Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting Hopper to older (2004ish) 1080i HDTV?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Badfish740

Badfish740

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I finally got all of my cable run and I'm ready to schedule my Hopper installation. For right now the Hopper will be mated with an old HDTV (Samsung TX-P2764) set that I got for free years ago when some friends were moving and no longer wanted it. I've never put an HD signal through to it I'm hoping to once I get the Hopper (I have an SD DVR receiver now). I want to make sure that I have I need to connect the Hopper to the TV for when the tech comes. The TV has a DVI input but I haven't had much luck getting a signal through it. In an effort to try to view internet content on the TV I bought a DVI to HDMI adapter and connected the TV to my laptop. All I got was a blue screen when I selected the DVI input. I read up a little bit and it sounds like HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) is causing the problem. I also read that you can get around this by using a component to DVI adapter. I found this picture of the back of the Hopper:

Posted Image

On top are the component connectors I'm used to seeing (red and white audio, yellow video), but what are the connectors on the bottom? Do I need an adapter for some or all of those?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

ESATA - Future use
2 USB ports - Sling Adapter/EHD/OTA
Digital Optical Output - Digital optical output/Toslink
Ethernet - Internet

I also use an HDMI to DVI converter on 2007 65 inch that I have connected to one of my Hoppers and it works great. Every once in a while I'll get an HDCP message but resetting the HDMI cable from the Hopper fixes it each time.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

On top are the component connectors I'm used to seeing (red and white audio, yellow video), but what are the connectors on the bottom? Do I need an adapter for some or all of those?

The red, white and yellow are actually composite connections and are not HD. The Blue, Green and Red are the component connections used for HD, you would also have to run the red and white rca audio cables for sound.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

DVI comes in two flavors, DVI analog and DVI digital. If your TV only supports analog, and the computer output is Digital, it wont work. The analog red/green/blue connectors should work fine, however.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Your best bet is probably component (red-blue-green) connection. You may want to try out the HDMI -> DVI connector as well. The manual claims that the TV is HDCP-compliant however it may or may not work correctly, considering the age of the TV. It also claims that the DVI input is digital as well.

So I would try the HDMI -> DVI first, and if you can get a signal press MENU on the Hopper remote, go to Settings, Diagnostics, System Status, Page 2 and make sure HDCP is yes. If it isn't, you'd probably be better off with the component connection.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#6 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Your best bet is probably component (red-blue-green) connection. You may want to try out the HDMI -> DVI connector as well. The manual claims that the TV is HDCP-compliant however it may or may not work correctly, considering the age of the TV. It also claims that the DVI input is digital as well.

So I would try the HDMI -> DVI first, and if you can get a signal press MENU on the Hopper remote, go to Settings, Diagnostics, System Status, Page 2 and make sure HDCP is yes. If it isn't, you'd probably be better off with the component connection.

Agreed, I have a Zenith that is about that old that I run 1080i via the component connectors from my Hopper and it works fine.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

Protected By... spam firewall...And...