Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do the charges on my bill look right?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

I have been thinking about changing my DirecTV package lately to help reduce my bill. I just don't dedicate much time to watching TV anymore. I have four entire series from HBO and SHO recorded and have not watched one episode. The price of what I paid for service since my first year with DirecTV in 1997 has almost doubled.

Does your bill look like mine? Just want to compare with other DirecTV users before I make a move. Seems like a lot of fees to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

If you have all that stuff recorded, why not drop all the Premium channels for 3 months and see how it goes. You could always add one or more of them back.

You also could call and ask them if they have any specials that they can let you have and help with your bill.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I agree with that. As long as they weren't from on demand but recorded normally, you will still be able to watch them without subscribing to that premium.

You can also get rid of the HD extra pack, and use the trial.

The protection plan is personal preference.

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Man thats high, but it all depends on your preference you have all the movie channels so that why its so high.

#5 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

You basically have everything they offer minus the sports pack which would put you in Premier package. Trim the fat and cut the services you don't use.

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Your Paying $18.50 in Taxes you went doing that long before either.

Fed -State- Local Gov't Passing the savings on to you.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Your Paying $18.50 in Taxes you went doing that long before either.

That was very difficult to read lol. Florida has a tax that puts most states to shame when it comes to communication services.

#8 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

What i would do is cancel the HD Pack and keep HBO and use the Cinemax free for 3 months offer and cancel the other Premiums. Or you can keep HD Pack and cancel all of the Premiums. If you refer a friend (which i am enjoying now) for $10 a month for 12 months discount, that will also help.
I used to have TWC and paid about $165 a month, as i used to pay $45 a month for Premiums, but i realized that having one Premium plus a free one for 3 months is fine with me.
Just though of something........why not upgrade to the Ultimate? You could cancel the Premiums and/or HD Pack and save about $50 a month and for only about $6 a month you get 7 Encore channels and 2 TMC's.
P.S. I would also get rid of the Insurance......that will save you a few dollars which you could use and keep the HD Pack.

Edited by lipcrkr, 22 December 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

The prices DirecTV charges are very comparable in the industry. If you switch, after the first to second year your bill is going to be very similar with what you have now with the same level of service. Unlike other companies, DirecTV fights against price increases which is why Viacom channels went out for awhile. Your tax is ridiculous! Blame Florida for that. I've ran across numerous accounts that don't even pay satellite tax. The tax field has 0.00.
If you do not watch TV much drop the movies, the hd extra pack, and the choice xtra which is the 3rd highest costing package. Get entertainment for 54.99.

#10 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

If you have the capability, for movies, check out Netflix. Try free for 30 days and then if you keep it, it's only under $10.00 a month. A lot of movies are in HD and you can watch as many as you want when you want, commerical free and uncut. They have added a bunch of great movies. They also have a lot of tv series and shows, such as the Tudors uncut, as it was presented by Showtime.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#11 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

To answer the actual question, those charges look "correct". Whether that is "right", well...

I pay just a little less than that monthly. I'm also in Central Florida (Winter Haven to be precise) so I also pay the same kind of taxes. I don't have all of the premium channels that you do but I have a receiver in just about every room which adds up. Your bill charges actually kind of drove that home for me just now.

I haven't yet gone to one of the new packages where the HD and DVR charges are broken out separately, still grandfathered on the Plus HD DVR package and unless I have a compelling reason to change will probably continue that way until they do away with the separate HD charge (I know, they'll just raise the base package price to offset it when they do but what the hey...)
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#12 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

If you have the capability, for movies, check out Netflix. Try free for 30 days and then if you keep it, it's only under $10.00 a month. A lot of movies are in HD and you can watch as many as you want when you want, commerical free and uncut. They have added a bunch of great movies. They also have a lot of tv series and shows, such as the Tudors uncut, as it was presented by Showtime.

Netflix has a lot of good streaming movies...that I watched 5 - 10 years ago!

I was browsing their new movies the other night and amongst those offerings was a Doris Day movie from 50 years ago.

If the streaming movies had the same offerings as the DVD mailing service it would be a lot more to my liking. Right now it's main value to me is as an on demand service for episodes of TV shows. Granted, most of those are also old shows that I already watched years ago but I find that is what I end up acctually viewing through Netflix, and even that is kind of infrequent

Every month when the charge hits, my wife and I grouse and talk about pulling the plug. Then we decide to let it continue through the billing period we already just paid for and make an effort to actually use it this month.

Then the cycle begins again. Lather...rinse...repeat.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Part of the problem with streaming is the studios. But putting Netflix streaming with Amazon Prime and Redbox, the combination is not bad.

#14 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

That was very difficult to read lol. Florida has a tax that puts most states to shame when it comes to communication services.

