Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Upgrade" to HR34 question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ghengis

Ghengis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

I currently have a setup with 3 HR-24s and 3 H25s. I have WHDVR so I can use the 3 DVRs from any room so to me that is effectively being able to record 6 programs at once.

Based on this I don't see a reason to move to the HR34 but I have a question about PIP. I read initially that the HR34 would enable PIP (I have yet to understand why none of the current DVRs offer this feature). Is PIP an actual capability on the HR34?

Also, I don;t see it mentioned anywhere but the one thing I dislike about the rooms with the H25s is that I can't pause live TV. Do the C31 clients allow pausing of live TV?

Dave

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,605 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

I currently have a setup with 3 HR-24s and 3 H25s. I have WHDVR so I can use the 3 DVRs from any room so to me that is effectively being able to record 6 programs at once.

Based on this I don't see a reason to move to the HR34 but I have a question about PIP. I read initially that the HR34 would enable PIP (I have yet to understand why none of the current DVRs offer this feature). Is PIP an actual capability on the HR34?

Also, I don;t see it mentioned anywhere but the one thing I dislike about the rooms with the H25s is that I can't pause live TV. Do the C31 clients allow pausing of live TV?

Dave

Yes, and yes.

PiP doesn't work for me IN THAT I much prefer to record multiple events, FF through the dead parts, and watch the action full screen. But, yes, the HR 34, aka Genie does provide PiP.

As to the 25s, I find that I automatically hit R for anything that looks interesting, then switch from the live to the recording at commercial.

You sound like your set up is very.......sound.....:lol:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Dave

The C31 clients do allow pausing of Live TV as they are using a tuner on the HR34. So, with the HR34 and 3 C31 clients, if you have all the clients watching different channels that would still allow the HR34 to be able to watch something else and take advantage of PIP as that would be your fourth and fifth tuners.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

Follow up question. I also am looking to upgrade to a HR34. Is it possible to upgrade without a C31 being installed? I currently have a HR24 in the mancave, R22 in my wife's sewing room, R16 in a sitting area anda R15 in the bedroom. The HR34 would be going into the mancave and the HR24 in the bedroom.

My concern is that I see instances where the C31 gets hung up or are in need of reboots and if this happens to my wife I am a dead man. In addition I do need or want whole home dvr functionallity.

#5 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

C31's are not required. They are optional.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,605 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Some seem to prefer H25s to the C31s as they have their own tuner, but then they don't carry a buffer nor recording capability.

I'd go for whole home, and replace all SD nodes at the same time.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall