Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Transponder Maps: Domestic & DLA ~ Data 5/13/2015

• Please log in to reply
915 replies to this topic

#176 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Doctor J Comments for the 8/7/2013 Data:

HD INTERNATIONAL CHANNELS, NEW IN *TEST

NETWORK     NAME     CHANNEL     SATELLITE    NOTES_0                     NOTES_1

3      *beINHD      426       D7S @119W    beIN SPORT en Espanol HD    beIN International Sports

3      *ESPDHD      432       D7S @119W    ESPN Deportes HD            ESPN Deportes HD

This is a new step in evolution to keep an eye on.  Here are two HD/MPEG4 channels being tested

on D7S @119W – a satellite that presently provides no HD channels.

#177 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,740 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

This is a new step in evolution to keep an eye on.  Here are two HD/MPEG4 channels being tested
on D7S @119W – a satellite that presently provides no HD channels.

It already has 2 HD channels, 405 MegaTV HD and 408 UniMas West HD are on the same transponder.

Edited by KyL416, 08 August 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#178 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

It already has 2 HD channels, 405 MegaTV HD and 408 UniMas West HD are on the same transponder.

Like I said, these will be the 3'rd and 4'th HD channels for D7S........

:bang

#179 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Gary, somehow last reports here missing TPN column, is it a glitch ?

#180 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

If the question is about Post #176, for example - then no, it is not a glitch.  I have precious little geography to provide a quick perspective of the changes, so many fields of the records are necessarily left out of the 'Doctor J Comments' posts.

The complete records, with all fields, are always found in theweekly  TPN Map Excel.

#181 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL / Caracas Venezuela

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thanks;

Found additional techie stuff and photos for this new DLA LNBF on an unofficial blog site for DIRECTV Uruguay;    

http://dtvuruguay.bl...ectv-latam.html

You can try Google translate or some other to convert to English, but the grammatical errors in the translation process makes for difficult reading many times. At least for Google Translate which I used.

I do wonder though since this new LNB will use IF down block signals from 450-700MHz when Intelsat 30/31 are operational if a type of Latin American "Low Band Converter" for that band which accomplishes what the BBC does for DIRECTV USA or a LA version of the H/HR23 receiver if not another altogether new model with wideband tuners chips like the H/HR23 is going to be necessary?

As, at least in the U.S., DIRECTV receiver tuners capable of operating in (non-SWiM) legacy mode can't receive frequencies much below 900 MHz excepting the H/HR23.     

I don't think they need to use down block signals @ CATV frequencies for satellite (My guess)

The lnbf you post has similar specs than a Universal LNBF (Astra Type) Basically they can use a set up just like old times when (only had Ku) and they had a Sat A / Sat B switch (0 KHz / 22 KHz tone)

For MDU the LNBF will require 4 Outputs.....

If they want to Stack signals in a single coax then they have enough space from what I'm reading they plan to use only 250 MHz (10.95 GHz to 11.2 GHz) and 750 MHz (11.45 GHz to 12.2 GHz)

Normally FSS or BSS use 500 MHz or 950 MHz to 1450 MHz when down converted to L-band

My best guess is that they have enough space in L-Band (950 MHz to 2150 MHz or 1200 MHz in space)

Regards.

Edited by Rafael, 13 August 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#182 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL / Caracas Venezuela

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm guessing this might have been asked before and might be off topic for this thread, but I am looking for information concerning receiving Directv Puerto Rico via the US satellites (110 and 103) in other Caribbean islands.

I live in St. Lucia (14N 61W) and yesterday tried getting a signal from 103 using a 6' dish with the SL3 LNB McGyvered into place but found nothing. We had the 21 volt power inserter and with a Super Buddy either through the power inserter or via a 6 x 8 switch got nothing.

At this point I really don't know if there is a problem with my connections, fitment of the LNB to the Channel Master LNB bracket or (I hope not) a lack of signal.... I'm also unsure as to the transponder frequency if correct via the Super Buddy defaults. I have the latest files on the unit.

I'm hoping that Raphael might chime in on this as he always has his thumb on the pulse of receiving the various services around the Caribbean.

Feel free to move this post if necessary.

I look forward to hearing anything on this subject.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

It's been a long time (since DBSForums) hope you are well.

I heard somebody setting up a dish in Belize, but I have to see it working to believe it. 

The combination is very tricky because you need to de - combine and re- combine with a diplexer and also you then need to use power inserters.....

not only that Ka is very high efficient beam.....probably the spaceways aren't so perfectly shaped as all other newer Ka birds....

I guess it doesn't hurt to try but I think you might have a better chance with Dishnetwork....have you tried 72.7 W?

Regards.

Edited by Rafael, 13 August 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#183 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

@Chris,

if you have a tablet with GPS, compass, WiFi - download app what allow you to see where the sat, then stay behind your 3m dish and try again

or if you'll offer a round trip from San Jose... I would bring spectrum analyzer and the tablet ;)

Edited by P Smith, 13 August 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#184 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,698 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

I don't think they need to use down block signals @ CATV frequencies for satellite (My guess)

The lnbf you post has similar specs than a Universal LNBF (Astra Type) Basically they can use a set up just like old times when (only had Ku) and they had a Sat A / Sat B switch (0 KHz / 22 KHz tone)

For MDU the LNBF will require 4 Outputs.....

