Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I was thinking of adding an external drive to my HR20. I was looking at the following item:
http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00829THQE

My questions:
1. Will this drive work with my HR20?
2. About how much recording space will I get with a 3TB external drive?
3. What do I do to set it up?
4. Will I lose all of the recordings that I currently have on the HR20 if I do this? (not a huge deal, just means I'll have to watch a bunch of NCIS over the next few days)

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

1. no
2. nothing
3. nothing
4. no

#3 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

1. no
2. nothing
3. nothing
4. no

Can you tell me what I would need for an external drive? Can you recommend one that would work?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Can you tell me what I would need for an external drive? Can you recommend one that would work?

HR20's are a little picky about the enclosure. Ive used this enclosure:
http://www.amazon.co...=vantec nexstar

paired with this drive:
http://www.amazon.co...rnal hard drive

for several years, before replacing the unit with an HR34.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

You need an eSATA enclosure/dock and a drive with max capacity of 2TB for an HR20. USB only won't work and going with 3TB wastes 1TB and your money.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

There is a very long thread on this that usually remains in the first page of posts. If you want answers they are in there. Or you can just get what the consensus of the thread says, which is any WD Caviar Green drive (EURX is designed for DVRs) and either a ThermalTake or Antec enclosure.

You are not looking for a drive/enclosure combination that "works", you are looking for maximum reliability and minimum problems. Nearly any bargain-basement eSATA drive from the closeout bin at Fry's will "work", but for how long and how well? Since there is no real practical way to back any of these DVR drives up, it is not fun when 400 hours of recordings disappear overnight.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

There is a very long thread on this that usually remains in the first page of posts. If you want answers they are in there. Or you can just get what the consensus of the thread says, which is any WD Caviar Green drive (EURX is designed for DVRs) and either a ThermalTake or Antec enclosure.

You are not looking for a drive/enclosure combination that "works", you are looking for maximum reliability and minimum problems. Nearly any bargain-basement eSATA drive from the closeout bin at Fry's will "work", but for how long and how well? Since there is no real practical way to back any of these DVR drives up, it is not fun when 400 hours of recordings disappear overnight.

Nice post Tom. Do you think my method of backing up programs isn't "practical".... :lol:

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Nice post Tom. Do you think my method of backing up programs isn't "practical".... :lol:

Rich

Rich, I honestly do not know of a practical way other than my way, and some would call that impractical (dual record on multiple DVRs). My comment was generic for the sake of brevity (trying to turn over a new leaf :))

Also, I am not familiar with your method. I would be eager to hear of a method that is practical, or even of one you consider practical.

Of course we have hijacked the thread; unless you feel that it is beneficial to all, please PM me.

What about the Nomad. Does anyone have experience with that? Is that practical? Not really knowing, my best guess would be that if I record 20 hrs a week of TV, that it would probably take me the other 148 hours in the week to back them up that way. But I just don't know.

Happy Holidays, and Feliz Navi, dudes.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

...2. About how much recording space will I get with a 3TB external drive?
3. What do I do to set it up?
4. Will I lose all of the recordings that I currently have on the HR20 if I do this? (not a huge deal, just means I'll have to watch a bunch of NCIS over the next few days)

Well, while force-watching NCIS should be governed by the Geneva convention:

2) A 2 TB drive can hold somewhere between 460-480 hours of MPEG-4 HD video. Going 3 TB, even if that were possible, seems like excess, and a risk not worth taking.

3) Just connect and reboot. The HDR+ uses a hybrid storage system, meaning part of the data and OS is in flash, and part is on the HDD. If you install a bare drive, it will set it up for you. Works pretty neatly, BTW.

4) You SHOULD not. Anytime you do anything slightly out of the ordinary with a HDD, you increase the risk of data loss, but odds are extremely slight that this will be a problem.

The good news: you can have stuff on both drives. The bad news: you can only mount one drive at a time, meaning it takes a reboot to switch drives.

But that is simple; you don't even need to juggle cables. To go to the x drive, power it up for 30 seconds and then do a menu reboot; the x drive will take priority. To go back to the internal, do a menu reboot and turn the power to the x drive off just after the reboot begins, and it will boot to the internal.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Rich, I honestly do not know of a practical way other than my way, and some would call that impractical (dual record on multiple DVRs). My comment was generic for the sake of brevity (trying to turn over a new leaf :))

Also, I am not familiar with your method. I would be eager to hear of a method that is practical, or even of one you consider practical.

Of course we have hijacked the thread; unless you feel that it is beneficial to all, please PM me.

I think most of the good stuff I've learned has been off-topic. I have 12 HRs with 2TB HDDs either in them or on them. Every program recorded is backed up on multiple HRs and I've never lost a program. That I know of. For anyone that's interested, 24TBs is a ridiculous amount of storage.

What about the Nomad. Does anyone have experience with that? Is that practical? Not really knowing, my best guess would be that if I record 20 hrs a week of TV, that it would probably take me the other 148 hours in the week to back them up that way. But I just don't know.

Richierich has a Nomad, you might ask him.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I think most of the good stuff I've learned has been off-topic. I have 12 HRs with 2TB HDDs either in them or on them. Every program recorded is backed up on multiple HRs and I've never lost a program. That I know of. For anyone that's interested, 24TBs is a ridiculous amount of storage...

So your strategy is essentially the same as mine, only I have 4 DVRs with 2 TB on each, and I have still managed to "misplace" a program or two (but I've had 3 drives go belly-up this year). So I guess my setup is only 1/3 as ridiculous :).

I agree; OT is the real gold mine here. Not trying to be a hall monitor, just trying to be polite to the OP. :)

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

So your strategy is essentially the same as mine, only I have 4 DVRs with 2 TB on each, and I have still managed to "misplace" a program or two (but I've had 3 drives go belly-up this year). So I guess my setup is only 1/3 as ridiculous :).

I meant the 24TBs of capacity is really a lot more than anyone needs. Just became something of a hobby for me.

I agree; OT is the real gold mine here. Not trying to be a hall monitor, just trying to be polite to the OP. :)

When folks go off-topic with something worthwhile nobody seems to really mind all that much. When folks go off-topic with nonsense, that's when the Mods seem to step in and I think that's as it should be.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...