Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did 'Wheel of Fortune' cheat contestant?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

But he didn't do the pilot. The host of the pilot was Ed Byrnes, AKA "Kookie", from 77 Sunset Strip.

Posted Image

Upon further investigation, Woolery hosted an earlier pilot of essentially the same show but titled Shopper's Bazaar, then Byrnes hosted two pilot episodes which were titled Wheel of Fortune, and he claims in his autobiography that he was drunk during that audition of sorts, and then they went with Chuck Woolery for the first aired episode of the series.

Edd Byrnes admitted in his autobiography "Kookie No More" that he was drunk during the taping of this pilot

-IMDB

Wheel of Fortune
Unaired Pilot 2

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 December 2012 - 09:53 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,171 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

we have a guy with a fair trailer that says "sausage Sangwich" on the side of it, my boss at work offers to take us out to lunch for a sammich, as soon as I figure out what that is I might stop at the trailer or go out to lunch... They just don't teach english anymore, and 4 years ago we had a V.P. candidate who dropped every "G" in every word that should have had one. ohwell, rant over. My son has a key cell phone and if he ever texted me C U L8R I would shove that phone where the sun does not shine.
Oh and Stewart +10000000

"Sangwich" is usually heard in NYC. I've heard it in NJ too, but nowhere else. "Sammich" sounds like something a kid would say, like "psghetti".

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,171 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

People from Dracut, Massachusetts say, "Youse guys". I wonder if that would be a wrong answer if the letters spelled out Y-O-U G-U-Y-S.

I was watching Concentration once when the correct answer to a puzzle was "Archimedes Principle" and when a contestant with really poor enunciation said. "A committee's principle", the host declared that she had correctly solved the puzzle, but by the time they came back from the commercial break, they were concerned that a mistake had been made and had her repeat her answer three or four times before finally ruling that she had not answered correctly and continued the game from there. I would have thought that, with a taped show, they could have just edited that round out and replaced it with another round.

Dumbest answer ever: ST_R_F__M _ _ _. Why waste money on a vowel.? Anyone can see the answer is STYROFOAM HAT!

Trivia question, to be answered without Googling or IMDBing. Who hosted the pilot episode of Wheel of Forutne?

You gotta be kidding, I bet most folks Googled that right away... :lol:

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,171 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

As a series link my wife enjoys....early last night we happened to go through 3-4 episodes from Wheel of Fortune.

Despite not reading about this "incident" in advance - both of us immediately noticed that the contestant "screwed up" by not pronouncing the "G" at the end of the word swimming.

Since there was a missing letter (G) at the end of the puzzle, and all punctuation such as an apostrophe are shown up front...there was no excuse for getting the word wrong. All participants are told the rules prior to the show - pronounce words clearly.

After later seeing this thread, we went back and watched that portion of the show 3 more time and agreed - yeah - she simply blew it.

Ironically, there were other contestants on the show this past week who made similar errors in stating puzzle solutions that were incorrect by 1-2 letters. While "nerves" could be a factor - the contestants were clearly wrong in all cases that we observed.

It's getting to the point where just making yourself understood is acceptable. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, but sometimes it really annoys me.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

As Jethro Bodine once said, "Th' is spelled T...H...E, Th'"
I've heard several voice-over people who seem to overly emphasize every letter, even the supposedly silent ones. Makes me crazy.

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

So if you have a speech defect, don't even try out for the show.

I wouldn't go that far necessarily... but not all can play all things, no matter how politically correct we would like to be for kindness sake.

And a paraplegic shouldn't try out for Wipeout.

You beat me to it, so I didn't have to give an example!

I've seen this several times where people drop an "s" at the end

I think I was in 5th grade when I lost a spelling bee because I heard a plural word but the teacher swore she didn't say it. I spelled the word correctly, but added the "s" at the end to make it plural.

I still say I was correct and that she did say the plural... she may very well have said the word wrong given what I know today about people and incorrect pronunciation... but I still have to take the fall for not 100% verifying (as you see them do in national spelling bees) that the word I thought I heard was the word she actually said.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#27 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,776 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I think I was in 5th grade when I lost a spelling bee because I heard a plural word but the teacher swore she didn't say it. I spelled the word correctly, but added the "s" at the end to make it plural.

I still say I was correct and that she did say the plural... she may very well have said the word wrong given what I know today about people and incorrect pronunciation... but I still have to take the fall for not 100% verifying (as you see them do in national spelling bees) that the word I thought I heard was the word she actually said.

What word was it?

#28 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Get Hollywood Squares back.

