Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Setup question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike32280

Mike32280

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Havent visted this site or posted for quite some time....I got a new TV for the bedroom yesterday, so I now finally need to upgrade my SD TiVo box (don't even know the model, it's about 7-8 yrs old) to an HDDVR....I currently have 2 HR20's and have them hard wired into my router with Whole Home active, with a SWM8. I'm thinking about going with the HR34 instead of a HR2x, and adding it to my network.

Just to confirm, this will allow me access to all 9 tuners/3 playlists from all 3 TVs, and all that will need to be done to accomplish this is upgrade my SWM to a SWM16, correct?

Also, what is the difference between "supported" and non-supported MVR...

Thanks!

Edited by Mike32280, 26 December 2012 - 03:13 PM.

D* Customer since 2004
2 HR20-700
Hughes SD Directivo
SWM8

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,979 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

If you get a HR34, confirming you will need to upgrade the SWM8 to a SWM16 due to the number of tuners. SWM8 maxes out at 8.

Supported means you don't use ethernet cabling to each DVR.

You will be able to run CAT5 to the HR34 as a bridge. Only the 34 can do the bridge function.
Then for each other HR20 you add a DECA box to rear of unit.
No CAT5 to each HR20, just the DECA boxes.
The HR34 doesn't need a separate DECA box, its built in.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Since the HR20s are already wired and working fine with WHDS, it is hard to imagine why you would want to re-connect them via DECA.

DIRECTV will probably want to do it when they do their professional installation but it appears to be unnecessary in this situation.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,634 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Actually, connecting them to the DECA cloud has the advantage of keeping the MRV traffic off of the router.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Is using the HR34 as the bridge (instead of a CCK) a "supported" configuration? I'm wondering why the installer was jumping through so many hoops to get a CCK working in my system when he installed the HR34. The ethernet switch that he was connecting the CCK to was right next to the HR34.

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,634 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Yes, although every installer might not be up to date.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike32280

Mike32280

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Actually, connecting them to the DECA cloud has the advantage of keeping the MRV traffic off of the router.

BINGO!
D* Customer since 2004
2 HR20-700
Hughes SD Directivo
SWM8

#8 OFFLINE   Mike32280

Mike32280

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Also, out side of the method of the wiring, and the advantage of keep the traffic off my network, are there any differences to the functionality to supported/nonsupported or as having my account coded as such with D*
D* Customer since 2004
2 HR20-700
Hughes SD Directivo
SWM8

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Also, out side of the method of the wiring, and the advantage of keep the traffic off my network, are there any differences to the functionality to supported/nonsupported or as having my account coded as such with D*

If you have unsupported MRV and you have an issue with MRV, DirecTV will not help you out.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

When you call in for the upgrade ask for "Retention Dept." They can offer you a much better deal than the regular CSR's can.

Good luck.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Actually, this is taken care of by the router's built-in switch (assuming that you don't already use an outboard switch or switches). Unlike hubs, Wi-fi and DECA, switches keep most traffic from places that it doesn't need to go.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

If you have unsupported MRV and you have an issue with MRV, DirecTV will not help you out.

About how much is that worth?

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Actually, this is taken care of by the router's built-in switch (assuming that you don't already use an outboard switch or switches). Unlike hubs, Wi-fi and DECA, switches keep most traffic from places that it doesn't need to go.

Actually dennisj00 is right and his information more appropriate/accurate in the DirecTV infrastructure world.

About how much is that worth?

Merg's information is worth alot - far more than the misinformation we see from Dish customers posting in DirecTV threads about a service and equipment they don't even use themselves. :rolleyes:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,634 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Harsh, it's wonderful to post for posting sake, but you don't even read what you write!

While a switch or router ports do isolate the traffic to designated ports, the bulk of DECA cloud traffic stays off the ROUTER, which is very desirable for the typical home network.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Merg's information is worth alot - far more than the misinformation we see from Dish customers posting in DirecTV threads about a service and equipment they don't even use themselves. :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning the importance or accuracy of Merg's information.

I'm asking someone to put a value on DIRECTV's technical support of DECA.

Much has been said about how valuable/important DIRECTV's technical support is, but few (if any) have expressed that value in terms of hours or dollars saved versus the assistance they got from DBSTalk.

This is about making informed decisions on how to optimize and maintain one's system, not fanboy dogma.

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'm not questioning the importance or accuracy of Merg's information. I'm asking someone to put a value on DIRECTV's technical support of DECA.

Harsh, it's wonderful to post for posting sake, but you don't even read what you write!

While a switch or router ports do isolate the traffic to designated ports, the bulk of DECA cloud traffic stays off the ROUTER, which is very desirable for the typical home network.

Good post Dennis. Maybe now the Dish posters endlessly weaving in & out of the DirecTV threads will be all-the-more informed about something they don't even use themselves.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

The typical home network is running a lot of Wi-fi clients and as such, none of them will see any WHDS traffic. If you have a lot of wired clients, you're probably running outboard switches that also isolate the traffic to relatively specific paths. Either way, traffic that isn't destined for a device probably doesn't appear at the network adapter for that device.

Applying old school reasoning to modern networking is not helping people to understand what's going on.

#18 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,634 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Applying old school reasoning to modern networking is not helping people to understand what's going on.

That's a great statement, however, I have no idea what it means.

You have to realize that the people that visit DBSTalk have somewhat of a clue that their DVR is network capable. You also have to realize that this represents a SMALL minority of DirecTV (or even Dish) customers.

The majority may have a home network, but they have no clue as to what's going on. So there's very little you or I or Directv installers can do to help them understand what's going on.

That's basically the design of Directv's DECA installation and support. The user doesn't have to understand what's going on. It just works. It's the other part of that home network that complicates life. Read the threads about problems with Nomad -- a simple ethernet connection!

I've seen problems with friends and business acquaintances home network that range from a wireless connection to their neighbors wireless to dual runs to a switch - installed by a 'professional' from the Geek squad, mis-matched pairs that work sometimes. . . all of these can create havoc on the home network.

The DirecTV support is valuable -- maybe not to the DBStalk aware customer (and certainly not to YOU!), but it was a smart decision to not pull an ethernet cable to each dvr.

Edited by dennisj00, 29 December 2012 - 12:17 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...