Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mike White named 2012 Executive of the Year by MultiChannel News

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Interesting article about the future of television, Directv, etc.

http://www.multichan...ke-white/140895

Edited by Satelliteracer, 26 December 2012 - 07:54 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Interesting article.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Forgot about DirecTV-15.

#4 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

My experiences over the past month prove that he has quite a chore on this: "honing in on improved customer service."

Seems that being a loyal customer for 17 years means very little to them when it comes to upgrading equipment. Finally got one HR24 and bought the rest from Solid Signal.

#5 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 945 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Satelliteracer,

Thanks for posting this!

I really like this part:

[MultiChannel.com:] DirecTV has always been considered as kind of the high-end provider in the TV business. Does that work for or against you in this economy?

[Mike White:] I know that is the perception and it’s true that our ARPU is high in that regard, relative to some of our competitors, but we’re actually a tale of two cities. We have a great brand and we have some very high-end customers who are terrific customers. But we also are big provider in more rural states and in parts of the country and even in other areas where we are a good value. You actually have to do both. When I look at our business, I’m very concerned in ensuring there is a balance.

When you look at our customer base, it represents all of America. You can’t have 20 million households and only be serving CEOs and celebrities. And we need that scale. We need to be 20 million subs to have sufficient ability to manage our content costs. And even then it’s hard.

I have had DirecTV since 1998. Lots of changes. This includes amounts of individual channels, costs, and new technology (especially with high definition). The overall value has kept me for what is now close to 15 years. I'm one who wants a full slate of HD (for those programmers carried only in SD by DirecTV). Eventually that will become the norm with every cable-television provider. (Whenever exactly.)

DirecTV ranks No. 2 in cable-television subscribers. (Comcast is No. 1.) I do appreciate that Mike White makes himself aware of the customers (who they are and where they reside). That the "balance" is necessary. That the costs control (for however much there can be "control") are critical because, as White notes, the economy is demanding of that of so many. That the "high-end customers" reputation isn't necessarily ... all-that.

It's important to understand why DirecTV is No. 2: value. The choice made by subscribers (established and new) for DirecTV is with regard for overall value and such balance (carried programming and subscription packages' costs; along with picture quality). I've been very critical of DirecTV for having been behind on basic-cable HD. (More so in my first year here, 2010, and in 2011 rather than 2012.) DirecTV did play catch-up, quite noticably, this year with additions like BBC America HD and Nat Geo Wild HD. (And DirecTV has some chief competitors beat on adding the HD of freshman Disney Junior; there are others who don't carry it in even SD.) But, at the same time, my area cable-television competitors haven't offered anything enticing enough to lure me away.

#6 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Starting to get nervous about the March price increases, but the comments about the GUI and search/discovery sound interesting.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#7 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Satelliteracer,

Thanks for posting this!

I really like this part:

[MultiChannel.com:] DirecTV has always been considered as kind of the high-end provider in the TV business. Does that work for or against you in this economy?

[Mike White:] I know that is the perception and it’s true that our ARPU is high in that regard, relative to some of our competitors, but we’re actually a tale of two cities. We have a great brand and we have some very high-end customers who are terrific customers. But we also are big provider in more rural states and in parts of the country and even in other areas where we are a good value. You actually have to do both. When I look at our business, I’m very concerned in ensuring there is a balance.

When you look at our customer base, it represents all of America. You can’t have 20 million households and only be serving CEOs and celebrities. And we need that scale. We need to be 20 million subs to have sufficient ability to manage our content costs. And even then it’s hard.

I have had DirecTV since 1998. Lots of changes. This includes amounts of individual channels, costs, and new technology (especially with high definition). The overall value has kept me for what is now close to 15 years. I'm one who wants a full slate of HD (for those programmers carried only in SD by DirecTV). Eventually that will become the norm with every cable-television provider. (Whenever exactly.)

DirecTV ranks No. 2 in cable-television subscribers. (Comcast is No. 1.) I do appreciate that Mike White makes himself aware of the customers (who they are and where they reside). That the "balance" is necessary. That the costs control (for however much there can be "control") are critical because, as White notes, the economy is demanding of that of so many. That the "high-end customers" reputation isn't necessarily ... all-that.

It's important to understand why DirecTV is No. 2: value. The choice made by subscribers (established and new) for DirecTV is with regard for overall value and such balance (carried programming and subscription packages' costs; along with picture quality). I've been very critical of DirecTV for having been behind on basic-cable HD. (More so in my first year here, 2010, and in 2011 rather than 2012.) DirecTV did play catch-up, quite noticably, this year with additions like BBC America HD and Nat Geo Wild HD. (And DirecTV has some chief competitors beat on adding the HD of freshman Disney Junior; there are others who don't carry it in even SD.) But, at the same time, my area cable-television competitors haven't offered anything enticing enough to lure me away.

comcast has been cutting HD channels and most of there boxes and many big areas are still stuck with the 90's GUI and poorly layed out channel maps.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#8 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 945 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

comcast has been cutting HD channels and most of there boxes and many big areas are still stuck with the 90's GUI and poorly layed out channel maps.

I read that it's been prevalent with multiscreens of premium-movie programmers' HD. I haven't had Comcast since the 1990s. It was before the digital expansion (channels in three-digits numbers). Best a cable company reliably can deliver is with high-speed Internet. For programming, I am with the best option available to me specifically with DirecTV. It's not uncommon for consumers to have separate providers for their personal "Triple Play."

#9 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

GUI and search/discovery sound interesting.

???

#10 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

very last sentence in the interview:

"We have a bunch of things we’re working on for next year to take our search and discovery and user interface to a whole other level for customers and well have more to say about that next year, I don’t think we can ever stop running."
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

He makes it sound like something big is going to be announced in this new ad, but that timeframe is essentially, now. If it were something big, wouldn't we have a first look by now?

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

He makes it sound like something big is going to be announced in this new ad, but that timeframe is essentially, now. If it were something big, wouldn't we have a first look by now?

I think that some at his level may not have a fully tied down date.

and next year is a long time.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

In all honesty....Mike White has done a better job than I had originally anticipated.

I think two of his greatest strengths are that he's a "people person/approachable" and also realizes it's good business to listen to a range of ideas to consider more than one possibility.

We saw those things in action in the "Undercover Boss" episode.

Nice award.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I think that some at his level may not have a fully tied down date.

and next year is a long time.

He was talking about the advertising for the Genie during the BCS bowl games.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...