunciation is paramount.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Just because lots of people say it incorrectly, doesn't make it right. It's a game show centered on words, and proper pronunciation is paramount.

And that's not the lyric, nor how it's sung ...

On the 7th day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
7 swans a-swimming,

Also, there would one less space for a letter in the puzzle board if that were the answer they wanted.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

And that's not the lyric, nor how it's sung ...

Also, there would one less space for a letter in the puzzle board if that were the answer they wanted.

Exactly.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

While I have never seen this happen on the show myself, I can see how the judges would have a problem with this as she clearly dropped the 'G'.

I would have an easier time supporting the decision if the G was not visible on the board. But the rules of the game seem clear and contestants should know to follow the rules to win.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Time for me to pop in and say... this is a good example of what happens when it becomes taboo to correct people for being incorrect.

Had someone somewhere in that first person's past been "allowed" to correct without being chastised for being "grammar police"... maybe that person could have won some money :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   chick3112215

chick3112215

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

we have a guy with a fair trailer that says "sausage Sangwich" on the side of it, my boss at work offers to take us out to lunch for a sammich, as soon as I figure out what that is I might stop at the trailer or go out to lunch... They just don't teach english anymore, and 4 years ago we had a V.P. candidate who dropped every "G" in every word that should have had one. ohwell, rant over. My son has a key cell phone and if he ever texted me C U L8R I would shove that phone where the sun does not shine.
Oh and Stewart +10000000

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Wheel of Fortune has always required exact pronunciations. This isn't new, and has happened before.

So I guess my answer is "no".

So if you have a speech defect, don't even try out for the show.

I hate Wheel of Fortune.

Get Hollywood Squares back.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,682 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

People from Dracut, Massachusetts say, "Youse guys". I wonder if that would be a wrong answer if the letters spelled out Y-O-U G-U-Y-S.

I was watching Concentration once when the correct answer to a puzzle was "Archimedes Principle" and when a contestant with really poor enunciation said. "A committee's principle", the host declared that she had correctly solved the puzzle, but by the time they came back from the commercial break, they were concerned that a mistake had been made and had her repeat her answer three or four times before finally ruling that she had not answered correctly and continued the game from there. I would have thought that, with a taped show, they could have just edited that round out and replaced it with another round.

Dumbest answer ever: ST_R_F__M _ _ _. Why waste money on a vowel.? Anyone can see the answer is STYROFOAM HAT!

Trivia question, to be answered without Googling or IMDBing. Who hosted the pilot episode of Wheel of Forutne?

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 December 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

And a paraplegic shouldn't try out for Wipeout.

#15 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

I hate Wheel of Fortune.

Get Hollywood Squares back.

+1. I miss Hollywood Squares :(

#16 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

I've seen this several times where people drop an "s" at the end

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,599 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

As a series link my wife enjoys....early last night we happened to go through 3-4 episodes from Wheel of Fortune.

Despite not reading about this "incident" in advance - both of us immediately noticed that the contestant "screwed up" by not pronouncing the "G" at the end of the word swimming.

Since there was a missing letter (G) at the end of the puzzle, and all punctuation such as an apostrophe are shown up front...there was no excuse for getting the word wrong. All participants are told the rules prior to the show - pronounce words clearly.

After later seeing this thread, we went back and watched that portion of the show 3 more time and agreed - yeah - she simply blew it.

Ironically, there were other contestants on the show this past week who made similar errors in stating puzzle solutions that were incorrect by 1-2 letters. While "nerves" could be a factor - the contestants were clearly wrong in all cases that we observed.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

I don't think I've watch this show in something like 15 years, but I'm pretty sure I remember some similar incidents back then.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#19 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Trivia question, to be answered without Googling or IMDBing. Who hosted the pilot episode of Wheel of Forutne?

I don't know if he was the first, but didn't Chuck Woolery host it at one time?

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,599 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

I don't know if he was the first, but didn't Chuck Woolery host it at one time?

Yes...he did.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall