Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Whole Home Network Advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 485 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

I've recently had an HR34 installed to replace an HR21. I've had the whole home service with internet connection between that receiver and another HR21 in another location. Of course the one deca adapter that was on the replaced 21 was removed but there is the other one providing the internet connection.

The set up was a coax cable coming from the wall to a green label splitter with one leg connecting to the receiver by coax with the other leg connecting to a powered deca by coax and an ethernet cable running from the deca to my router. All functions were working, both receivers saw each other and both had an internet connection. The remaining 21 in the other room has a coax cable coming from the wall to a deca and coax from it to the receiver with an ethernet cable from the deca to the receiver.

When the installer came with the 34 he told me I didn't need the powered deca for the internet connection since my router is right by the dvr and I could just run an ethernet cable directly from the dvr to my router. I decided to leave it set up the way it was since everything was working. Since then after getting some feedback from a few people on the forums and also to clear out some cable clutter behind the tv and dvr, I removed the entire powered deca set up and just connected the wall coax to the receiver and directly connected an ethernet cable from it to my router. Again everything is working as before.

My question is that if I replace the remaining HR21 with ( hopefully ) something like an HR24 how would it receive the internet connection since as I understand it the 24 doesn't require an external deca? Even though that 21 isn't watched often it runs into frequent problems. So I can see having to replace it in the near future. There is no nearby ethernet connection for that receiver so if the existing deca set up was removed how would all this work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,153 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

The other receivers connect through the coax connection on them. The HR34 acts as a bridge to all the other receivers. The only Deca I have now is on and old HR23. It is pretty nice to eliminate all the cable clutter!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 485 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

So I can leave all that powered deca off the 34 and if the remaining 21 gets replaced with one not requiring a deca it will still get the internet connection without any connection to its ethernet port. That would be nice.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

So I can leave all that powered deca off the 34 and if the remaining 21 gets replaced with one not requiring a deca it will still get the internet connection without any connection to its ethernet port. That would be nice.

Correct. The HR34, H24, H25, and HR24 all have internal DECAs so that when the coax is connected to them they split out the satellite signal and the Ethernet traffic. The older receivers can't do that which is why they need the external DECA to split those signals. The HR34 makes things very simple as you plug in an Ethernet cable into it and all other receivers can get access to the Internet.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 485 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Got it. Thanks guys and have a great holiday!

spam firewall