Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 vs HR34 better PQ?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Except most of us here aren't arguing.

Some are trying to ascertain if there's a visible difference between the two.

I've concluded that with my Sammies, there is not. YMMV.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

The HR24-500 uses RGB colorspace while YPbPr is the standard and what virtually every TV expects to see.

RGB 4:4:4 is 8 bit and YPbPr 4:2:2 is normally 10 bit, but can be 12 bit.

As thus, the YPbPr would have more detail (2 more bit of data 10 v 8).

So in that case, the HR34-700 at 10 bit YPbPr should look better than 8 bit RGB in the HR24-500.

It all has to get to RGB in the end, as those are the primary colors. It is the quality of the decoder that matters most in this case, that goes from YPbPr to RGBHV, wherever it happens, in the set top box or TV. RGBHV is actually the "purest" signal, in video terms. YPbPr/YCbCr/YUV are color difference signals and are the first stage of "squeezing" a signal down to a smaller more manageable size for transport, in the encoding process. Then you go to an "S" video signal (Y/C) , then composite and finally to composite riding on a modulated radio frequency (RF).
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Put simply...one would think that since the HR34 has newer components inside...it has the potential to do the better video presentation, however, it also comes does down to what HDTV you use to connect with.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

......and what cables, and what switchers, and what AV receiver, and what video processor/scalar......
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

......and what cables, and what switchers, and what AV receiver, and what video processor/scalar......

Agree.

#26 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

....and what refrigerator and other transformers are hooked up in your home, injecting all sorts of noise into your home electric! :D
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#27 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Maybe I am having a placebo effect? But, to me. This new HR34 looks to have better pq then my HR24. Is this possible?

It's funny that you brought this up. We just got an HR34 the other day. Both my wife and I thought the PQ was better than the HR21, that used to be there. Placebo came to mind right away.

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

....and what refrigerator and other transformers are hooked up in your home, injecting all sorts of noise into your home electric! :D

Uh....uh....that's probably where the line needs to be drawn... :D

#29 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I hear tin foil being unfurled in the kitchen.....

:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#30 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Maybe I am having a placebo effect? But, to me. This new HR34 looks to have better pq then my HR24. Is this possible?

It the EoW effect.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#31 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

It all has to get to RGB in the end, as those are the primary colors. It is the quality of the decoder that matters most in this case, that goes from YPbPr to RGBHV, wherever it happens, in the set top box or TV. RGBHV is actually the "purest" signal, in video terms. YPbPr/YCbCr/YUV are color difference signals and are the first stage of "squeezing" a signal down to a smaller more manageable size for transport, in the encoding process. Then you go to an "S" video signal (Y/C) , then composite and finally to composite riding on a modulated radio frequency (RF).

Better go ask Joel Silver for a refresher course.

Yes, it has to get to RGB, but RGB is 8 bit resolution and YCbCr is 10 bit resolution.

As for squeezing the signal, all YCbCr does is eliminate the green since it is the dominate color in white which allows much greater effiencency. Simple 6th grade math allows the green to recovered without loss.

#32 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Which is exactly why there is a $2k filter before the AC hits the equipment.

And the refrigerator and other things are not clipping or squaring the AC Sine Wave as a APC UPS does.

#33 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Every new generation of HD DVRs has the potential to include newer electronic components inside, including graphics chips.

It's fair to say that as the HR24's and HR34's were released...they reflected some of the more current technology and have the potential to present HD as well as older models.

That said, it still comes down to what actual HDTV you happen to connect up to the HD DVR as well.

Put simply...one would think that since the HR34 has newer components inside...it has the potential to do the better video presentation, however, it also comes does down to what HDTV you use to connect with.

:confused:

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#34 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

:confused:

For example, when the first Scientific Atlanta HD DVRs came out in mass around 2004, the DVI/HDMI digitial circuit was not that good. A better picture could be had connecting the unit via component. In fact, many early Digital circuits could not pass a pristine picture which the analog connections could.

As 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation chips/circuits were built, they got better and better and better. The HR34 and HR24 are the newest publicly available technology from D* so have the possibility and probability of having better circuits/chips than older units - although much of the technology was to shrink the size of the chips.