That's the Price of NOT having a Sate Income tax -Good that u Don't have one -Bad for everything else - They make up a revenue Stream that equals a River :lol:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#15 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

I would drop the protection plan, In the 9+ years I have had DirecTV I had only one DVR go bad. They shipped me out a refirb for $20.00.

Many years ago I was told by someone at DirecTV that they always have promotions, you just have to ask. When I do call them (usually only once a year to change a package or ask about an upgrade) I always ask at the end of the call if the have any promotions for long time customers. Sometime I get $10.00 of $15.00 a month off for a period of time. The last three years they have given me a premium package for 6 months. Sometimes just for asking and sometime in conjunction with an upgrade (I have added extra DVR's, whole home, and a HR34 recently). I know some on the forum don't agree, but I see no harm in picking up the phone and asking if there is a promotion. I do the same with my internet and cell phone providers and usually always get some kind of discount.

#16 OFFLINE   acer

acer

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

I would drop the protection plan, In the 9+ years I have had DirecTV I had only one DVR go bad. They shipped me out a refirb for $20.00.

Many years ago I was told by someone at DirecTV that they always have promotions, you just have to ask. When I do call them (usually only once a year to change a package or ask about an upgrade) I always ask at the end of the call if the have any promotions for long time customers. Sometime I get $10.00 of $15.00 a month off for a period of time. The last three years they have given me a premium package for 6 months. Sometimes just for asking and sometime in conjunction with an upgrade (I have added extra DVR's, whole home, and a HR34 recently). I know some on the forum don't agree, but I see no harm in picking up the phone and asking if there is a promotion. I do the same with my internet and cell phone providers and usually always get some kind of discount.

I used to work in the shoppers department, or ACE, at DirecTV and oh my gosh..PLEASE do not recommend people call in for discounts. It does not matter how long you have been with them. I have seen people who have been with us for years who do not qualify for a discount because of their payment history. Not every customer qualifies for a discount and if you call and ask for one it is going to annoy the agent and they are most likely going to tell you no you need to downgrade your package, bundle you internet services, or tell you about the referal a friend offers. You can't just call in asking for a discount, you have to be clever with it. "I can't afford to pay my bills as I lost my job, and my children really love Sprout and I would hate to take that away from them. What can you do for me"...."I can definelty help with that! I understand your kids like Sprout which is only in your package or higher so as you've been a valued loyal customer with us, have 10 off for 1 yr". Clever... ;-) You have to make a sob story without directly asking for a discount and you will get one.

#17 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

I recently added HBO with Cinemax free for 3 months. Within a few weeks, I'm already running out of things I want to watch on either of those premium channels. So if that was my bill, I would drop the $45 prem. charge. Also, HD extra. I use Redbox. Get the movies I really care about for $0.50 to $1.00.

I would keep the protection package.

#18 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

You can't just call in asking for a discount, you have to be clever with it. "I can't afford to pay my bills as I lost my job, and my children really love Sprout and I would hate to take that away from them. What can you do for me"...."I can definelty help with that! I understand your kids like Sprout which is only in your package or higher so as you've been a valued loyal customer with us, have 10 off for 1 yr". Clever... ;-) You have to make a sob story without directly asking for a discount and you will get one.

I just ask if I qualify for any discounts. I don't make up a sob story or lie. I figure the worst they can say is no. I am always pleasant and don't give them a hard time. I also don't call very often, maybe once a year, most recently when I had to have them remount my dish due to a new roof. I would think a call asking if you qualify for promotions would be preferable to a made up sob story.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I used to work in the shoppers department, or ACE, at DirecTV and oh my gosh..PLEASE do not recommend people call in for discounts. It does not matter how long you have been with them. I have seen people who have been with us for years who do not qualify for a discount because of their payment history. Not every customer qualifies for a discount and if you call and ask for one it is going to annoy the agent and they are most likely going to tell you no you need to downgrade your package, bundle you internet services, or tell you about the referal a friend offers. You can't just call in asking for a discount, you have to be clever with it. "I can't afford to pay my bills as I lost my job, and my children really love Sprout and I would hate to take that away from them. What can you do for me"...."I can definelty help with that! I understand your kids like Sprout which is only in your package or higher so as you've been a valued loyal customer with us, have 10 off for 1 yr". Clever... ;-) You have to make a sob story without directly asking for a discount and you will get one.

I've never had an issue getting a discount. I subscribe to HBO when True Blood comes back, and I always call and ask if there is any promotion going on for it. So far I've always gotten a discount on it for at least three months. If they said no, I'd add it anyway. Or last year when I asked if there were any Sunday Ticket promotions, and the first offer she have me was free.

Unless that's a different kind of discount....

#20 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Netflix is a waste of money. Red Box is the way to go if you want to watch anything that was released this decade.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...