If they want to Stack signals in a single coax then they have enough space from what I'm reading they plan to use only 250 MHz (10.95 GHz to 11.2 GHz) and 750 MHz (11.45 GHz to 12.2 GHz)

Normally FSS or BSS use 500 MHz or 950 MHz to 1450 MHz when down converted to L-band

My best guess is that they have enough space in L-Band (950 MHz to 2150 MHz or 1200 MHz in space)

Regards.

After thinking about it some since I last posted on this question;

My guess is that with the new DLA LNBF, you can have up to two single tuner receivers (or one DVR) in a legacy install connected directly to the two dish outputs with the receiver supplying either 18v nom. for the even transponders and 13v nom. for the odd, with either set on the coaxes between 450-700 MHz and 900-1650 MHz after LNBF conversion.

Or for SWiM installs the two outputs from the DLA LNBF are fed to a SWiM module which polarity locks one coax to the LNBF on even and the other on odd the transponder sets again with both coaxes carrying between 450-700 MHz and 900-1650 MHz.       

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#185 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Doctor J Comments for the 8/14/2013 Data:

HD LIL CHANNEL, REMOVED

NETWORK     NAME     CHANNEL      LIL_MKT    NOTES_0                      NOTES_1

14        WADL        38           56      A3 Detroit 38 WADL IND       Ind from WADLDT-TV, 38, Detroit, MI

HD LIL VIRTUAL CHANNEL, REMOVED

NETWORK     NAME     CHANNEL      LIL_MKT    NOTES_0                      NOTES_1

15        ION         46          201      A3 Wausau 46 ION (Virtual)   ION from ION-TV, 46, Wausau, WI

#186 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,740 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

You might want to do a new run for 95, they shuffled the Korean channels in the 2080s on Saturday to make room for KBS World.

#187 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

You might want to do a new run for 95, they shuffled the Korean channels in the 2080s on Saturday to make room for KBS World.

Thank you!I need to hear if changes suspected for SAT 95.
I do not update weekly since i have to deploy a world direct dish to download data.
I will update 95 for next weeks run
JMJ

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#188 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Why are there two sets of channels listed in the LIl TPN Map for a given city?  I was trying to determine which satellite the San Antonio locals were on and I see one set, designated with A3, on Sat 103W and another set on Sat 101W.

HR24-200

#189 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,540 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Why are there two sets of channels listed in the LIl TPN Map for a given city?  I was trying to determine which satellite the San Antonio locals were on and I see one set, designated with A3, on Sat 103W and another set on Sat 101W.

One is the SD version (on 101) and the other is the HD version.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#190 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,698 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Or more fully;

The channel set labeled many times as "A3" and shaded are in MPEG-4 compression format which is "usually" for HD and carried on the Ka band at 99 or 103, but at times may be SD channels in MPEG-4 on Ka band as well.

The ones not labeled A3 nor shaded are for SD channels carried in the older MPEG-2 comp. format on the Ku band at 95, 101, 110, and 119 (though 110 is only being used for Puerto Rico's market right now).   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#191 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks to Go Beavs & HoTat2 for the information
HR24-200

#192 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Doctor J Comments for the 8/21/13 Data:

The two LIL Channels Removed on the 8/14/13 TPN Map have been Restored in the 8/21/13 data.

As announced on 8/15/13, QVC-HD, Galavision-HD and Playboy-HD have transitioned from Test to In-Service.

#193 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

The new 8/21/13 TPN Map has just been uploaded. 

As Doctor J promised, the 95W data is refreshed and will reflect any recent changes.

#194 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,740 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

With more of the alternates moving to subchannels, along with the part time HD channels that have been using them for a long time, is there anyway you can include them as part of the channel number?

#195 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

I happened to read the Transonder maps thread from last year 2012 and I noticed Directv added local Telemundo HD to many cities,like Houston,EL Paso,New York,L.A and many others.

Orlando has a large latino population and we are missing our local WTMO CD Telemundo HD channel 31 OTA in our Directv local line up.

Next to Univision here in Florida, Telemundo is the second most popular watched latino station.

I looked up Dish's guide and sure enough Telemundo HD 31 is included in their locals as well as the local orlando cable companies.

So I just wanted to know if any of the test experts seen or heard anything in regards to Telemundo being added to Directv's Orlando local line up?....Thanks

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#196 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

I happened to read the Transonder maps thread from last year 2012 and I noticed Directv added local Telemundo HD to many cities,like Houston,EL Paso,New York,L.A and many others.

Orlando has a large latino population and we are missing our local WTMO CD Telemundo HD channel 31 OTA in our Directv local line up.

Next to Univision here in Florida, Telemundo is the second most popular watched latino station.

I looked up Dish's guide and sure enough Telemundo HD 31 is included in their locals as well as the local orlando cable companies.

