Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EHD question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   azbohunter

azbohunter

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Will this work for DVR with the 211K

Western Digital My Book Essentials 1TB
USB 3.0 Desktop Black Hard Drives -
WDBACW0010HBK-NESN

$59.00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

Check to make sure the EHD is backwards compatible with USB 2.0. Otherwise, it will work. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

WDBACW0010HBK-NESN

$59.00

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

so far all USB 3.0 are backward compatible

#4 OFFLINE   azbohunter

azbohunter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

This is what I have found and I know nothing to very little about this stuff!
Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility
WDBACW0010HBK-NESN

Connectivity today; speed for tomorrow
Up to 3x faster transfer rates with USB 3.0
Automatic, continuous backup
Hardware encryption, password protection,Data Transfer Rate on USB 480Mbits/s

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Data Transfer Rate on USB 480Mbits/s

- it's USB 2.0 value

#6 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

WDBACW0010HBK-NESN

$59.00

Ummm
Nice price.

Where can I get this?

thanks

#7 OFFLINE   azbohunter

azbohunter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

Ummm
Nice price.

Where can I get this?

thanks

It was on a special at Fry's Electronics but not sure it is available??? I ordered it for a store pickup but have not been there yet!

#8 OFFLINE   rovenorth

rovenorth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm curious, azbohunter, whether you purchased this unit, are using it, and what your impressions are. It looks to me like a good match with the 211K, at a nice price.

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Crap "In Store Only" and I'm hundreds of miles from the nearest Fry's :(

Edited by CeeWoo, 10 January 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   azbohunter

azbohunter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I ordered it for in store pickup in Phoenix,AZ and was told I would receive a confirmation email as to availability and never did, so I assumed it was not available???

#11 OFFLINE   rovenorth

rovenorth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Well by golly, I just got back from Fry's! Stopped along the way to let my dogs have a run, and one got a real good shot of skunk juice. Hope it isn't some kind of omen! Skunks in broad daylight ... that just ain't fair.

I will post a follow up on this; could be someone out there will be interested. It seems there's no consensus on the "best" external hard drive for the 211K (or I suppose any other Dish receiver for that matter), but I did search around quite a lot on the Internet and saw there are some happy "I hooked it up and it worked!" users out there.

Current Fry's price here in Disneyland (aka California) is $69. They've got a fifteen day satisfaction guarantee on hard drives (their usual period on all sorts of merchandise is thirty days), so I'm going to put it through its paces asap.

These forums are terrific ... I've been learning a lot ... thanks to all ...

#12 OFFLINE   rovenorth

rovenorth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Gosh darn it, I'll ask your forgiveness, I am new to posting. I think a section of my last post got omitted. Anyway, abh, maybe give the Phoenix store a call? Local Fry's says they have plenty. I happened to ask before making the drive. Best wishes ...

#13 OFFLINE   azbohunter

azbohunter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Went to the local Fry's yesterday in Phoenix and they have it in stock but would not honor my online order for pickup price. Was told it was a one day sale only and had to be picked up that day. I explained that I never got the confirmation email for pickup but no one would listen to my crying!
I have an older WD but is only 80GB, just curious if that would work and how much HD it would hold? Anyone? I have read 10-12 GB per hour...just thought it might be worth trying just for a movie or ball game or two.
Thanks

#14 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Went to the local Fry's yesterday in Phoenix and they have it in stock but would not honor my online order for pickup price. Was told it was a one day sale only and had to be picked up that day. I explained that I never got the confirmation email for pickup but no one would listen to my crying!
I have an older WD but is only 80GB, just curious if that would work and how much HD it would hold? Anyone? I have read 10-12 GB per hour...just thought it might be worth trying just for a movie or ball game or two.
Thanks

One hour of High action HD recording is closer to 2-4gb.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

It seems there's no consensus on the "best" external hard drive for the 211K (or I suppose any other Dish receiver for that matter), but I did search around quite a lot on the Internet and saw there are some happy "I hooked it up and it worked!" users out there.

As long as you go with setups made by hard drive manufacturers you should be okay. I've found that third party configurations often use drives that are OEM and as such, the warranties are somewhat more difficult to resolve.

It isn't like over on the other side of the fence where choosing the right combination seems to have risen to the level of an art form.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   rovenorth

rovenorth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Dang it, I am sorry to read they wouldn't honor that price for you with the mixup and all, ABH. For what it's worth, so far so good with mine. A nice unit. I'm willing to bet a buck it'll come up on sale again.

Scouring around the Internet, I also saw there were a fair number of others with comparable specs at comparable prices.

Best ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...