Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did 'Wheel of Fortune' cheat contestant?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Quite randomly... while looking for clips from Woolery's Scrabble on YouTube... I came to the realization that IF they should ever make a movie about Chuck Woolery (why would they do that? I don't know)... George Clooney should play Woolery.

I can think of a game show host he'd be even better at portraying: his father Nick Clooney (who hosted a show called "The Money Maze," which had a brief run in the mid-1970s).

Of course, they'd probably be even less likely to make a Nick Clooney movie than a Chuck Woolery movie.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

I didn't know his father hosted a gameshow. In fact, I didn't know anyone other than his aunt was ever involved in show business at all.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#43 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

It's not about meaning. It's about correct spelling and enunciation.

A Boston accent doesn't change how the word is spelled they way leaving a letter off does.

Crap. Dropping a g is no different tan adding letters.

If it is about enunciation, ten a Bostonian adding an "h" or saying a clicker is a clicka sure is bad enunciation and stupid.

Or you think every quote in history was pronounced how it is currently spelled.

Wheel of Fortune is a game show for boobs and proved it is run by them as well.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#44 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I didn't know his father hosted a gameshow. In fact, I didn't know anyone other than his aunt was ever involved in show business at all.

Since his one national game show only had a fairly brief run, Nick Clooney was more well-known as a local TV personality in Cincinnati: he was a news anchor and a local talk-show host there for many years.

Here's a shot from the "Money Maze" set, with Nick Clooney at the far right:

Posted Image
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#45 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Looks more like a younger Chuck Barris.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#46 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,495 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Since his one national game show only had a fairly brief run, Nick Clooney was more well-known as a local TV personality in Cincinnati: he was a news anchor and a local talk-show host there for many years.

Here's a shot from the "Money Maze" set, with Nick Clooney at the far right:

Very true, he is still extremely popular here. I'd take Nick Clooney over Nick or Drew Lachey as a celebrity any day.

#47 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Sorry, guys, but this is not a matter of "correct" or "incorrect."

The English language has multiple dialects. Saying "swimmin" is not "incorrect." Wheel of Fortune can use whatever rules they want, but we cannot say it's "incorrect."

I say this as a professional writer with an English degree. I use STANDARD English. It's not correct, it's just standard! But it would behoove to write in the most neutral way possible to convey what I'm trying to say.

#48 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Get Hollywood Squares back.

It is back -- on MTV2 under the title "Hip Hop Squares."

I'm just trying to imagine Paul Lynde saying, "Yo, hommies, watz up?" followed by that smirky laugh of his.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#49 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Sorry, guys, but this is not a matter of "correct" or "incorrect."

The English language has multiple dialects. Saying "swimmin" is not "incorrect." Wheel of Fortune can use whatever rules they want, but we cannot say it's "incorrect."

In the context of the topic at hand - this game show - you are incorrect.

The game has rules, and the contestants are specifically briefed on them prior to each game that they must enunciate all their words clearly and loud enough to be heard. In this case...the contestant simply blew it. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#50 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

The game has rules, and the contestants are specifically briefed on them prior to each game that they must enunciate all their words clearly and loud enough to be heard. In this case...the contestant simply blew it. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last.

+1
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Exactly... they have specific enunciation requirements on the show because of the kind of puzzles and the nature of the game. Sometimes they are using slang and wouldn't have a "G" at the end and someone would be buzzed wrong if they pronounced a G that wasn't there.

The rules are meant to try and guide people to pronounce only what is in the puzzle to be sure the contestant really solves the puzzle and they don't just think he did. Clarity and enunciation are key in the game.

IF you ask for an "M" be sure they know you mean "M" and not "N"... same for "B" and "D"... be clear so they give you the letter you ask for... same goes for solving the puzzle. The contestants are briefed I'm sure on those rules.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#52 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Ha, what? I said Wheel of Fortune can use whatever rules they want. It's as if you read only a couple sentences of my post and then ignored everything else.

I wasn't incorrect. The discussion became about what's "correct" and "incorrect" in modern English. That's what I was addressing.

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I wasn't incorrect. The discussion became about what's "correct" and "incorrect" in modern English. That's what I was addressing.

OK...then again...English is English...dialect is dialect...and slang is slang.

In terms of this topic and this specific game show situation - the contestant's attempt at responding in English according to the rules of the game was incorrect.

I hope this is perhaps a better clarification.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...