However, it all comes down to the HDTV. There are still plenty of HDTV's being sold today that cannot display 1920x1080p or 24fps. In most cases, a $1000 HDTV will probably not look as good as a $5,000 HDTV - and thats why he states in the end it comes down to what the HDTV can display.

You can put the best driver in the world in a Prius and its not going to outperform a ferrari.

#35 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

That depends on your definition of perform
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#36 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

For example,

Thanks, but I understood the concept. Just wondered why he posted it twice.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks, but I understood the concept. Just wondered why he posted it twice.

For those who didn't "get it" the first time... :rolleyes:

#38 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Better go ask Joel Silver for a refresher course.

Yes, it has to get to RGB, but RGB is 8 bit resolution and YCbCr is 10 bit resolution.

As for squeezing the signal, all YCbCr does is eliminate the green since it is the dominate color in white which allows much greater effiencency. Simple 6th grade math allows the green to recovered without loss.

Sounds like someone else needs the refresher:

http://www.hdmi.org/...center/faq.aspx

HDMI 1.3:

Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.

I think I know what happens from RGBHV to YCbCr and how it derives its color difference signals. I also know that it uses simple math to recreate the original RGBHV signal, but what I said stands as you actually stated, it gets rid of information from the original, making it smaller for transport/storage, etc., hence why I said a TRUE statement that it "squeezes" the signal (trying to put it in layman's terms). It is also more than just "eliminating the green" as you say.

I knew all his WELL before I ever became ISF certified. That was just a label I needed and wanted for business purposes. I have been in radio and TV broadcasting since 1987, including running a television transmitter site for an NBC Affiliate, broadcasting radio and TV from the back of an EC-130 aircraft in peacetime and war zones all over the world as well as being the Commandant of the schoolhouse that taught all this information to new personnel. As an aside, I also assisted with the engineer in development of the award winning TAW Rock+ Video Scalar/Processor some 10+ years ago. I've worked with the likes of Kevin Miller (co-founder of ISF), Greg Loewen (Lead THX Video Trainer), Alan Gouger (AVS Forum owner), Phil Tuttobene (TAW, Inc. founder/engineer) and MANY other industry experts from NAB, CEDIA, US Government, Etc.

Get a grip dude, you're not the only so called "expert" here! No reason for the derisive tone and attempted put downs! :/
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#39 OFFLINE   D-Nice

D-Nice

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

The HR24-500 uses RGB colorspace while YPbPr is the standard and what virtually every TV expects to see.

RGB 4:4:4 is 8 bit and YPbPr 4:2:2 is normally 10 bit, but can be 12 bit.

As thus, the YPbPr would have more detail (2 more bit of data 10 v 8).

So in that case, the HR34-700 at 10 bit YPbPr should look better than 8 bit RGB in the HR24-500.

The above color bit depth information is wrong. RGB is fully capable of being 10bit. YPbPr does not have a minimum bit depth of 10bit... and 4:2:2 is only form of YPbPr. It is not by default 10 bit.

Discussing anything above 8bit is irrelevant when discussing broadcast TV (cable and sat), DVD, Bluray and streaming content as they all are mastered/encoded/transmitted in 8bit.

A RGB output should be no different than a YPbPr output all things equal. There are differences between the HR24-500 and other HR24 models, H24/25 and H34... visually and measured. This is not due to RGB vs YPbPr. Its due to chipset differences. The HR24-500 actually measures better than all other DirecTV boxes per calibration software/equipment.

Edited by D-Nice, 23 December 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#40 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

The above color bit depth information is wrong. RGB is fully capable of being 10bit. YPbPr does not have a minimum bit depth of 10bit... and 4:2:2 is only form of YPbPr. It is not by default 10 bit.

Discussing anything above 8bit is irrelevant when discussing broadcast TV (cable and sat), DVD, Bluray and streaming content as they all are mastered/encoded/transmitted in 8bit.

A RGB output should be no different than a YPbPr output all things equal. There are differences between the HR24-500 and other HR24 models, H24/25 and H34... visually and measured. This is not due to RGB vs YPbPr. Its due to chipset differences. The HR24-500 actually measures better than all other DirecTV boxes per calibration software/equipment.

Any real supporting source ? URL ?

spam firewall