Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Largest External HD- HR-21 ??

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rorkin

rorkin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Several years ago I added a 500 gig ESATA Drive to my hr21.

Was wondering about largest current configuration available and case for that model DVR. TIA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

From what I read it is a 2 Terabyte.
There are a couple of threads on here that address this , type, brand, size, housing, etc.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=160800

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

From what I read it is a 2 Terabyte.
There are a couple of threads on here that address this , type, brand, size, housing, etc.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=160800

That's correct. 2TB is the "present" limit.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,751 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I've wondered if the drive support on the 34 will trickle down, but I'm thinking that it will remain an exclusive feature of the HR34 and up.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

I've wondered if the drive support on the 34 will trickle down, but I'm thinking that it will remain an exclusive feature of the HR34 and up.

Yeah, I agree. With as many 2TB drives as I have (12 on 12 HRs) 2TBs are plenty.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

I know this is a old thread. But has anybody tried a 3 Tera on a HR21 ?

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Don't waste your time.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

2TB limit on all HR2x series...The HR3x, and probably HR4x series can use larger drives. I've started to get to the point that I feel 2TB may be too large. You never get caught up watching, and the bigger the drive, the more you lose if a drive fails with no warning.

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yes, the drive will "work" but you'll only get 2TB's of use out of it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Yes, the drive will "work" but you'll only get 2TB's of use out of it.

I believe there were a few reports of people that couldn't get a larger drive to work at all as well. Since the 2TB are still readily available I recommend still getting the 2TB sizes if you have a HR2x model.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

2TB limit on all HR2x series...The HR3x, and probably HR4x series can use larger drives. I've started to get to the point that I feel 2TB may be too large. You never get caught up watching, and the bigger the drive, the more you lose if a drive fails with no warning.

I try to keep my 2TB drives ~ half full. Seems like they run better without a full HDD, might be my imagination. Just lost a 24-500 yesterday because it wouldn't connect to the other 8 HRs on my MRV properly. Didn't want anything to do with a couple of them, tried everything to get it working properly, been fighting with it since I got it, got fed up and swapped it for another 24.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

why not 4 TB what you can buy now ? ;)

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

IIRC, is a motherboard "restriction" and not DirecTV's
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

It's the ext3 formatting they are using.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

I try to keep my 2TB drives ~ half full. Seems like they run better without a full HDD, might be my imagination. Just lost a 24-500 yesterday because it wouldn't connect to the other 8 HRs on my MRV properly. Didn't want anything to do with a couple of them, tried everything to get it working properly, been fighting with it since I got it, got fed up and swapped it for another 24.

Rich

I had a similar problem recently. It started with one dvr but then randomly affected others. After numerous resets and system and network checks, I finally unplugged and then plugged in the power to the Swim. Now all dvrs are solidly seen by each other.
If you haven' already done so, give this a shot.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

really ? we did discuss the limit - take a look back - read posts here in DTV forums

hint - Linux OS, MBR, EXT3, XFS, GPT. etc ... take your time, don't rush to post

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

I try to keep my 2TB drives ~ half full. Seems like they run better without a full HDD, might be my imagination...

Might just be. It is hard to rationalize how locations on storage media that are not being accessed could have anything to do with problems accessing media in other locations.

Since Linux-based DVRs do not fragment, storage anywhere on the HDD is exactly like storage anywhere else on the HDD, and storage in location A has no bearing whatsoever on storage in location B. The DB structure is still the same. If locations physically far from, near to, or even adjacent to where your targeted file might be have all bits flipped to one or to zero or any combination in between, that is irrelevant to the targeted file. What is on my HDD is just as relevant to that as is what is elsewhere on your HDD, which is not in the slightest.

A completely full HDD? Well, yes, that is a problem. Playback still works fine, but recording is obviously impossible. A near-full HDD on a PC? Problematic indeed, but only because of fragmentation and the necessity for an extents tree file. DVRs; no problem.

And I have run more than a few HDDs completely full on HR's with no issue and no slowdown.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

I had a similar problem recently. It started with one dvr but then randomly affected others. After numerous resets and system and network checks, I finally unplugged and then plugged in the power to the Swim. Now all dvrs are solidly seen by each other.
If you haven' already done so, give this a shot.

Done that, didn't help that HR at all. I'm pretty sure it was the HR itself. None of the other 8 HRs has a problem with MRV. Thanx for the suggestion.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

really ? we did discuss the limit - take a look back - read posts here in DTV forums

hint - Linux OS, MBR, EXT3, XFS, GPT. etc ... take your time, don't rush to post

I sure was in a hurry……….!rolling
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

To bad no body has invented a switch that allows you to plug in several ext hard drives and at a certain time at Night allow it to switch drives so the stream is up to date on both drives so you manually change drives to watch

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

spam firewall