Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C31 locks up with multiple 30Skip presses

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wdhendrick

wdhendrick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

I did some searching and couldn't find any discussion of this, which seemed odd since I'm sure others would have discovered it right away as I did. I just had a new HR34 installed with 2 C31 clients. I've been with Directv for 10+ years - most recently coming off a 3 HR2x DVR set up. However, one of the very first things I tried after getting this new system set up is watching a live show on a client. I paused the show for a couple minutes, then hit the 30Skip button multiple times (maybe 4 or 5) to bring it current. When I tried that it just locked up the receiver - picture froze. The only thing I could do was change the channel, then go back to the program I was watching. In doing so of course you lose your buffer, etc. If I leave it 'frozen' it would stay there - over an hour until I just changed the channel. I called Directv about this and they said there were no known issues like this. I'd HAVE to imagine others had this problem right away as I did... although I did not find any discussion of it on here. I do have the 30SKIP enabled, so I was going to revert back to 30SLIP and see if the issue persists.

Anyone else notice this or know of a solution? If it's been discussed, kindly point me to that discussion thread and I'll gladly read through the posts there...

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I did some searching and couldn't find any discussion of this, which seemed odd since I'm sure others would have discovered it right away as I did. I just had a new HR34 installed with 2 C31 clients. I've been with Directv for 10+ years - most recently coming off a 3 HR2x DVR set up. However, one of the very first things I tried after getting this new system set up is watching a live show on a client. I paused the show for a couple minutes, then hit the 30Skip button multiple times (maybe 4 or 5) to bring it current. When I tried that it just locked up the receiver - picture froze. The only thing I could do was change the channel, then go back to the program I was watching. In doing so of course you lose your buffer, etc. If I leave it 'frozen' it would stay there - over an hour until I just changed the channel. I called Directv about this and they said there were no known issues like this. I'd HAVE to imagine others had this problem right away as I did... although I did not find any discussion of it on here. I do have the 30SKIP enabled, so I was going to revert back to 30SLIP and see if the issue persists.

I'm somewhat new to the Genie and client setup, and as they're both relatively new, I can say the software needs a few tweaks here and there. I love 30 SKIP for FB games, and use it occasionally for commercials, but find that reg FF @ 3x works best for me. Until the 30SKIP used in multiples (and 30SKIP even in ones is not supported) settles down, I just use FF for commercials etc. HTH.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   wdhendrick

wdhendrick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

I've used 30SKIP in multiple for the past couple years without issue on my older DVRs (HR 21, etc). Is this a new issue now on the HR34, or should I say client? It appears to work fine with multiple presses on the HR34, it's just the clients that have an issue...

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,450 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

It appears to work fine with multiple presses on the HR34, it's just the clients that have an issue...

Ya. 30SKIP>LIVE lock-up is a known issue, AFAIK. Hopefully the engineers will resolve it ASAP.
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   wdhendrick

wdhendrick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Do you happen to know if it works as it should if I were to switch back to 30SLIP? I'm not at home currently to test - will try that when I get home.

#6 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

The lock up only occurs when you hit the "live" portion. In other words, when you catch up. I've learned to watch the progress bar carefully and keep just slightly behind "live", thus avoiding the lock up.

I don't believe the 30 slip has the same issue. But I am not sure as I only use 30 skip.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Shmirgin44

Shmirgin44

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

I've got this issue as well with my C31's. The HR34 itself does not have the issue. Anyone have anyinsight as to if there's a fix in the works for this? If so, is there an ETA for the release? It's the only thing driving me nuts about the C31s, everything else (speed aside) is working great.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

The issue being lockup when you 30SKIP into live? Don't mean to be smartass about it, but don't do that! Or if that's not the issue you mean, please repost. And, I am certain it'll get fixed at some point; sorry, I can't test at this time.

#9 OFFLINE   benf

benf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

For whatever it's worth the C41 with an HR44 does the same exact thing (freezes up when going from skip/slip into live).  Not all the time but it happened a few times to me yesterday. 

#10 OFFLINE   Shmirgin44

Shmirgin44

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

It's both 30SKIP/30SLIP into live as well as just regular fast forward into live if the buffer doesn't have more than approx 15-20 seconds built up that causes freezing. I can usually stay gar enough back in the buffer to avoid it, just something I never had to worry about with my HR24s. Related to the issue on the C31s, when you 30SKIP/30SLIP into live on the HR34, it freezes momentarily then continues playing. If you  try to FF into live if you're already at live or very close, it'll play the sound signifying an invalid remote entry. In contrast, the HR24s played the sound for both trying to FF or 30SKIP/30SLIP into live. I'm just so used to using the 30SKIP/30SLIP over the years (I prefer it to using FF) that the freezing issue if I run out of buffer on the C31s is a constant nuisance. Since D* already got it right on the HR24s, I'm hoping they can apply the same firmware settings to the HR34 and C31s, although since the HR44 and C41s seem to have the same issue, not sure if that's ever going to be a reality.

#11 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

It boggles the mind that they haven't fixed this bug yet. They have to know about it, right? If so, it should be a "high priority" bug. Is the HW/FW don't by another company?

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

I can see how it might be annoying, but it's also something that's completely avoidable. 

#13 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

I can see how it might be annoying, but it's also something that's completely avoidable. 

And although it's avoidable it's still a bug which should be fixed. There should be nothing the user can do which results in a lock up.

#14 OFFLINE   Shmirgin44

Shmirgin44

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

0x0740 seems to have finally fixed this issue for me.

#15 OFFLINE   wdhendrick

wdhendrick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'm still having this issue - now a year later after me initial post about it.  You mentioned the above update has resolved the issue for you?  How do check the version of my client?  I'm guessing through Settings / Info, etc - something like that.

#16 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Yes, with the menu button and then the 1st listing - I think it is Settings/Help.  Then toggle your "cursor" over to the data field and arrow down to read everything.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   wdhendrick

wdhendrick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

As of this morning (12/16/2013) I'm still on 0x734 - which I would assume is older than 0x0740...  is there a way to force an update to my C31?  I know you used to be able to do that with the old DVRs, don't know if that can be done with these newer clients now...   Thanks in advance!

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,606 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

No, no forcing a d/l onto clients that we know of. 

And forcing updates onto any DVR has its pitfalls. 

spam firewall