So I just wanted to know if any of the test experts seen or heard anything in regards to Telemundo being added to Directv's Orlando local line up?....Thanks

John,

You can keep an eye on the 'Hybrid' tab for LIL Test channels.  But:  there are no Telemundo channels for Orlando currently in Test status.

We have a number of really good experts at dbstalk, but none will offer you a very good crystal ball to tell what directions that Directv Marketing is taking.  For real "Inside Information", I would suggest you get to know the folks at your local WTMO Telemundo affiliate.  You may be soon sharing the 'inside word' with the rest of us!

#197 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

John,

You can keep an eye on the 'Hybrid' tab for LIL Test channels.  But:  there are no Telemundo channels for Orlando currently in Test status.

We have a number of really good experts at dbstalk, but none will offer you a very good crystal ball to tell what directions that Directv Marketing is taking.  For real "Inside Information", I would suggest you get to know the folks at your local WTMO Telemundo affiliate.  You may be soon sharing the 'inside word' with the rest of us!

Thanks for the heads up.

I just e-mailed zgsgroup owners of Telemundo Orlando and I also e-mailed Eileen F from Directv for any information that they can provide.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#198 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

With more of the alternates moving to subchannels, along with the part time HD channels that have been using them for a long time, is there anyway you can include them as part of the channel number?

KyL,

My un-researched answer is that I don't believe the requested sub-channel information is included as a part of the channel records.  In the case of the OTA records, the sub-channels are provided, but that is only for OTA.  In the case of LIL records there is some clarity;  for the Anchorage (Market #8)  for example, channel names are KYES, KYESDT3 and KYESDT4.  I fear that convention is not consistently followed.

If you will give me a few examples of channels where this additional sub-channel information would be of value, I will be happy to do some more investigation, to ascertain if this information is provided.

One last resort:  Because the TPN Map is not a protected document, any user could create a custom Map with a complete sub-channel information column added. The problem with this approach is that it would require ongoing disciplined maintenance and will suffer from the inaccuracies of human editing.

#199 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,740 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

The ESPN Alternates, MLB Network Alternate, NBC Sports Network Alternate and the Big Ten Alternates now use subchannels and most of the part time HD channels like Fox Soccer Plus, FS Oklahoma, FS New Orleans, FS Detroit Plus have had them for a long time. In addition to just for basic reference, it would be a good indicator to see if any part time HD channels are going full time or if a future HD addition will be part time. Like when FS San Diego went 24/7 it first appeared in test mode without the subchannel.

I'm not sure what you use to grab the channel list, but if it's anything like the responses when you use the SHEF commands, the subchannel number is listed seperately. Channels without subchannels have FFFF (65535) while those that do have the number.

i.e. using /serial/processCommand?cmd=FA87 or the first 8 characters using FA83
ESPN2 209: 00D1FFFF -> 209-65535
ESPN Alt 209-1: 00D10001 -> 209-1
ESPN2 Alt 209-2: 00D10002 -> 209-2
MLB Network 213: 00D5FFFF -> 213-65535
MLB Network Alternate 213-1: 00D50001 -> 213-1

If you can spot a field or a block of characters with similar data (mostly FFFF, but the occasional 0001, 0002 and whenever the Big Ten Alternates go live 0003 and 0004) maybe you can modify the process to include it in a new column.

Edited by KyL416, 24 August 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#200 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

The ESPN Alternates, MLB Network Alternate, NBC Sports Network Alternate and the Big Ten Alternates now use subchannels and most of the part time HD channels like Fox Soccer Plus, FS Oklahoma, FS New Orleans, FS Detroit Plus have had them for a long time. In addition to just for basic reference, it would be a good indicator to see if any part time HD channels are going full time or if a future HD addition will be part time. Like when FS San Diego went 24/7 it first appeared in test mode without the subchannel....

KyL,

Here is where we are so far:

Those alternate channels do show up in the Guide - as channel "209-1" for example, although it provides "To Be Announced" as the only forthcoming program at this moment in time.

But it seems that at the time of day that we are capturing the data records (very early Wednesday mornings), these alt channels are asleep and off the air.  They DO show up in our data, but as "ESNaHD" type channel names, and without the -1 or -2 shown as part of the name (although the "Alt-1" or "Alt-2" does show up in the Notes0 field).  What happens, I believe: when the records are collected, they are Offline/Inactive - with VPID 1700 (Ka)  or VPID 03AC (Ku).  The software sees these not-in-service channels and salts them away on the Hybrid tab.   We have not missed these channels - they are all there, but on the Hybrids tab.

I currently blank out the Sat and TPN info for these Offline/Inactive channels when they are poked onto the Hybrid tab.  The reason:  these Inactive channels are 'parked' - on D10/TPN9, for instance, for all the Ka Inactives.

Using the SHEF IP Interface commands, 209-1 validates as a VPID 1700, Offline Inactive channel.

Our next endeavor will be to capture the data when we know there are alternate channels alive.  That should provide the kind of information you are hoping to see.

But remember:  we are limited because the TPN Map is just a snapshot of a moment in time.  You many periodically see alternate channels in the CONUS Map, but only if they happen to be alive when the snapshot is taken.

There is more homework to be done.

:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...