Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dead HR23-700

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I've got a HR23-700 that's plugged into a APC. Probably should have replaced the battey a long time ago. It's about 3 1/2 years old.
We experienced a power failure that lasted a day and a half. Now that we've got power back, the HR-23 seems to be dead with the exception of the power light on the left hand side. The blue light in the middle is not on. The TV says 'No signal'.
Reseating the access card and pushing the red button to set it does nothing.
Plugging it into a outlet that's good does nothing.
Any ideas? Time to replace both?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,738 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

You have done the normal testing.
I would call them for a replacement.
For the APC you could check the battery and see if the unit works after it charges some. If it doesn't you might need to replace the APC also.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Two other things:

1) Try other power (eliminate the UPS as part of the problem)

2) Unplug for an hour, then plug in the power and wait 10 minutes (sometimes it takes a long time to raise a previously-unpowered DVR from the dead)

If still nothing, then you really have done all you can do.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Two other things:

2) Unplug for an hour, then plug in the power and wait 10 minutes (sometimes it takes a long time to raise a previously-unpowered DVR from the dead)

1. Did that.

2. Did that also and then I could smell it, so that takes care of that. It had been 8 or 9 hours since the power came back on before I tried it. The TV and the DVD player worked OK.

Just ordered an HR24 and BBC's from Solid Signal, as well as an APC 550, through Amazon.
Had some credit from Amazon, so I used it.
Thanks for the replies.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,738 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I have my APC plugged into the wall. Then I have a surge suppressor that has EMI and RFI noise filtering plugged into the APC. My components are plugged into the surge suppressor.

I have a 23 and 24 and the 24 is noticably faster than the 23. Hopefully yours will be also.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

I have my APC plugged into the wall. Then I have a surge suppressor that has EMI and RFI noise filtering plugged into the APC. My components are plugged into the surge suppressor.

I have a 23 and 24 and the 24 is noticably faster than the 23. Hopefully yours will be also.

Just FYI, I called one of the manufacturers of UPS devices and was told that surge protectors before and after the UPS are not a problem. "Just overkill" since the UPS devices have surge protection of their own.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,738 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Just FYI, I called one of the manufacturers of UPS devices and was told that surge protectors before and after the UPS are not a problem. "Just overkill" since the UPS devices have surge protection of their own.

Rich

I am using it as Overkill for sure, but also to get the line noise filtering.
We, my son and me, feel like we get a better picture and better sound using them. Could also just be wishful thinking.

I have had a lot of power from the electric company problems in the last year as well as a nearby lightning strike.

The surge suppresor has about 5x the protection in Jules ratings as the UPS.

#8 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Two other things:

I second this. After a power outage, and using a good APC, my hr20-100 would not startup. Tried different outlet, unplugged for 10 minutes --- nothing.

Ordered a replacement using the protection plan. When the refurbed hr21 arrived I decided to plug in the bad hr20-100 one last time, and it has worked flawlessly since. Cannot figure out what happened.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,166 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I second this. After a power outage, and using a good APC, my hr20-100 would not startup. Tried different outlet, unplugged for 10 minutes --- nothing.

Ordered a replacement using the protection plan. When the refurbed hr21 arrived I decided to plug in the bad hr20-100 one last time, and it has worked flawlessly since. Cannot figure out what happened.

Every NR brings a little surprise for everybody. Mostly bad surprises. This one seems pretty good.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...