Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HBO GO Roku??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Again , What ever

You asked. I answered. Enjoy.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm not getting into a fanboy fight over Directv and roku.

Directv doesn't offer the option on the number one home streaming device.

Did you just get your Roku? Because the HBO thing has been like this for some time now...

#23 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I think this got more heated than it should have. I believe the issue lies between D* and Sony, if I'm not mistaken.

#24 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

My home network is just fine!
I have no issue streaming anything in my house.

I Second this. I have a 30mb down, 5mb up, and on demand stuff downloads quite slowly. Not a big deal for me but it is quite slow considering the service and network capability I have.

#25 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

I Second this. I have a 30mb down, 5mb up, and on demand stuff downloads quite slowly. Not a big deal for me but it is quite slow considering the service and network capability I have.

I asked the OP this but I didn't receive a response...do you wait to start watching On Demand until after it fully downloads?

#26 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Why is it I can't watch HBO GO on my Roku with Directv service??

Am I missing something?

Because you bought the wrong Stuff -:D
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#27 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Of course they don't. Why? It a highly popular device among cord cutters. Thats why. They also have no need to, since they offer the same content via On Demand.

There isn't any cord cutting risk to D* to cooperate because one must subscribe to HBO (thru D*).

It would be lovely for HBO to step up and authenticate Direct customers w/o D*'s cooperation.

I wish it will happen.

What would D* do? --- drop HBO? Unlikely.

But I agree, if HBO sold streaming subscriptions directly, then cord cutting will ensue.

It is dialectally inevitable -- as content providers demand more, costs go up to consumers, and eventually people balk. I am close. Don't like paying this much.

Edited by volkl, 22 December 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

I asked the OP this but I didn't receive a response...do you wait to start watching On Demand until after it fully downloads?

+1

I can start watching On Demand programming after 2% is done. It's supposed to be a 1:1 ratio between program length and download time, meaning a 30 minute show takes 30 minutes to download. I've noticed differently on my setup though. Seems closer to 1:.75.

#29 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

I wonder if my PS3 can?

Nope, only Samsung Smart TVs and Xbox 360 consoles are supported with DirecTV at this time.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#30 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Yes, I always wait until the download is finished. I usually download shows for future viewing.

#31 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

My son switched to Time Warner, and HBO Go on the Roku wasn't THE reason, but it was A reason. He didn't need or want multiple D* receivers in his apartment so that he could watch HBO series in his bedroom.

I go back and forth on what I'll do. Paying for 2 services didn't last long for me, so I canceled cable and added HBO back with D*.

#32 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

Sounds like you have you have some issues with your home network if it is taking you that long with those speeds. It shouldn't.

I have a 20/2 connection and can stream anything and everything else without any issues.

I get Vudu in their super duper HDX and it works without any issue. I can buy an HD movie from Amazon and have it fully downloaded in very short order. I can't get D* On Demand to download anything in a reasonable timeframe. 2 hours for 30 minute show. 6 or more for a movie.

It doesn't work well for me and never has. Absolutely everything else works perfectly.

#33 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

I have a 20/2 connection and can stream anything and everything else without any issues.

I get Vudu in their super duper HDX and it works without any issue. I can buy an HD movie from Amazon and have it fully downloaded in very short order. I can't get D* On Demand to download anything in a reasonable timeframe. 2 hours for 30 minute show. 6 or more for a movie.

It doesn't work well for me and never has. Absolutely everything else works perfectly.

That's odd. I can always begin watching something from On Demand within a minute of beginning the download. As has been said, you do not need to wait until it has been fully downloaded.

#34 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Because you bought the wrong Stuff -:D

:lol: Apparently

#35 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

That's odd. I can always begin watching something from On Demand within a minute of beginning the download. As has been said, you do not need to wait until it has been fully downloaded.

Within a Minute?, maybe with in 20.
I never said you had to wait for a fully downloaded ON demand.

Anthing under 50% can cause intteruption. Thats why the download progress is RED and not Green under 50%.

Don't tell me you can watch a movie without interuption with only 2% downloaded. I don't believe that for a second.

I've had Directv ON DEMAND long enough to know how it works, and Fast is not a word that would ever describe it.

Maybe you guys all have 100MBPS services then.

I have 15/2
I have a Dual Band 900 MBPS wireless router that has no issue with steaming on multiple devices.

#36 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

Same here.

When I did a boardwalk empire last week, it took 55 minutes to do a 65 Minute On Demand. A movie for sure would be well over and hour maybe 2.

Roku would have been instant!

Thats ok guys I figured out a way to do it without directv.
Thanks!

#37 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Anthing under 50% can cause intteruption. Thats why the download progress is RED and not Green under 50%.

Don't tell me you can watch a movie without interuption with only 2% downloaded. I don't believe that for a second.

I've had Directv ON DEMAND long enough to know how it works, and Fast is not a word that would ever describe it.

I have 15/2
I have a Dual Band 900 MBPS wireless router that has no issue with steaming on multiple devices.

Yesterday, had friends over for a couple movies. The Netflix blu ray of Megamind was messed up so we did On Demand. Watched it as soon as it showed up in the playlist and never got caught buffering. That is typical for my downloads. Never have to wait.

I have 20/5 fios.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#38 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

Same here.

When I did a boardwalk empire last week, it took 55 minutes to do a 65 Minute On Demand. A movie for sure would be well over and hour maybe 2.

Roku would have been instant!

Thats ok guys I figured out a way to do it without directv.
Thanks!

If the download takes less time than the show, that is instant. You just can't fast forward.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#39 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

I have 15/2

Yes, within a minute. Every time.

#40 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

You have something wrong somewhere on your end.

I have 15mbps internet service and stream and watch DTV on demand HD after only a minute of buffering. This is with either a HR-24 or HR-34.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...