It is back -- on MTV2 under the title "Hip Hop Squares."
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#29 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Wheel of Fortune has always required exact pronunciations. This isn't new, and has happened before.

So I guess my answer is "no".

+1 ... I agree ... No.

When we watch, we always listen very carefully to what a contestant says when solving the puzzle. We've seen Pat nix an answer when the pronunctiation wasn't just right.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

But he didn't do the pilot. The host of the pilot was Ed Byrnes, AKA "Kookie", from 77 Sunset Strip.

Upon further investigation, Woolery hosted an earlier pilot of essentially the same show but titled Shopper's Bazaar, then Byrnes hosted two pilot episodes which were titled Wheel of Fortune, and he claims in his autobiography that he was drunk during that audition of sorts, and then they went with Chuck Woolery for the first aired episode of the series.

The Byrnes pilots were essentially the same game as the original pilot with Woolery ... I would not hold a name change against him. :)

You gotta be kidding, I bet most folks Googled that right away... :lol:

And they probably found the right answer (Woolery) instead of the trick answer (Byrnes). :D
At least they didn't Google it and then pretend that they knew all along.

#31 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,054 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

"Sangwich" is usually heard in NYC. I've heard it in NJ too, but nowhere else. "Sammich" sounds like something a kid would say, like "psghetti".

Or something Godwin on Duck Dynasty would say. :lol:

5brUgyvqpXQ

My Setup

#32 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,671 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Her answer didn't change the meaning.

It's a silly game show and they got all exact.

If a Bostonian added an "h" to the word "park" would they say wrong?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#33 OFFLINE   riker7

riker7

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Pat Sajak is never wrong. Never.

#34 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

It's not about meaning. It's about correct spelling and enunciation.

A Boston accent doesn't change how the word is spelled they way leaving a letter off does.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

What word was it?

I can't remember. It was a word, though, that the only difference in the singular and plural was that final "s" at the end... In my case, the teacher swore she had not said the "s" for the plural word. I was in no position to argue, and as I noted... it was really on me for not verifying by asking her to repeat the word a couple of times.

They probably should... and it is a silly game show. Sometimes the puzzle is a slang or vernacular version and in those cases people have gotten the puzzle wrong by pronouncing letters that weren't there in the slang variant too. It cuts both ways.

It's not about meaning. It's about correct spelling and enunciation.

A Boston accent doesn't change how the word is spelled they way leaving a letter off does.

Exactly.

I remember back in the early-to-mid 1980s Chuck Woolery had a "Scrabble" game show. I watched it during breaks from school or days off. It was on NBC I believe.

Originally the show was played with two people... picking 2-at-a-time letter tiles and Chuck giving a pun-laden clue. So you had to figure out the double-meaning in the pun because sometimes one of your two letters wasn't in the word and you would lose a turn.

BUT... the kicker... to solve the puzzle you not only had to say the word BUT also spell the remaining missing letters...

So... if the visible puzzle was "D_N_E_" and the clue pointed you to guess "DANGER"... you also had to spell the missing letters "AGR" in order to win the round.

The funniest episodes were when neither person could spell... and they would have to keep playing and picking tiles even though they both knew the word but neither could spell it... and Chuck would know they had pulled up "stoppers" and were going to lose their turns... and the frustration would be right there in his voice and on his face.

That show got retooled pretty quickly to drop the spelling requirement because it literally killed the pace of the game given the caliber of contestants they were inviting.

#36 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

I remember back in the early-to-mid 1980s Chuck Woolery had a "Scrabble" game show. I watched it during breaks from school or days off. It was on NBC I believe.

Wasn't that "SLINGO"? I've seen a few of the old episodes on GSN, and most of the "new" ones hosted by Bill Ingvall. Inane, but entertaining.....

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,044 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Pat Sajak is never wrong. Never.

!rolling
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#38 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Wasn't that "SLINGO"? I've seen a few of the old episodes on GSN, and most of the "new" ones hosted by Bill Ingvall. Inane, but entertaining.....

You're thinking of "Lingo" (no "S"). But that's a different game show than what Stewart Vernon was talking about, which was indeed called "Scrabble," and aired on NBC's daytime lineup right after "Wheel of Fortune" for a good chunk of the '80s.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#39 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Quite randomly... while looking for clips from Woolery's Scrabble on YouTube... I came to the realization that IF they should ever make a movie about Chuck Woolery (why would they do that? I don't know)... George Clooney should play Woolery.

#40 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

If you'd like to go out with him again, we'll pay for it.

:cool:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...