Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting note re: audio drop out on R15

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rivergoat

Rivergoat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Depending on the channel/transponder I have the somewhat frequent audio glitches where the audio drops out for a moment (R15-300), the video remains fine. This was noticeable (and annoying) while watching the Sandy Benefit concert. Whichever channel I chose to see it (many were broadcasting) I noticed audio blips. I was recording on the DVR at the same time.

Since the official release of performances is not including all the material, at least material I'm interested in, I wanted to go ahead, glitch or not, and do a save off the DVR. I don't have a video capture card on the PC, so for now went ahead using the old VHS recorder as a storage medium. When I did playback from the DVR, the audio was perfect throughout.

I'm not sure what causes the glitch in real time, but is it possible that the circuitry in the DVR corrects any errors on the fly, and ends up with a better playback?

At least I saved the performances I wanted to intact. I'll save it on DVR should I get a video capture card at a later date.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rivergoat

Rivergoat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

And I'll add a footnote. Watched a local channel last evening with "Jeopardy." At the opening was a momentary audio drop out, so I rewound the program slightly from real time into its stored buffer and re-played the same section. No audio drop out.

If anyone has the technical aspects of what is happening, do share. I hope it's something that a software upgrade will eventually correct.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

I'm betting the issue is between the R15 and your TV if the VCR hears it differently.

Do you have some manner of surround sound on your TV setup?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Rivergoat

Rivergoat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

No. Also, not necessarily the VCR hearing it differently, as I'm not listening to its audio output when I fed off the DVR to archive the Sandy benefit. At that time it was DVR out, and audio played from it through the TV (I have checked any settings on the TV's audio parameters, but haven't fund anything worthy of causing a glitch, and the DVR has Dolby switched off).

It's a pretty basic setup. The RG6 goes to the DVR, an S-Video cable to the TV, RCA for audio to the TV; also RCA audio & video to the VCR, and a set of RCA audio to the Nakamichi receiver to pipe sound into the big stereo speakers. No surround system. While it doesn't drop out on all channels/transponders it doesn't make me think that changing the RCA from the DVR to the TV would do anything. Wondering if somehow the TV audio section can't keep up with the audio it's being fed under some conditions? The TV is about 10 years old, a fine Sony CRT that otherwise is an excellent set for its era. Someday (the way budget is going, about the day pigs fly) a flat panel larger system. Until then....

spam firewall