Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possibly removing protection plan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,621 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

How long do you have to have protection plan before they incur fees if removed too early? I have PP since February because they added receivers with zinwell multiswitch and tacked on the plan without my knowledge, since I didn't sign anything, but I decided to keep it anyway just in case but know I deciding to remove it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I don't think there are strings attached to dropping the plan.
If you took out the plan and used it and then tried to drop it, there might be a problem.

I would call customer service about this and see what they say.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Dahammer

Dahammer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'm a new subscriber (a little less than a month) and the way I read what they sent about it, was that you have 30 days to cancel it without incurring a penalty. If you cancel it at after the 30 days and before 1 year has passed, there is a $10 fee.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Looks like Illinois is a bit different, but I don't understand what they are saying for it either.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'm a new subscriber (a little less than a month) and the way I read what they sent about it, was that you have 30 days to cancel it without incurring a penalty. If you cancel it at after the 30 days and before 1 year has passed, there is a $10 fee.

Exactly. You basically have a one year agreement with the PP. If you don't cancel during your anniversary month, there is a $10 termination fee.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

This is the extra Illinois language:

Illinois Residents: You may cancel this Plan for any reason at any time. If you cancel within thirty (30) days of contract purchase, and we have not paid a claim, you will receive a full refund, less a cancellation fee of $50.00 or 10% of the Plan price. If you cancel after thirty (30) days or anytime after we pay a claim, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the Plan price based on the days remaining, less any claims that have been paid, less a cancellation fee of $50.00 or 10% of the Plan price.

http://www.directv.c..._plan_terms.pdf

Not understanding where the $50 is coming from.
Only reason I mention it is the OP is in Illinois.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

This is the extra Illinois language:

Illinois Residents: You may cancel this Plan for any reason at any time. If you cancel within thirty (30) days of contract purchase, and we have not paid a claim, you will receive a full refund, less a cancellation fee of $50.00 or 10% of the Plan price. If you cancel after thirty (30) days or anytime after we pay a claim, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the Plan price based on the days remaining, less any claims that have been paid, less a cancellation fee of $50.00 or 10% of the Plan price.

http://www.directv.c..._plan_terms.pdf

Not understanding where the $50 is coming from.
Only reason I mention it is the OP is in Illinois.

If they paid a claim / service call and you canceled the $50 would be to cover the service call they made. ???

I do not now or ever have had it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

But it says that the $50 applies even if a claim hasn't been paid.

#9 OFFLINE   Mark40930

Mark40930

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

I would try to call them to see if they can explain it better, if necessary have them escalate to a supervisor so that you have the right information.

D* Setup:
1 x HR24-500 DVR

FTA Setup (in storage):
HotDish 90cm dish
Invacom Linear/Circular LNBF
Openbox S16 HD receiver

Another circumstance, too, worried me in those days: that there was no on like me and I was unlike anyone else. - Dostoyevsky

Protected By... spam firewall...And...