Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What device do I use to connect Comcast cable to my HDTV?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Jan 23, 2013 the local Comcast TV provider is changing over to all digital TV. I have three standard definition TV's that I will replace with HDTV's. Comcast wants $9/month for an STB or $17/month for an STB with DVR, either unit which connects between the Comcast cable and the HDTV(s). I believe I should be able to purchase my own STB's and DVR's at significant savings, but I'm not sure about this . . . can this be done? If so, will someone recommend an STB and an STB with built-in DVR that I can purchase which are both reliable and reasonably priced?

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

I do not have cable. My daughter does.
When Comcast switched to digital here in Texas City, they offered up to 3 converter boxes to each household so that it would convert the signal and send it to the SD tv sets and nothing else had to be done. No cost, no monthly fees, etc.

For HDTV you do need an HD box.

My mother also has Comcast in Georgia and she hooked it up to her HD TV using the coax just like it was originally to the old CRT TV that she previously had. However, this only got her the SD channels since the TV does not go to channel 200 or above where all the HD channels are located. She then gave in and got the HD box and now has HD on her HD TV. She does have to pay extra for that box.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hmmm...I always thought this was a Satellite TV site.

Oh yeah. It is. :D

Then again...there are cable forum sites for Comcrap...uh...Comcast as well.

Here's just one of them...

http://forums.comcast.com/
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hmmm...I always thought this was a Satellite TV site.

Then again...there are cable forum sites for Comcrap...uh...Comcast as well.

Here's just one of them...

http://forums.comcast.com/

This is "mostly" a satellite TV site. This particular part of the forum is described as: Discussion of other home theater equipment such as remotes, screens, cable TV hardware, video processors, and home theater computers (HTPC) . . . which means that my query was posted in the right place.

Thanks for the tip on Comcast forums. I'll move my questions over there.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

This is "mostly" a satellite TV site. This particular part of the forum is described as: Discussion of other home theater equipment such as remotes, screens, cable TV hardware, video processors, and home theater computers (HTPC) . . . which means that my query was posted in the right place.

Thanks for the tip on Comcast forums. I'll move my questions over there.

Yeah..perhaps cable TV hardware like modems for Internet connectivity. Otherwise that other site should help you for what you seek.

The Internet's Satellite Resource on the main page at this site seems self-explanatory.

Best wishes.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Yeah..perhaps cable TV hardware like modems for Internet connectivity. Otherwise that other site should help you for what you seek.

The Internet's Satellite Resource on the main page at this site seems self-explanatory.

Best wishes.

So why over the past few days have you made several posts concerning the passing of Jack Klugman and Charles Durning plus whether or not Wheel of Fortune cheated someone? Those threads hardly seem satellite related.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

So why over the past few days have you made several posts concerning the passing of Jack Klugman and Charles Durning plus whether or not Wheel of Fortune cheated someone? Those threads hardly seem satellite related.

A post stalker huh? :rolleyes:

They are in Off-Topic threads where they belong.

You missed the point - few people would attempt to gain information about cable TV hardware and related topics in a satellite forum, especially when a simple Google search renders numerous cable-related forum locations. I even offered an alternative.

Your personal response is hardly satellite-related either. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Perhaps you should stick to moderating the chat room.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Jan 23, 2013 the local Comcast TV provider is changing over to all digital TV. I have three standard definition TV's that I will replace with HDTV's. Comcast wants $9/month for an STB or $17/month for an STB with DVR, either unit which connects between the Comcast cable and the HDTV(s). I believe I should be able to purchase my own STB's and DVR's at significant savings, but I'm not sure about this . . . can this be done? If so, will someone recommend an STB and an STB with built-in DVR that I can purchase which are both reliable and reasonably priced?

Thanks in advance!

With your cable service, you are stuck with either their STB's or something similar to TiVo, which also has a monthly fee. Come to think of it, isn't Comcast offering a TiVo box?
That being said, you won't need an STB if you only want to watch local, unencrypted channels.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

As to posing the question on Comcast site, I asked what alternatives there might be to Comcast's own boxes. The post was removed within a few minutes..... what a surprise.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Back to the OP's question. If you have anything beyond basic channels, you will need a device that can accommodate cablecards, (that your cable company should be able to supply), like a newer Tivo unit. Otherwise, you have no choice but to use their STBs/DVRs because those are the only devices that will handle authorization for your programming package.

#12 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I am currently a Comcast subscriber.

To the OP:

1. I believe that most, if not all Comcast franchises have upgraded to all-digital. If your local franchise is digital, and depending on which programming package you have, you will need one of the following for each display you wish to connect to cable:

- a DTA converter - first 2 (3 in some areas) are free of charge
- an SD stb, or
- an HD stb, or
- an HD DVR, or
- in some cases, a cable card

2. If your local Comcast franchise still offers basic analog channels and you have a cable-ready tv you can still connect directly for those channels.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I am currently a Comcast subscriber.

To the OP:

1. I believe that most, if not all Comcast franchises have upgraded to all-digital. If your local franchise is digital, and depending on which programming package you have, you will need one of the following for each display you wish to connect to cable:

- a DTA converter - first 2 (3 in some areas) are free of charge
- an SD stb, or
- an HD stb, or
- an HD DVR, or
- in some cases, a cable card

2. If your local Comcast franchise still offers basic analog channels and you have a cable-ready tv you can still connect directly for those channels.

Well, cmon now, isn't that basically what I just said? ;)

Much better detail, thanks Nick.

#14 OFFLINE   Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

if you have a QAM tuner on your HDTV, you can get the locals in HD over basic cable :D

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

if you have a QAM tuner on your HDTV, you can get the locals in HD over basic cable :D

Now that's a rather quixotic* viewpoint, but true in my experience! :lol:

Welcome to DBSTalk, Sancho!

*OK, a real stretch to make some reference to Don Quixote.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

thanks for the welcome; Sancho Panza is my favorite CUBAN cigar, named after the character in the book...

federal law currently mandates they carry all locals in HD; with mine I get a few other stations, too...

have a Radio Shack way cable splitter, 2 Comcast HD boxes (1 HD DVR), 4 HDTV's in my den for college football season and a Radio Shack Remote control, powered antenna for back-up...Comcast can go down, too...

or, have a sorry picture for the Super Bowl, so I went OTA...

formerly HDirecTV customer and Dishnet HD DVR customer...

Edited by Sancho Panza, 22 February 2013 - 09:15 AM.
add Super Bowl ref

#17 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

I just have comcast Internet and I run another line from the main cable line coming from outside using a splitter (no cable service) and just connect the cable to your HDTV's QAM tuner and watch your locals HD and digitally scanned channels through the TV (after TV scanning obviously) YMMV, Of course it won't work if they used a tap to block the signal.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#18 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

While comcast was doing the upgrade-they gave the "boxes" to subs for free- Now that upgrades are complete -they are charging a Fee for them.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#19 OFFLINE   Davedude

Davedude

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend a Tivo Premier with cable card, the fee would be $15 for the first year and $13 there after. I have three networked together, can watch any recorded show on the three from any of the other units and can download most shows to my PC to watch there or take on the road. MyTivo.com allows you to setup shows to record remotely (over the internet), if you forget to set the DVR.

#20 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Comcast CSRs don't know that HD tvs come with tuners and can't speak with you unless you have a BOX. It is standard Comcast policy to install an SD box to your HD tv, the 1st box is usually free. A standard HD box is $10 a month, with an $8.95 monthly advanced service fee, so $18.95 a month for the 1st HD box. As of my last conversation with them they don't charge extra for color!

spam firewall